Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 with Rotofab intake and ARH catted full exhaust and a Livernois performance tune. Occasionally get a P0420 or P0430, even with anti-foulers installed on the rear O2 sensors (Dorman Products - 42004), as some have suggested. It's better with them installed, but not fixed. Livernois no longer tunes out the rear O2 sensors, so I can't ask them for help.

I'm considering using HPTuners to edit out the rear O2 sensors myself. I've heard the Livernois tune is locked so I cannot make any edits. Anybody tried to ahem temporarily disable their rear O2 sensors for track use only with HPTuners when the have a Livernois tune installed? Does the locked tune mean no edits just to the AF ratio maps or to all aspects of the tune?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I welcome a contradiction from someone with experience, but so far, I've read we are locked with the livernois tune. If you have your calibrator, you can put it back to stock and work in hptuners from there. But no, you can't edit the livernois calibration with hptuners.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That's my understanding too although one or two have complained that they weren't able to use HPTuners after removing the LMS tune. LMS has said that isn't the case on here though, there's a thread out there on the forum somewhare.

Now, I have heard rumblings HPTuners is issuing software updates that prevent disabling the rear O2s, so a lot of tuners are not updating their software so as not to be locked out from that. I'm not sure if this is an issue should you purchase the latest HPTuners module+software.

Reactions: oitdmser

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
A recent update to my SCT-X4 removed it. I called SCT to find out why I didn't see it in their menu. I use the device for remote tunes so no issue. But none the less I feel molested and all dirty because the greenies are coming. Why is more power and better gas mileage being outlawed.

·
Registered
2015 Chevy SS Red Hot 2
56 Posts
Exactly why I won't use their service because who locks someone else's property that they paid for? Hope you get it rectified.

Reactions: SS WOT

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
101 Posts
You will not be able to use HPTuners with the Livernois Tune installed. It is pretty common for tuners to lock their tunes to prevent tampering and loss of proprierty data. You will need to uninstall their tune then install your own using HPTuners. Also if you go this route make sure the permanent code is not there before you turn it off otherwise it will forever be there. So you uninstall their tune, erase your codes, drive around long enough until the permanent low efficiency cat code is gone, then install your new tune turning off the code. That way you won't have the permanant code forever and the current code won't get set. If you just turn the code off with the permanent code already there it will never go away. The light will be off but if you pull codes you will see the permanent code. The ECM wont clear the permanent code because it won't be checked and you can't delete a permanant code.

However if this was me I would try a few other things first. Run 2 non-foulers for each O2 to get it out of the stream more. Drill one out and leave other one with small hole. If that doesn't work then stuff medium steel wool in the one non-fouler. If that doesn't work then run an O2 sim in place and cap off the hole.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
A recent update to my SCT-X4 removed it. I called SCT to find out why I didn't see it in their menu. I use the device for remote tunes so no issue. But none the less I feel molested and all dirty because the greenies are coming. Why is more power and better gas mileage being outlawed.
The EPA and DOJ reached an agreement with SCT and Bullydog in 2018, I am surprised it took this long for the "update" .. most of the Ford guys I know with SCT are using older Xcals and the last time I talked to Jerry he was still an engineer at Ford writing tunes on the side.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well, technically it's defeating emissions controls. I know the game, I play it, but not going to complain when hurdles are placed though.

However had the diesel boys not decided to make youtube videos of rolling coal on Priuses, we'd have been left alone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The EPA and DOJ reached an agreement with SCT and Bullydog in 2018, I am surprised it took this long for the "update" .. most of the Ford guys I know with SCT are using older Xcals and the last time I talked to Jerry he was still an engineer at Ford writing tunes on the side.
Excellent advice, thanks.

O2 sim, as in o2 simulator? Where would a guy find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
101 Posts
There are two types of O2 simulators. There are the ones that screw on the end of the O2 sensor that have a mini-catalyst inside and then there are ones that replace the O2 sensor completely with an electronic board to fool the ECM. I would Google search Oxygen Sensor Simulator or O2 sensor simulator and go from there. Maybe check Alibaba or eBay as well. Sorry I don't have personal experience with any of them. Before I installed my ARH headers and high flow cats I turned off the codes in HPTuners to elminate the issue.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Can you still get plug in O2 sims? In the old LS days they were popular to fix the problem (though sometimes unreliable), but I think it's been a good 10 years since I've seen anyone selling them new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts