Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Thanks for the information and photos you’ve provided in this thread, they came out really good. I had a question for you, or any of the other members who are using the QuickJack.

Is it possible, with careful placement, to use the QuickJack to jack the car up at the pinch-weld jacking points, and still have enough floor space to place stands at the factory frame lift points? The front lift point is well inboard of the pinch-weld and the rear lift point is behind the rear jack point. This seems to me like it could work but interested in what QuickJack users think.
I don’t believe so. To do that you wouldn’t be able to center the lift in the jack points.

Reactions: gbro18 and ESindon

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, I got intrigued enough to make time and test the Sideways method, with lifting at the service lift points. It works perfectly.
To recall, in this method the frames are placed cross-car, one picking up at the front lift points and the other at the rear ones.
This is a great post--I could never tell if there would be enough clearance from the wheels with the Quickjack set up laterally, so this is super helpful.

It was a little hard to tell from the pics, but how accessible was the oil drain plug and filter? It looked like the jack was pretty close and might not leave room for the trajectory of the oil when the plug is first removed. Thoughts?

-TH24

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
This is a great post--I could never tell if there would be enough clearance from the wheels with the Quickjack set up laterally, so this is super helpful.

It was a little hard to tell from the pics, but how accessible was the oil drain plug and filter? It looked like the jack was pretty close and might not leave room for the trajectory of the oil when the plug is first removed. Thoughts?

-TH24
Thank you for the kind words. To be honest my main interest in the QuickJack is not for engine oil changes so I was not focusing on that aspect during my evaluation. However, if you look closely at pic #6 out of 7 you can see that the front QuickJack frame passes beneath the transmission with the front edge of the frame roughly beneath the clutch housing. This makes me think that the engine oil drain plug and filter should not be obstructed. I cannot guarantee these statements and will have to take a closer look next time when I have the car on the jack. There is also a less than perfect but workable way to lift the car with the frames longitudinal which I had described a few posts up from the one you quoted. In that method there is 100% unobstructed access underneath the engine and transmission.

To be honest, we have 4 cars and each one has its own idiosyncrasies as to how to lift it and what is accessible -- all in all this is a cool device that works very well and allows a lot of access underneath without taking any permanent garage floor space.

Reactions: tarheel24

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the information and photos you’ve provided in this thread, they came out really good. I had a question for you, or any of the other members who are using the QuickJack.

Is it possible, with careful placement, to use the QuickJack to jack the car up at the pinch-weld jacking points, and still have enough floor space to place stands at the factory frame lift points? The front lift point is well inboard of the pinch-weld and the rear lift point is behind the rear jack point. This seems to me like it could work but interested in what QuickJack users think.
Thought I'd chime in as the OP, I finally ordered and received my QJ when they went on sale at Costco again. I used them once to install my MGW and it worked OK. I got the 5000SLX model and can say wholeheartedly they are not long enough to reach the pinch weld jack points. I set the front block to sit under about half the ZL1 clone adapters I have and the rear block misses the pinch weld by a good 3 or 4 inches. I'd think with 6 more inches I could solidly reach the pinch welds fine. My plans are to order the extension kit to use on the SS and 'a natural for my other cars.

Before I order the ext kit though I'm waiting to see if Bendpack / Quickjack folks can solve my jack issue. Like I said I used it fine once and it worked as expected for the shifter install. I lowered the jacks and had a ahhh crap moment just as they hit the floor and realized I forgot to drain the oil while I was under there, so I raised the car back up or so I thought. Now the jack was grossly favoring one side and it raised the car uneven side to side. Swapping hoses on the pump just reversed the problem so it told me the pump was acting up. I lowered the car and after calling support I bled it several times and cleaned out the proportioning valve but that did no good. Fast forward another week and I'm still going back and forth with them trying to fix this but no resolution yet. I think they are wanting to send me a new proportioning valve but I don't think it's been decided yet. Hopefully it'll get resolved sooner than later so I can use it rather than have it sit as wall art for some time. I might pull it out and double check all my fittings and check the proportioning valve again.

Reactions: gbro18

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Thought I'd chime in as the OP, I finally ordered and received my QJ when they went on sale at Costco again. I used them once to install my MGW and it worked OK. I got the 5000SLX model and can say wholeheartedly they are not long enough to reach the pinch weld jack points. I set the front block to sit under about half the ZL1 clone adapters I have and the rear block misses the pinch weld by a good 3 or 4 inches. I'd think with 6 more inches I could solidly reach the pinch welds fine. My plans are to order the extension kit to use on the SS and 'a natural for my other cars.

Before I order the ext kit though I'm waiting to see if Bendpack / Quickjack folks can solve my jack issue. Like I said I used it fine once and it worked as expected for the shifter install. I lowered the jacks and had a ahhh crap moment just as they hit the floor and realized I forgot to drain the oil while I was under there, so I raised the car back up or so I thought. Now the jack was grossly favoring one side and it raised the car uneven side to side. Swapping hoses on the pump just reversed the problem so it told me the pump was acting up. I lowered the car and after calling support I bled it several times and cleaned out the proportioning valve but that did no good. Fast forward another week and I'm still going back and forth with them trying to fix this but no resolution yet. I think they are wanting to send me a new proportioning valve but I don't think it's been decided yet. Hopefully it'll get resolved sooner than later so I can use it rather than have it sit as wall art for some time. I might pull it out and double check all my fittings and check the proportioning valve again.
Air pressure in the struts ok? I had a problem getting one to lower once and it turned out I accidentally pinched one of the lines with the lift.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

Interesting. The perception I had from reading about it was that the standard 5000SLX would be able to reach the pinch-weld jack points. It’s good to know that it doesn’t.

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems with the unit. Hopefully they’ll get you going soon. Keep us informed so we all can know how well their customer service is.

·
Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
QuickJack BL-6000XLT

Anyone try this model yet? I like the idea of a large lift with extra capacity, and the lift point spread is between 47.4" and 75.8". I've not measured between lift points on the SS yet, but @Yoram's estimation sounds like about +/- 68". Of course, any of you fortunate enough to have their SS handy could confirm this measurement if he or she was so inclined :) The total frame length is 86", with the SS wheelbase at 114". Even if I lose 12" at each end due to the tire circumference the frame should fit under the SS. The XLT is bigger, heavier, and rated to hold more weight than the 5000 series of both the SLX and EXT models. It also has a frame width of 12.5", compared to the 11" frame width of both 5000 offerings which may offer a more parallel setup for maximum stability and minimum stress on the lift and the SS.
I will post the measuring guide/specs link below. Looking for honest feedback on all potential positives and negatives of this setup. Thanks all. I've got me big boy britches on, give me your honest opinions!

https://www.quickjack.com/quickjack-measuring-guide.html

Reactions: good2go

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I've been glancing at these for a while, but I have a few vehicles so deciding which would work well with my truck and the Holden's, and any ideal future purchase...

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading this discussion and viewing all the helpful photos, I pulled the trigger and ordered the QuickJack BL-5000SLX from Costco, since it was on sale for $200 off. I am confident now that it will work well with my 2017 SS, and most likely for our 3 other vehicles. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Bumping...anyone bought/used a QuickJack since this thread last posted? 5000XLT working without hassle? Anyone using the 7000 or 6000?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Bumping...anyone bought/used a QuickJack since this thread last posted? 5000XLT working without hassle? Anyone using the 7000 or 6000?
Nope, but I'm in the same boat. I'm seriously considering either the 7000EXT or the (strangely, even longer) 6000XLT, as it seems they are the ones most likely to work with the long spread and the offset . . . but it may be a while yet, as the missus has yet to get on board with the go fast(er) parts I'm pushing also. Come the next oil change, I'll be making some measurements and see just how close each one comes to meeting the SS's requirements. First and foremost, I do want it to be able to properly fit the SS, but I don't want to get something that is so long that it won't work for the rest of my vehicles (that would be stupid). I wonder if 15SuperSport ever got a 6000XLT. It would be good to hear how it worked out for him if he did.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Yes. Please see link.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
P.S., my exact model is BL-5000 SLX (the shorter one to use with a couple smaller cars).

·
Banned
1,320 Posts

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Yeah you're right. Too big for the QuickJack 5000.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts