Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I went to the track, I was running my 14 sec. 72 C10 in high school. 1997ish. I’m thinking of seeing what my SS can do. I’m thinking I might break into the 11s with some luck. (711whp and drag radials). It looks like I’m going to need a helmet and a jacket for sure. Will I really need a 6pt roll bar for sub 11.49? And whats all the other sfi seatbelt, clutch/flywheel shield. I’m running a Monster Clutch. Will I even need to worry about getting in the 10s? That‘s a whole new set of rules. What’s that all about? Basically what do I need to do to my car before I go to the track if I plan on 11s or even 10s? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
When you go thru tech, fill out the paperwork, and put down 13.0 for your estimated times, and all you will need is a helmet. Then if you go much faster, they may, or may not care, and make you comply with the safety requirements.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
All you really need is the helmet for now. If you run 11.5 or faster they may pull you aside, if you manage 10s they wont let you back without the required equipment. Sacramento was really lax on rules the last time I went. They didnt look or ask, except for the helmet.

The strip at Sonoma is much nicer IMO.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Enforcement varies between tracks. At Houston Raceway Park, aka Royal Purple Raceway, while the rules look similar, people are running their C63 AMGs and BMW M5s in the 10s with nothing more than a helmet.
Helmet isn't mandatory for >11.99, but if you have a moonroof then a helmet is required at any speed.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I believe it’s 2008+ can run [email protected] without a cage. Must have a driveshaft loop a single layer jacket and at least a snell 2010 or 2015 helmet. Some places may also want you to have sfi certified parts on the car like the balancer and flywheel and what not.
Edit: typo

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
One evening at the track I was told they sent a Lambo home for running high 130s in the 1/4 mile, I don't know his time but it had to be in the 10s at most.
Later that evening, I saw a 1990s Toyoto Corolla beater run about 13.4 in the 1/4 mile...at 138mph!!! The owner told me later he can't get a good timeslip because has to launch very, very carefully. He just had a helmet, no cage.
For about the next six runs the track announcer kept commenting that he couldn't believe he just saw a Corolla go 138 in the 1/4, the announcer never talks about the previous matchup, he couldn't stop talking about that beater.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And it also depends on if it's a NHRA or IHRA track also about how the rules are the NHRA are real sticklers on almost everything. Norwalk Ohio will kick you off if you go 10.5's no questions asked but at 42 they might warn you twice before taking action (seen that with a 2012 911 turbo that was hovering at 10.6 but when he did a 10.55 that was when the track said watch it or else, if it was Norwalk since they are NHRA not IHRA (like 42) it would be your done and get lost. So find out which sactioning body is the track.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Last season the two tracks I went to, had zero tech. Didn't ask about jacket, helmet date, nothing. I assume due to Covid. Only asked if I had signed the "sheet" for insurance.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Up here in NH. 2008 and newer can run up to 135mph at 10 seconds. You need a fire jacket if you have a turbo or blower. Only a helmet for NA. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
“The NHRA updated its safety requirements to allow 2008 and newer vehicles to run as quick as 10.00 and/or as fast as 135 mph without an NHRA-legal roll bar if the vehicle has unmodified factory safety equipment and DOT-legal tires. The NHRA notes that the driver must still wear the appropriate clothing and helmet for the performance of the vehicle.”

Source

13.99 seconds (8.59 1/8th)
Drive Line Loop with slicks
Approved helmet (Full face in open cars), see below
SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equipped with non-OEM nitrous oxide, turbochargers or superchargers”

Source

So if you are running in the 10s or 11s with any power added you need a single layer jacket and a loop if you are running a drag radial and an approved helmet(snell2010 or snell2015). DOT motorcycle or dirt bike helmets are not an approved NHRA helmet. Also a driveshaft loop is required. Thank goodness we have a 100 dollar bolt in one from BMR. Cheap insurance you do t pogo!

If you’re going to go fast at least be smart about it. I cut corners on a lot of **** but not this kid of safety. I actually use a HANS device with my helmet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it’s looking like a helmet, a jacket, and a driveshaft loop. Damn, another $400 to spend. And I told myself I was going to chill out for a while on the spending.....

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
So it’s looking like a helmet, a jacket, and a driveshaft loop. Damn, another $400 to spend. And I told myself I was going to chill out for a while on the spending.....
Well again, as others have said, YMMV from one track to another. The AMG guys here locally had all done some work on their cars, the C63 is not NA, and they were wearing t-shirts. I have a moonroof, sometimes they ask if I have a helmet, other times the don't.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Well again, as others have said, YMMV from one track to another. The AMG guys here locally had all done some work on their cars, the C63 is not NA, and they were wearing t-shirts. I have a moonroof, sometimes they ask if I have a helmet, other times the don't.
The wording is non OEM supercharged. They don’t need a jacket if it came factory with one. I mean you can be one of those guys to say it did if you had an lsa that sorta looks stock but no whipple or maggy or pro charger will pass that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The wording is non OEM supercharged. They don’t need a jacket if it came factory with one. I mean you can be one of those guys to say it did if you had an lsa that sorta looks stock but no whipple or maggy or pro charger will pass that.
Not true at my track, got blower, need jacket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts