Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is in recent post so not to high jack I'll drop this here.
While cleaning the catch can I noticed the lower radiator hose was collapsed to about half of it's diameter. Not sure how long this has been going on. Hoses feel a little soft. Working on ordering hoses, No one vendor has all 4 pieces. In the meantime I replaced the cap and hoses aren't collapsing. Mentioned by another member is the O ring is flattened. Here is a pick and something to check for when inspecting radiator fluid. Original on left.

Automotive tire Tire Watch Household hardware Gas

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Yep just changed my cap noticed top hose sucked in and bottom not as bad, hoses stay round now.

· Registered
182 Posts

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This explains the difference in small openings as well. Mine must have been stuck as well.

I recently replaced my cap, because my hoses were collapsed when cooled off. After looking at the old cap, the pressure release part was stuck. Used a screw driver, popped it loose. And started working fine. Since I had already replaced it, now I just have a spare cap.

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be, or a combination of both. After spinning the new one on I could feel a difference in how it was sealing just before the click. Good idea to check on routinely to prevent tearing into cooling system. We may have more unobtainium at lower hose connection.
All 3 of mine are flat... [email protected] <29k, [email protected] 36k & [email protected] 45k. The top hose on the [email protected] started collapsing about a week ago. The other 2 have no collapsed hoses, top or bottom. Might it be more of what @Benb446 found with his?

· Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,495 Posts
As mentioned, this(faulty radiator cap)has been mentioned several times and is not unique to the SS. I had this same issue on my '88 RX7. Also, nine times out of ten you don't need new hoses. Hoses are flexible and will return to their original shape.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
As mentioned, this(faulty radiator cap)has been mentioned several times and is not unique to the SS. I had this same issue on my '88 RX7. Also, nine times out of ten you don't need new hoses. Hoses are flexible and will return to their original shape.
That's probably the case, hoses should be flexible and can return to original mounded shape. But how old are these hoses now? Mine didn't collapse, but I won't reuse an 8yo hose. I was shocked how badly distorted the clamped ends were in my 14 with 30k miles.

But thanks to this thread, I saw my cap was in need of replacement... flat gasket. Thanks, guys!

· Registered
412 Posts
This post inspired me to check the radiator hoses,
and both the upper and lower were collapsed about half way.

So it appears the radiator cap should be replaced at regular intervals,
now I just need to figure out when that interval is.

· Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,495 Posts
I did mine when I changed the coolant, at 5 years. Forget the miles. It should be checked every couple of years or so.

Reactions: distracted driver

· Premium Member
Inception: 1 March 2017 White, A6, Spare, No Sun
2,021 Posts
Is this the correct part listed below? I know I'm losing it at my age, but I thought for sure that somebody would've mentioned the valid part number for the radiator cap out of the gazillion radiator threads on the forum. Heck, I typed in radiator cap with my VIN on one of the GM parts websites, and it returned with ten possible matches but nothing definitive. 😵‍💫

Radiator Cap
Product ID: 15042975

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Reactions: SS WOT and SaberOne

· Premium Member
2,021 Posts
13502509 for my17

edit: fits all years ss's and even my new ZL1 it seems must be a real common cap.

So it’s a 20-psi and not 15-psi. Thank you for the P/N —👍

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just bought one at Napa. Part #: BK 7031546. Running out of patients with GM parts lately. Needed the cap now, while I wait for 2 of the 4 hoses.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
oem upper hose and cap had in 3 days amazon, both in stock, but i'm 10 miles away from a parts store.

· Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I just bought one at Napa. Part #: BK 7031546. Running out of patients with GM parts lately. Needed the cap now, while I wait for 2 of the 4 hoses.
Okay, it's a slow Sunday, but the P/N 13502509 20-psi (Replaces: 92205634) is from post #14 and my own 2017 Cap, whereas your NAPA part number BK-7031546 is a 15-psi Cap.

So now, while I don't necessarily like being a nitpicker,' it appears 'what we got here is failure to communicate.' 🤓 Maybe there was a change at some point?

Anywho, now I'm looking for those same hoses for the same problem. It's always more helpful when we list part numbers💭 If I'm missing something, please let me know.
No code has to be inserted here.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I verified that, this made by same outfit another member put up for Gates offering. Mfg'd in Mexico like the motor. It has restored the hoses back to normal.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Rim

Okay, it's a slow Sunday, but the P/N 13502509 20-psi (Replaces: 92205634) is from post #14 and my own 2017 Cap, whereas your NAPA part number BK-7031546 is a 15-psi Cap.

So now, while I don't necessarily like being a nitpicker,' it appears 'what we got here is failure to communicate.' 🤓 Maybe there was a change at some point?

Anywho, now I'm looking for those same hoses for the same problem. It's always more helpful when we list part numbers💭 If I'm missing something, please let me know.
No code has to be inserted here.
View attachment 294828

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Your cap needs to be replaced if that's photos of your car, OEM part numbers is what i provided, don't know about old/new numbers but via GM that is the OEM part number radiator cap, your hoses will be/look fine after cap replacement and one heat cycle. I rushed to order without digging into info, hoses will not need replacing was the consensus and i agree as they went back to original form. I had already order the upper one for few $$ i will keep on the ss parts shelf.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts