Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get the re-recall for the seat belt cable?

GM Recall #:N202312100
NHTSA #20V638
Date Issued: Oct 15, 2020
Recall Title: Seat Belt Cable Separation – US Only

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014-2016 model year Chevrolet Caprice Police Pursuit Vehicles (PPVs) and Chevrolet SS vehicles that were subject to NHTSA Recall No. 16V518 and may not have received a complete repair under the recall. The flexible steel cable that connects the safety belt to the vehicle at the outside of the front driver seat can fatigue and separate over time if the driver’s movement into the seat repeatedly bends the steel seat belt cable down against the seat edge.

Safety Risk Description:
In a crash, a fatigued cable could break, reducing the effectiveness of the vehicle’s safety belts and increasing the risk of injury to the occupant.

Repair Description:
Dealers will inspect the vehicles to determine whether the new seat trim was installed and, if necessary, replace the trim. Dealers will also inspect and, if necessary, replace the pretensioner cable assembly.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Easy to spot the new seat trim; it matches the '17's.

The recall was apparently cleared by dealers without replacing the trim (or possibly doing anything); the trim had to be made in AU and was delayed.

The 'original' <'17 trim has a completely different rubber slot area for the seatbelt.

... correct trim:

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Yes, i just discovered that i am on this list. My airbag and seat belt recalls were supposedly done back in Dec. 2016. I noted the reference numbers "16007, date, and service #, " and thought seatbelt remedied then. No one home at number for recall dept., I will drop by dealership.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
original recall including 'stop sale':

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy to spot the new seat trim; it matches the '17's.

The recall was apparently cleared by dealers without replacing the trim (or possibly doing anything); the trim had to be made in AU and was delayed.

The 'original' <'17 trim has a completely different rubber slot area for the seatbelt.

... correct trim:

View attachment 285214
Thanks for this. Mine looks like the photo.

It's interesting you say dealers completed the recall without replacing the trim piece. When I made an appointment and took my SS in for the first recall, I opted to wait during the repair. After two hours in the customer waiting area, the service manager told me the repair could not be started because they were missing a part. Makes me wonder if the missing part was this trim piece.

Out of curiosity, any repercussions to dealers doing an incomplete recall or not at all? Callbacks can be costly.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
... original bad trim to be replaced:

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
... new trim:

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Spoke to dealership about this today. They won't bring parts in ahead of time. Asking me to drop off one day for inspection. Drop off another for new part. This won't happen soon. Not in a hurry for scrapes on my seats anyway.
Called a second dealer and same story. Apparently Chevy customers are to stupid to be able to recognize different parts.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yup, just noticed I got the recall. It was in my OnStar report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts