Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
"leasing can be one for those who do not want to commit '

That sums it up, for me. I like the cars that I chose and want to keep them.

I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The route to car ownership is filled with many options and leasing can be one for those who do not want to commit to a long-term purchase.

Read more >>

I believe (have not run precise analysis) that financially leasing is roughly similar to, maybe a bit more expensive than buying new at retail and trading in at wholesale prices (and financing).
Since I buy all my cars lightly used (from private party or dealer) and always sell them private party (never trade them in or sell them at wholesale) therefore leasing makes no financial sense to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the only people I know that lease are getting cars out of their price range. If they were to have bought them, the payments would have been too much, and the maintenance would be crippling to them.

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
I lease for my wife. She gets a new car every 3 years. Something different or something the same if she likes it. Did a lot of damage to the front of her 2016 Malibu hitting a giant raccoon at 70mph. Carfax took a crap, no longer GM certified, resale took a big hit. Affected me not. Turned in the keys at three years, full disclosure, no costs or questions, and got something else. The hit you take when leasing is when you quit leasing. No car for the payments made or a huge payout to own it. Until then, it's smaller payments, new cars every three years, and no tanked resale value (for you) when an accident happens. I'll take the hit when she retires and buy or buyout something, until then she'll get two or three more brand new cars and I'll get lower payments. I can certainly afford to buy whatever I lease for her, but I'll have bigger payments, bigger risks and older or used cars, or all of the above. Leasing isn't for everyone, but if it wasn't for someone it wouldn't exist.
You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. Happy husband? Well, nothing rhymes with husband. SS probably should though... :thumbsUp:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I lease for my wife. She gets a new car every 3 years. Something different or something the same if she likes it. Did a lot of damage to the front of her 2016 Malibu hitting a giant raccoon at 70mph. Carfax took a crap, no longer GM certified, resale took a big hit. Affected me not. Turned in the keys at three years, full disclosure, no costs or questions, and got something else. The hit you take when leasing is when you quit leasing. No car for the payments made or a huge payout to own it. Until then, it's smaller payments, new cars every three years, and no tanked resale value (for you) when an accident happens. I'll take the hit when she retires and buy or buyout something, until then she'll get two or three more brand new cars and I'll get lower payments. I can certainly afford to buy whatever I lease for her, but I'll have bigger payments, bigger risks and older or used cars, or all of the above. Leasing isn't for everyone, but if it wasn't for someone it wouldn't exist.
You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. Happy husband? Well, nothing rhymes with husband. SS probably should though... :thumbsUp:
“Smaller payments”, yes. But they NEVER STOP. If you Buy a car and keep it 5 years? Would that be cheaper?

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
Not if the wife becomes unhappy
Roger that! Happiness can not be measured in dollars and cents alone.
When armed and dangerous, unhappy is a bad thing. Besides, when you're driving an "old" 2015 and she has a 2019, you look like the good guy. :thumbsUp:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Leasing may not be for everyone, but for those who don't put on many miles each year, it can be very advantagous. My case in point - I did a 2 yr 10,000 miles per year lease on a 2015 Silverado LT with no money down. My payment was $215 per month. (You ain't going to buy that truck for that little monthly money unless you can find someone who'll lend you money interest free for like 16 years.)
After that I went into the same type of lease on a 2017 Silverado LT and got it for $10 less a month than the 2015! Again, very cheap driving.
I've just turned in that 2017 and am now driving a 2019 Silverado RST on a 3 yr low mileage lease. The sad part is the payments have now taken a healthy jump - this one I'm paying $309 a month. Still haven't had to put any money down. But here's the real comfort - even with a 3 yr, I'll likely never have to pay for a repair so this truck with be worry free. How many people can say that who have made payments for 5 years and not ever had a surprise bill show up along the way? If you don't drive many miles, leasing is an easy headache free ride.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, it's hard to argue against the seemingly upside-down world of pickup truck low mileage leasing. Real world residuals are so high that occasionally they can be bought at the end of an incredibly low lease rate and easily sold (privately) at a profit.

Demand for pickups likely will not subside unless there's an event similar to the late '00s. If/when sane pricing is restored, just turn it in and let the leasing company eat the loss. Then everybody can go and buy a suitable vehicle using all that money they stashed away because of the great deals they were getting;-)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I leased a car for small business use, turned out alright though the tax rules helped a bit there.

Never leased a personal vehicle, but I am considering leasing my next truck as our plans may involve full time RV’ing for a year or so once both kids are out of high school and I don’t want to be towing a truck behind the RV. So a 3 year lease might make sense in that situation but haven’t looked at any hard numbers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah I'm debating leasing a Colorado/Canyon before winter. Low mileage (10k/yr) 3 year lease at an employee discount for a basic LT model is pretty attractive for the money vs continuing to drive the SS through salt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts