Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to correct mis-drilled license plate mounting holes that were made in the rear valence. Holes are about 1/4" - 3/8" difference in mounting height. Had to file out the holes in the plate to get it straight and now it's time to do a permanent repair so I can mount the plates with some frames. The only good way I can see is to to add some reinforcement on the back side if there is room -- like aluminum or steel bar? -- and drill/tap for machine screws. How difficult is it to remove the valence? Will I need any replacement fasteners or other parts to reinstall? Any other ideas for a solution?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Well nuts. The hole size required to install them is fairly large (1/2" or so). This gives you enough to play with when lining things back up.

As an added bonus they have actual metal threads contained in the rubber grommet. Much better than threading into the plastic valence.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well nuts. The hole size required to install them is fairly large (1/2" or so). This gives you enough to play with when lining things back up.

As an added bonus they have actual metal threads contained in the rubber grommet. Much better than threading into the plastic valence.
I considered using well nuts but concerned about how far they protrude into the valence and drilling the 1/2 inch holes. Suppose I can make a template/guide for the drill. Just looking to make it as factory as possible. Also they may make the frame I'd like to use difficult to work due to sticking out further from the surface and clearance for the camera and lighting. I'll go to Lowes and look at the well nuts again...

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I am eventually going to file the rear plate mount holes square. This way I can insert the conventional square nylon inserts that so many cars come with as standard equipment. Putting big a$$ sheet metal screws into thin plastic ain't to my liking.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Removing the valance is fairly straight forward, but you are removing the whole rear bumper to do it. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
SOOOO here is the funny part!!!!

I stumbled acrosst his very thread,,, when I was dealing with the very same issue,,, and,,, WELL NUTS ROCK!!!! I prolly woulda never thunk of it myself!!! Made my rear plate mount up clean,, and allowed me to use Torx head fasteners to secure the personal plate with my Slimrim!!!

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts