Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some play in my rear suspension, both sides with passenger side being worse.

While out wiggling it around, i can feel the knuckle moving seperatly from the upper control arm. The bushing there must be shot.

With the amount of play I can feel, I doubt that is the only culprit. What have you experienced wearing out in the rear suspension?
Has anyone replaced the upper bushing, which is in the knuckle?

I am not really having any luck finding a replacement in the aftermarket. Any one know of one?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
216 Posts
How many miles Josh? I replaced rear upper control arms because I had rust trouble with the inner bushings - which aren't bushings at all, but joints.

The upper control to knuckle is also a joint, so it doesn't act/feel like a bushing. Lots of motion there.

I also felt there was too much play & wanted to replace while everything was apart - but our best tech took a look & suggested I leave it, as the joint was fine.

Glad he did. 20K miles since & no trouble. FWIW - there is no aftermarket support for that joint, so you'd be replacing GM-with-GM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
I see that now, that the upper and lower control arms attach with a "mono-ball" style joint.

The upper is available for $76 and the lower might be available for $79.

My car has 77,800 miles. Only thing previouly replaced in the suspension since I owned it (32k miles), was the front struts.

I am going to buy BMR toe links and trailing arms. While I have it apart I will better inspect this upper joint to see if it needs replaced.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has front to back play. I can pull up on the toe link and rotate the knuckle.

Video demonstration

Thanks
Josh

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,456 Posts
I have some play in my rear suspension, both sides with passenger side being worse.

While out wiggling it around, i can feel the knuckle moving seperatly from the upper control arm. The bushing there must be shot.

With the amount of play I can feel, I doubt that is the only culprit. What have you experienced wearing out in the rear suspension?
Has anyone replaced the upper bushing, which is in the knuckle?

I am not really having any luck finding a replacement in the aftermarket. Any one know of one?

Thanks,
Josh
Here are a couple of ideas. Click on the installation link for more descriptive information. You can order the kit from the SuperPro USA website for less than what's posted here.
FYI: Our forum resident expert on suspension is 'Navy Lifer' so best to reach out to him if in doubt.
INSTALLATION

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

Superpro does not make a bushing for the joint I am having issue with, as it is a "mono-ball" style joint. A bushing would be a down grade.

I came here searching for some of Navy Lifer's posts. I remebered reading where he was looking into Z/28 parts, which I found interesting.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upper joints are here. I am going to give it a try today to get them replaced.

I installed rhe BMR trailing arms and toe links yesterday.

I did the poly bushings in the knuckle for the trailing arm too. It was not bad at all. I used a 2 jaw puller to remove the stock rubber bushing. It is does not have a metal outer housing, so it comes out pretty easy

·
Registered
128 Posts
What parts did you find for the poly bushings in the last photo?
I did trailing arms and toe links a few weeks back what a difference it made in the feel. Hoping it will help with my 60' times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts