Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research when I was trying to figure out which oil to put in my rear differential. This is a copy-and-pasted collection of that research with links. Maybe it will help someone else. Be sure to verify for yourself before you decide to use something other than the recommended stuff. After all that, I went with the GM fluid even though everything else I own has Amsoil in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,596 Posts
I did some research when I was trying to figure out which oil to put in my rear differential. This is a copy-and-pasted collection of that research with links. Maybe it will help someone else. Be sure to verify for yourself before you decide to use something other than the recommended stuff. After all that, I went with the GM fluid even though everything else I own has Amsoil in it.
The right choice, you made, there.

I, too, am an Amsoil user, but, when it came time to change it, I used the GM fluid, and my diff was chattering on low speed sharp turns, too. Changing the fluid restored smooth action.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
Amsoil told me to use the factory fluid, that is pretty telling. (y)

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,610 Posts
I have a few quarts of the Red Line intended for my Eaton TrueTrac, but when I ended up changing the fluid in my stock Diff, I had the shop use the factory stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Planning to do my diff and auto ttans fluids in the next year, this helps me confirm why I planned to stick with GM recommend fluid for both.

·
Registered
587 Posts
is it 1.5qt's/Ls for the VF2 ?? same volume for A or M rearend? Would assume underfilling is only volume issue. no possibility to overfill. I think the 2.92 G8 Rear end was 1.25L and this part number has alot of G8 related feedback so it seems to be used on GM LSD rearends specifically. Get 2 bottles, 33.8 OZ /bottle (1 L) use 4ozs from the 2nd bottle?? (BTW, 1 Qt = ~32 oz) I could not find even one complaint that it destroyed their stock G8/SS/GM rearend...you always find that one review on any product, this RAL seems to be rave rave rave if you have a GM LSD.

Wonderin.... is the 10-4003 (aka ACD 8B900330) Limited Slip Axle Lube (for Corvettes 53-19) the same material infused into the 92184900 ?? its only 4 OZ so its gotta be an additive to a primary bulk lubricant. This LSAL seems to be the #1 eliminator of chatter issues for the Vetteheds. Some comments were, "it lacked the old fishy smell" of most friction modifiers. The stink-ier, the better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts