Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
stress-strain.jpg
The bolts stretch therefore they are weakened and a second use will do even more the head bolts on LS motors are done the same way it's the material they are made from after market head bolts are not same material. This is short Verison as to why.
z51vett
Doug
Just a technicality, but the bolt is not actually weaker as long as it isn't plastically deformed past it's peak strength. For example, if one stresses a bolt to point "C" on the graph above and releases the load, the bolt will be plastically deformed, but upon reloading, will reach a new higher yield point than originally. This is the concept of "work hardening."

·
Registered
70 Posts
The caliper bolts are TTY.

They need to be replaced asap since you reused them and did not replace them.
Is this no longer required for the 2017's? I ask because I bought what I thought to be the 2017 edition GM service manual for my 2016 SS, however I was mistaken (DOH!), but it states...

I have the PDF version of the GM service manual for the 2017 SS and this is a snippet of page 1035...

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
I dunno...
The printed 2014 service manual calls for caliper mounting bolts to be replaced with new ones if they are removed.
Didn't find the same title on the chart you show. In the 2014 manual the word Reusable isn't present.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Clearly there appears to be different information guidelines for the same threaded fastener in the same usage location in the factory service guides from different years. I was just curious:

1. Has this change from TTY to reusable been seen in other locations for different model years?
2. I doubt this is the case, but is there I different part # for the actual bolt that would indicate GM changed the threaded fastener?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Clearly there appears to be different information guidelines for the same threaded fastener in the same usage location in the factory service guides from different years. I was just curious:

1. Has this change from TTY to reusable been seen in other locations for different model years?
2. I doubt this is the case, but is there I different part # for the actual bolt that would indicate GM changed the threaded fastener?
I did a parts search and the front bolt part# remains the same for the 2014 & 2017, however the rear bolt part# is different. Isn't that because the 2014's have totally different calipers on the rear?

2014 part#'s

2017 part#'s

Reactions: antwerpflash
21 - 28 of 28 Posts