Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kids frequently want to charge their phones while in the back seat. So this weekend, I installed one of these dual 2.1A USB charging ports in the back of the center console. So far, it seems to work great. It was pretty inexpensive, so we'll just have to wait and see how long it lasts. I removed the water-proof cover, as it didn't seem necessary for our application.

The hot wire was routed to the connector on the center console cigarette lighter socket (retained accessory power), and the ground wire to one of the 6mm hex washer head sems screws that fasten the rear of the center console to the floor.

I definitely mounted it higher than I should have. I was attempting to ensure that it cleared the large electrical connector on the floor in the center console but as it turns out, I overdid it. As such, I was forced to notch the bracket/receptacle for the center clip (picture 3) that holds the rear cover on the center console. No matter. The clips still hold the cover in place quite securely. Overall, it was definitely worth the minimal time, money, and effort.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Nice work. That spot is just begging for some sort of power adapter. Always thought it was strange that there wasn't at least a 12v socket back there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why am I NOT surprised that you did this?!?!?
I was thinking of this or a folding cup holder. OK, scratch the cup holder!!
How about this thing and next to it a regular cig power adaptor?? How would you wire two power adaptors side by side in that location safely?? And while your at it, tell me how to hardwire my V1 detector as well !!

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,401 Posts
That's a nice clean installation, and I like the round style with the illuminated read-out.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice work. That spot is just begging for some sort of power adapter. Always thought it was strange that there wasn't at least a 12v socket back there.
My thoughts exactly! Fortunately, there's plenty of room to install your own. And it's a pretty easy job, too.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about this thing and next to it a regular cig power adaptor?? How would you wire two power adaptors side by side in that location safely?? And while your at it, tell me how to hardwire my V1 detector as well !!
I'm pretty sure there's enough room for two of them side by side, if that's what you wanted. Depending on how you plan to use them, you might need to run your hot wire from the fuse panel, or even from the trunk to ensure you tap into a circuit with sufficient current available. I haven't looked into that, as I feel sure that the circuit I tapped is plenty adequate for our needs.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And while your at it, tell me how to hardwire my V1 detector as well !!
I wired my V1 to the switched circuit in the harness for the sunroof. It was months ago, but I think I recall there being a +12V battery wire (hot all the time), as well as a smaller, switched (retained accessory power) +12V wire in the same harness. I used the switched one. I don't remember the wire colors off-hand, but they're pretty easy to find with a simple test light or multi-meter.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If car is off no power to cig I can't run my compressor unless ign on.
Z51vett
Doug
For a heavy-duty application like that, I would string a 10AWG wire from the trunk, and fuse it right at the battery. I just had the back seat out of my car stringing subwoofer-control wire from the trunk to the passenger cabin last weekend. It's not hard at all. The rear seat is surprisingly easy to remove, and stringing wire under the carpet along the transmission hump to the center console was not hard either.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Again, this is a really nice, cheap, easy to do mod. Thanx Raneil86!!
I was looking at Pic3 and I was wondering if that bundle of wires in the lower left of the picture is where you tapped positive+ power?? Keep in mind that I do not have my car yet but this is yet another item on my 'must do' mod list.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, this is a really nice, cheap, easy to do mod. Thanx Raneil86!!
I was looking at Pic3 and I was wondering if that bundle of wires in the lower left of the picture is where you tapped positive+ power?? Keep in mind that I do not have my car yet but this is yet another item on my 'must do' mod list.
No, I didn't touch anything in the harness seen in picture 3. I tapped into the factory connector for the power outlet that's inside the center console compartment. Using a trim too, you can pry the socket loose to access the connector.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thats where i was looking to mount an invertor receptacle and usb ports too, just trying to find right form factor invertor that i could hide under console.

That way kids can charge screens, and i can use or charge my laptop for tuning sessions or times when i have to work out of my car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I ended up doing the same thing this past weekend. I just bought a generic 12V socket since I wanted to be able to connect any other accessories. I used an Aukey dual 2.4A (4.8A total) USB charger since those seem to work very well for me and get very good reviews on Amazon.

1) I popped open the 12V socket in the center console. This piece is extremely stiff and hard to take out. You'll want a extremely thin card or trim tool to get in there then pop it out slowly and evenly. There's not much to break once it's out, but you'll still want to be careful.

2) Once you get the socket pulled, you'll want to tap the purple wire for +12V. I used a 12-16ga tap and dropped the new wire down towards the floor.

3) Next, I popped out the back vent trim which is just held in by a few clips. Grab the lower part of this trim piece by sliding your hand between the piece and the carpet and just pull it out.

4) Then I used a step drill bit to drill a hole of the proper size. Be CONSERVATIVE here and drill SLOWLY! The plastic is pretty soft but you do not want to mess this part up by cracking it or drilling a hole that is too large. Then attach the 12V socket to the hole.

5) I attached the ground wire to the center console rear binding post pictured in the second attachment. It didn't look to be a great ground point but I got a good ground there when testing with a multimeter.

6) I fished the dropped spliced wire out of the front using a coat hanger. It might help to lift up the edges of the center console and fishing it out that way as well. Be VERY careful around this area as the module on the right side attached to the floor of the car is an airbag module.

7) I attached the ground and +12V wire to the newly attached socket and then clipped the vent trim piece back into place.

As the OP stated, you have to be careful with the placement of the socket. I found though, that the socket should be placed as low as possible. This is because the plastic trim piece you attach the socket to is angled up and there is no risk of your socket hitting the floor. If anything, it is in danger of hitting the female clips and other components under the vents. The socket I ordered was a bit deeper than I was hoping for, but it cleared the area just fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Nice ! Brown truck just dropped my latest Amazon package which has a dual USB receptacle in it, guess I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow night :nerd

This will allow wifey's phone which always has a dead battery to sit in back and charge out of my way... I didn't say that out loud did I ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could always go with something like this instead.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts