Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

This post is more for the picture of carnage to share. I might field some suggestions for new axles. I've known the consequences of shocking the driveline, this gets to show you what can happen.
So, a quick way to disassemble the drivers side axle. Go to a drag strip of your choice. Pay for an evening of fun and entertainment. Burnout...check. Stage...check. Sidestep the clutch at 4500. Now things happen fast. The car will lurch forward for less than a 1/2 a sec before there will be a distinct "Bang" in the rear. There will be no more forward movement. Disassembly complete. Enjoy the evening at track with your daughter and other drag racing friends while you wait on your buddy who has a towing service.

I thought I popped the diff. To my relief, only an axle. I took the inner boot off to see why it was so limp wristed. Hmm. I must have got it good. Very easy to remove with it is in 3 sections.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That's some nice work! Snapped the axle, appears to be a classic failure in torsion with how clean the break is.

Years ago my brother in law had a mildly built but quite quick Neon SRT4 (if anyone remembers those). A hair under 500 at the wheels, bottom 11s with a 127 trap. Anyway he put in very nice, very strong, very expensive Driveshaft Shop front axles supposedly good for well over his power. First pass on a 26" slick and had the same launch you did. Except the shafts were fine, we pulled the axles and a pile of shavings came out - sheared off all the splines on the axles, smooth as a baby's bottom. I was amazed (and B-i-L likely grateful) the extra special axles weren't hardened more at the splines then the stock trans output shaft. They replaced them for free, he tried again a few weeks later and broke another at the CV joint. We swapped the stockers back in in the pits, and he never had a problem again, go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
SRT4 really needs the monster axles and a trans build to avoid serious headache. 2 of my good friends have dumped more into SRT4 Neons than what a a used C6 GS Vette goes for now.

I know they haven't had shearing issues on their axles, but they are recent builds.

Also, SRT4 owners hate it when you call their cars a Neon...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Also, SRT4 owners hate it when you call their cars a Neon...
Lol I remember years ago on LS1Tech.com the admins had a board hack enabled where anytime someone typed SRT4 it subbed in "Neon Neon Neon"

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Lol I remember years ago on LS1Tech.com the admins had a board hack enabled where anytime someone typed SRT4 it subbed in "Neon Neon Neon"
That is the greatest thing I have ever heard of on a forum

Reactions: JayJ
1 - 7 of 7 Posts