Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious what is the best way to replace the coolant on the SS? Are folks draining the radiator and refilling with distilled water repeatedly, then doing the last fill with straight coolant to get to the right mixture or is there a way to drain all the coolant and refill it with 50/50?

thanks In advance

·
Registered
943 Posts
I can't give you advice on what to drain it with since i haven't done it before, but I can tell you that there IS a drain plug on our radiators. I learned this after not seeing one and pulling the lower radiator hose and getting it all over my garage unfortunately. There is a petcock on the passenger side of the bottom of the radiator that is an allen key plug so it is flush with the bottom and hard to see. It's not your typical plug with wings sticking off of it that you can grab and twist on the driver's side.

Reactions: SS EricR702

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,797 Posts
I’m curious what is the best way to replace the coolant on the SS? Are folks draining the radiator and refilling with distilled water repeatedly, then doing the last fill with straight coolant to get to the right mixture or is there a way to drain all the coolant and refill it with 50/50?

thanks In advance
I used one gallon and the rest distilled water, which is ideal for SoCal, about a 60/40 mix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't give you advice on what to drain it with since i haven't done it before, but I can tell you that there IS a drain plug on our radiators. I learned this after not seeing one and pulling the lower radiator hose and getting it all over my garage unfortunately. There is a petcock on the passenger side of the bottom of the radiator that is an allen key plug so it is flush with the bottom and hard to see. It's not your typical plug with wings sticking off of it that you can grab and twist on the driver's side.
that’s super helpful, thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I had it done at work, a Chevy dealer. We used a coolant exchange machine.
We use the machine because the radiator drain, really, only drains the radiator. I don't know if a drain is on the block or not.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had it done at work, a Chevy dealer. We used a coolant exchange machine.
We use the machine because the radiator drain, really, only drains the radiator. I don't know if a drain is on the block or not.
Without a machine designed to remove coolant, you will never get it all.

Block, heads, heater core, and remnants left in various hoses. Could blow out heater core with air, but then risk damaging the core, and will make a big mess. I drained mine as much as I could when I installed the 160 thermostat, and filled with new premixed Dexcool.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are attachments you can hook up to a coolant system and a garden hose to flush it out. Of course this isn't the preferred method because of deposits in tap water. However, three gallons of distilled water instead of the garden hose variety should provide a good enough flush for at least whatever flush/refill interval is specified.

My method. Start the car and let it warm up to where the T-Stat opens. Turn car off. Drain the old coolant out with car running (start vehicle directly after you remove the drain bolt/plug). Shut car off as soon as coolant slows to a drip. Put drain bolt/plug back in. Fill cooling system with distilled water. Start car when you've poured in almost two gallons or so. While running, top it off. Run vehcile for a few minutes with radiator cap on. Let the system cool for a little while. Drain the system again using the same method as the first time. Then, use the empty gallon jugs of distilled water for your 50/50 mix. Fill, top off, bleed if necessary, and done.

That's what I've done in the past.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you really want to get all the coolant out of the engine take off the water pump and use a shop vac to suck out the water from the block through the water pump ports. Takes about five minutes to do. You're not going to get every single drop out, but does it matter?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I just looked in the FSM and it says that you're supposed to remove the thermostat before using any kind of specialized flushing equipment. I highly doubt dealers are removing thermostats when they hook up their flush machines.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I just looked in the FSM and it says that you're supposed to remove the thermostat before using any kind of specialized flushing equipment. I highly doubt dealers are removing thermostats when they hook up their flush machines.
Dealers really don't use cooling system flush machines anymore or you might find yourself doing a heater core for free.
They are coolant exchange machines and they use little to no pressure, but they do use a chemical. Some have you remove the thermostat and some have you run the engine. Most all of the have 2 separate tanks, one to collect the dirty coolant, the other has the clean coolant going in, much like a trans fluid exchange machine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The best method I have found for any vehicle is a vacuum system that I bought a while back. It uses compressed air, passing over a port to draw vacuum on the entire cooling system. When it does so, it removes all (you draw vacuum to 28in) air. So when you refill it, you should get absolutely no air pockets in the heads, or heater core.

OEMTools 27066

Is the part number. It works fantastic on everything, not just the SS, and as a bonus if you have any leaks, it won’t pull vacuum, and then you won’t leak coolant on the ground. It can be a pain to find the right bushing for the coolant reservoir depending on the vehicle, but well worth it.

Use a clean 5 gal bucket to catch anything coming out, and you could even reuse the coolant, if there’s nothing wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I had to prep my car for drag strip and take all the coolant out. What I did was removed the upper radiator hose as that’s the in for the radiator and put the garden hose in the radiator. Turned the water on and ran the engine until it came out clear then shut the engine off and hooked it all back up then added a bottle water wetter. I did not care for the mess it was going to make as it was going to get washed away with the water.

Don’t want to hear about epa nonsense. Keep it moving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts