Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been dealing with a rattle on the front passengers side that's clearly sounding like it's coming under the car or near my header. This happens almost always when moving, usually on non-smooth (see: imperfect) road and speed over 10mph.

At first I thought it was the result of hitting my stock cross bar on an object in the road, it was bent and I thought it might have flexed the heat shield. So I pulled it down partially and lined the underside of the shield with some rubber weather stripping with an adhesive foam tape on one side to stick to the shield and see if that would resolve it. It didn't.

Next, pulled the shield out entirely along with the cross bar. Rattle remains. Took it back to where I got the headers installed as it sounds like it's coming from that area to have them checked because i'm thinking it's a defect with them; he pulled off my solo's and checked the headers, said that they're clear. He's pointing me to either the end links or the strut mounts as the culprit. Anyone else had this issue?

I'm dropped on Eibach's, aside from that the suspension is stock.

·
Super Moderator
13,287 Posts
End links have been an issue on the SS. Search should turn up some posts & threads on the subject.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
End links have been an issue on the SS. Search should turn up some posts & threads on the subject.
Yep, i've been digging around here and on Facebook and I ordered both end links and strut mounts today. Bizzare that it would cause such a rattle.

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts
I've been dealing with a rattle on the front passengers side that's clearly sounding like it's coming under the car or near my header. This happens almost always when moving, usually on non-smooth (see: imperfect) road and speed over 10mph.

At first I thought it was the result of hitting my stock cross bar on an object in the road, it was bent and I thought it might have flexed the heat shield. So I pulled it down partially and lined the underside of the shield with some rubber weather stripping with an adhesive foam tape on one side to stick to the shield and see if that would resolve it. It didn't.

Next, pulled the shield out entirely along with the cross bar. Rattle remains. Took it back to where I got the headers installed as it sounds like it's coming from that area to have them checked because i'm thinking it's a defeat with them; he pulled off my solo's and checked the headers, said that they're clear. He's pointing me to either the end links or the strut mounts as the culprit. Anyone else had this issue?

I'm dropped on Eibach's, aside from that the suspension is stock.
What is this cross bar you speak of???

Tunnel brace???

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/documents-manuals/150017-underbody-brace-bulletin.html

If it is you DO NOT remove it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is this cross bar you speak of???

Tunnel brace???

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/documents-manuals/150017-underbody-brace-bulletin.html

If it is you DO NOT remove it.
GM calls it the cross bar, but yes I think we're talking about the same thing. Given the fact that it was bent pretty badly I went ahead and removed it and ordered a new one from GM...that'll get here sometime in 2020 :rolleyes: at this rate. I also looked at Granatelli from another post here but that hung lower then the stock one I had, so it was a no-go.

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you didn't bend up the floor/tunnel.
I highly doubt hitting a heavy duty ratchet tie-down at 55 mph would cause that level of damage (If so then that's a bigger issue). The bar itself was still intact, just bent and came down with no damage other then where it was impacted. Plus with the heat shield off/down there's no other visible damage, I'm thinking that it's the end links like Pinetree said or the mounts. I've ordered both and they're en route. Regardless of what it is I'll update this post after I replace them with what I find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front brake pads on my SS rattle over chop in the road surface, but that is fairly easy to pinpoint.
The pads themselves are rattling? Really? Which brand? Had you bedding them (stupid question but I have to ask)? I've seen posts with the brake squeal, but a rattle?

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts
The front brake pads on my SS rattle over chop in the road surface, but that is fairly easy to pinpoint.
Same on both my '14 and '17.

Just touch the brake pedal the smallest bit to move the pads to the rotors without slowing the car and it stops. Started after about 2000 miles give or take.

Same as you ???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hope you get it figured out. Also check the pipes coming off the headers. The right side pipe runs close to the trans cross member bolt head and can contact it when going over bumps. I had to realign my exhaust.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Same on both my '14 and '17.

Just touch the brake pedal the smallest bit to move the pads to the rotors without slowing the car and it stops. Started after about 2000 miles give or take.

Same as you ???
Yes sir...I posted a while back about it and you suggested the brake application test and mine goes away immediately. Mine started around 15k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope you get it figured out. Also check the pipes coming off the headers. The right side pipe runs close to the trans cross member bolt head and can contact it when going over bumps. I had to realign my exhaust.
What did the noise sound like and was it constant?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Clunking rattle. Mainly over bumps in the road. If you have your car up check the by the four bolts that hold the trans cross member. Mainly passenger sided. The sound comes through the floor boards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clunking rattle. Mainly over bumps in the road. If you have your car up check the by the four bolts that hold the trans cross member. Mainly passenger sided. The sound comes through the floor boards.
Mine is less of a clunk and more just the rattle and all the time when the car is moving. I'll definitely check by those bolts when I get her up in the air on Saturday. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Parts just came in today and I'll be installing on Saturday, I finally got some video of it. Did anyone elses sound like this?

It might be the pipe hitting the bolt head for the trans cross member/ passenger side. It sure sounds like exhaust. Kind of what mine sounded like. If it is, loosen the header flange bolts on both sides and pry over the exhaust using the cross member bolt head to pry it over and tighten the flanges. You may have that whack the flanges with a dead blow hammer to pop them loose! The stick together pretty good. Hope you find it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
It might be the pipe hitting the bolt head for the trans cross member/ passenger side. It sure sounds like exhaust. Kind of what mine sounded like. If it is, loosen the header flange bolts on both sides and pry over the exhaust using the cross member bolt head to pry it over and tighten the flanges. You may have that whack the flanges with a dead blow hammer to pop them loose! The stick together pretty good. Hope you find it!
My exhaust had at least 1/4" clearance but it would still contact it when the mounts flexed during acceleration and deceleration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts