Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove about 15 miles with 2 16oz water bottles in the rear cup holder.

Bad idea I guess, as this resulted in the bottom of the cup holder falling off. The bottom part still seems to be intact. Can anyone tell me how to remove the unit from the rear seat bottom to attempt a repair? I can't see it well enough where it is to really tell if it came apart or broke. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
How'd you get a rear cupholder???

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
Thanks 15SuperSport. I tried gently, didn't want to go harder as I thought I might need to insert something somewhere. I'll give it a better pull.
We're still talking about your cupholder, right? ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha. Tried it, but no luck, could feel the two lower clips release, but even with small pry bars it won't let go of the seat. Afraid I'll damage the seat if I push on it harder. The pulllout stilll works, guess the new bottom will be the carpet.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
Not sure if it is accessible from underneath, but I believe the seat bottom to be an easy out. Otherwise, your cupholder probably became much sturdier and able to hold larger, heavier, non-staining sugar free drinks... :)

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,596 Posts
You know those big bottles fit in the front doors, it leans outward.

I would take a picture, but,...

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
You might try reaching out to member @CB750 . I think he may have swapped seat bottoms when he traded in for a VFII, he can probably tell you if you can get at it from underneath. That may have just been a wheel swap however, my memory ain't so good... :unsure:

Reactions: ESindon

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
This is a common GM cartridge for the rear seat used across other vehicles [i own 2 others with the same ones].

You can get to it under the seat if you pull the bottom out, sometimes it is easier to see the retainers

I have one loose somewhere i'll see if i can find it.

These break a lot. My friends kid has broken 3 now.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This is a common GM cartridge for the rear seat used across other vehicles [i own 2 others with the same ones].

You can get to it under the seat if you pull the bottom out, sometimes it is easier to see the retainers

I have one loose somewhere i'll see if i can find it.

These break a lot. My friends kid has broken 3 now.
Now I want a 2014 rear seat just for the weird ancient cupholder in it.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
If I still had my '14, I'd probably modify the slot with my daughter grown and on her own. I'm thinking that it would be a sweet spot to put a quick release gun drawer. (y)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Y’all shoulda just asked me lol.

Anyway, grab the bottom cushion about midway on the driver then passenger side giving it a good yank

Once you flip the cushion over, extend the cup holder, then locate these two retaining tabs

Push them in, and pull out the assembly.

Once you have it on the bench, take a small screwdriver or prying tool and gently release the 9 retaining tabs around the sides and rear.

That should give you enough access to the sides where the lower part attaches

Hope that helps. I did this on the fly as I made this post, which was about 10 minutes, with pauses for pics and typing

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

And that’s it all put back together.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Mr Monte for the video and Fedge378 for all the pics and write up. Look easy enough. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MIEngineer Thanks for the info. Nice to know it won't be a hard to find discontinued part.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts