Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Since I started this thread, my '15 SS rear end whine is still present. It's present under a "lightly loaded" drive line between about 67 mph and 73 mph. My "super hearing" definitely is how I'm hearing it. The service department where I purchased the SS says "what whine".

I went through this exact same issue with my previous 2010 Camaro SS, although the whine was slightly louder. I eventually got the shop foreman to hear that one but he ended up suggesting leaving it "as-is" unless it gets worse. His comment was any sort of replacement might be better or might be worse.

After reading how several of the 6th Gen Camaros are having rear end issues (numerous fluid replacements / replacing entire rear end units), I'll leave mine as-is for now. If it gets worse, I'll have it worked on.

I have a similar sound from 82-83mph. It starts part way through 82 and is gone by 84. I rarely drive at these speeds so I am not too concerned with it. Maybe if I get an LSA one day, I will change out the gears to the G8 2.97 or whatever, to turn a couple fewer rpm's on the highway.

I might be added to this. My 2014 has a whine that is similar to that I had in my 2008 G8 GT. It's at mild speeds 40-65 and goes up an down in pitch with acceleration and deceleration. Not sure if it's just me picking at a sound or a real issue. :/

I get a whine usually around 70-75, it originates from the passenger side.It seems to come and go and is really only present when my wife is there.

whine round 70 mph

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it is isolated but good to stay on top of it in case others come across it.
The "whine" (more of a front end whine) is still noticeable from about 65 to 75 mph. If I lightly tap the accelerator at these speeds, like tapping to the beat of music, it is very noticeable on the push,and immediately goes away when foot off the peddle. Is it the fuel pump? the transmission? the valve lifters? They said to take it by and have a drive with a service tech sitting and to listening----at least I can easily replicate the noise. I have not taken it in yet due to my tight schedule. Luckily, it is not getting worse, and I don't hear it (as much) with the radio on.

My fear is that it is in the category of, "better to leave it alone and get used to it" or "we have no idea".

definitely have dealer document/diagnose it!

gosh, i suppose it could be the fuel pump. to find out, do the same test at same speed but in neutral gear.

if it's not the fuel pump then it could be normal rear axle pinion gear. Not sure if I can hear that noise on my SS because THE TIRES ARE SO FRICKING LOUD now that they are half-worn-out at 11k miles. They sure do grip however! Oh yeah!

some pinion gear noise is normal as far as i know. compare with another of same car if you can find one, to see if it's any different.
i understand pinion gear noise is a design tradeoff between performance vs noise, bunch factors involved in how much of it is audible. like *bushings*.
5 years and 55k miles ago after upgrade of GTO suspension from factory to pedders the pinion gear noise got way louder/more-audible. due to bushings I suppose/guess.

fwiw, i understand that the reason for the break-in spec on the car is due to gears - pinion gear included. i'd be interested to see tech/metallurgical/whatever engineering analysis of a gear-set that had been broken in exactly per spec, compared with one that was broken in exactly opposite to spec.

ps - new chevy sonic stickshift has similar break-in procedure to SS specified for the first 200&500 miles - *avoid using engine to decelerate the vehicle during the first 500 miles* . I almost never downshift to slow down, but use engine braking in whatever gear plenty. :| So I did certainly take my foot off the gas on the highway and elsewhere while in whatever gear, to let the car slowly slow down. Did i violate the break-in spec - should i have shifted to neutral and used brake pedal lightly every time i needed to decelerate for more than a second? :|

I took it by the dealer, but they didn't have anyone available to take a drive and listen--So, I made an appointment next Friday....

I did notice that when I put it in neutral at 70 mph and rev slightly in a similar manner, it goes away---so therefore likely in torque converter/transmission/pinion? Ugh.

This seems like something I fear will fall into one of three categories:

1. I have no idea what that is.
2. Whatever it is, sounds like something you will just have to get used to.
3. It will likely be very extensive work to diagnose and fix, and no guarantee that it will.

So my experience with the Front Engine RWD GM cars is that they have a lot of drivetrain noises and GM doesn't always do the best job in isolating them. The fact that the G8 fix was to replace the tranny mount supports this.

Slight drive line sounds (whines) are not always a sign of mechanical issue, when they become progressively louder or more pronounced is when I tend to worry.

I'd suggest that if the GM techs can't find an issue ask them to document that you came in for it in case it does become an issue and you are outside of warranty.

So my experience with the Front Engine RWD GM cars is that they have a lot of drivetrain noises and GM doesn't always do the best job in isolating them. The fact that the G8 fix was to replace the tranny mount supports this.

Slight drive line sounds (whines) are not always a sign of mechanical issue, when they become progressively louder or more pronounced is when I tend to worry.

I'd suggest that if the GM techs can't find an issue ask them to document that you came in for it in case it does become an issue and you are outside of warranty.
2017 Chevy ss whine 82 to 83 mph slight load sixth gear only, not fifth. Differential changed out still there. Dealer would like to give it one more shot tomorrow am.

2017 Chevy ss whine 82 to 83 mph slight load sixth gear only, not fifth. Differential changed out still there. Dealer would like to give it one more shot tomorrow am.
Why did they change out the diff? At the same speed (82mph) the diff (and driveshaft) are turning the same speed regardless of gear selected in the transmission. More likely to be a transmission issue than rear end in this case.

It is the tranny, and it's most likely normal. If it was loud enough to not be normal, you would have an easier time finding the source of the noise. Gear underdrive and gear overdrive generates a whine noise. The further you get away from straight through (1:1), the more susceptible to noise. Plus, 6th gear is under a slightly higher load.

Reactions: Pinetree and 2074
Same noise from same trans in my 2016 Silverado at just those speeds. Can't fathom that the dealer thought it was the diff.

Same noise from same trans in my 2016 Silverado at just those speeds. Can't fathom that the dealer thought it was the diff.
None of us have heard this noise other than "chevy ss" and the dealership techs, how do we know its the same noise as a entirely different vehicle with a different transmission? We can't say its normal or not since we haven't heard it. His dealership is pursuing fixing it and got approval from GM to swap the diff, so there is some evidence that the dealership and GM believe its not normal at this point. IMO, if its loud and other SS's with the same drivetrain don't make the noise, then its likely not normal and can be corrected. Even if the transmission isn't "bad" he may have a sympathetic vibration emanating from the transmission that causes this noise. The trans could operate fine, but due to varying tolerances and stack, wind up with different vibrational frequencies than another identical trans. Just a for example, not a diagnosis.

None of us have heard this noise other than "chevy ss" and the dealership techs, how do we know its the same noise as a entirely different vehicle with a different transmission? We can't say its normal or not since we haven't heard it. His dealership is pursuing fixing it and got approval from GM to swap the diff, so there is some evidence that the dealership and GM believe its not normal at this point. IMO, if its loud and other SS's with the same drivetrain don't make the noise, then its likely not normal and can be corrected. Even if the transmission isn't "bad" he may have a sympathetic vibration emanating from the transmission that causes this noise. The trans could operate fine, but due to varying tolerances and stack, wind up with different vibrational frequencies than another identical trans. Just a for example, not a diagnosis.
Did I miss this? I reread the thread and did not see this.

Unless it is REAL bad; I would change the fluid and leave it alone since you got 60K to get it fixed under warranty.

It is a bit of surgery to change it out ... revisit above sentence.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.