Chevy SS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
. . . holio !!

But on a serious note: can't a quality wideband sensor also function as a narrow band (in the 0-1V range) and thus allow for you to use the factory 02 sensor location?
Yeah they are expensive and need pro features for hptuners. They have the analog outputs. The lm-2 in-line is one of them. I did not want to spend 800-1000 for pro features and a wideband.

the 30-0334 ticked all my check boxes and got it on Amazon for 218 plus tax. Once it’s setup it’s easy to import the data into hptuners.

·
Premium Member
2017 SS Auto
41 Posts
Rear o2 turned off. Didn’t need to. The differences before and after cat are negligible.
Haha, I think I'm a little stupider than you realize. So where does the sensor go? I'm assuming from your answer that there is a sensor "port" already available. That is my real question.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Haha, I think I'm a little stupider than you realize. So where does the sensor go? I'm assuming from your answer that there is a sensor "port" already available. That is my real question.
There are four sensors factory. Upstream and downstream bank 1 (left side) and 2(right side). The B1S1 and B2S1 is used to control the fueling for the commanded AFR and located pre cats. The B1S2 and B2S2 control cat efficiency and located post cats. In high flow and performance cats or none present the post cat sensors are usually disabled. When I confirmed mine were I removed B1S2 and replaced it with the wideband. Ran the wire into the car and hooked it up.

no need to have an additional bunghole installed because of this.

And for the child in me....

I am the great cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole!!! Are you thrrrreatening me?

my bunghole goes raaatatatatatatatataaplaaplaplaplap!

·
Premium Member
2017 SS Auto
41 Posts
There are four sensors factory. Upstream and downstream bank 1 (left side) and 2(right side). The B1S1 and B2S1 is used to control the fueling for the commanded AFR and located pre cats. The B1S2 and B2S2 control cat efficiency and located post cats. In high flow and performance cats or none present the post cat sensors are usually disabled. When I confirmed mine were I removed B1S2 and replaced it with the wideband. Ran the wire into the car and hooked it up.

no need to have an additional bunghole installed because of this.

And for the child in me....

I am the great cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole!!! Are you thrrrreatening me?

my bunghole goes raaatatatatatatatataaplaaplaplaplap!
thanks. and good luck with that bunghole. :)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
. . . holio !!

But on a serious note: can't a quality wideband sensor also function as a narrow band (in the 0-1V range) and thus allow for you to use the factory 02 sensor location?
Yes and no. The voltage differences like you mentioned wont work with the factory PCM .. So the idea is to use the wideband ( air/fuel sensor ) to dial it in closer to where a standard oxygen sensor can do the fine tuning / data log with the factory PCM.

Well if I should ever need a good bunghole boring I know there is a tool for it! Thanks!!!
Maybe when bungs were only in wooden barrels. These days we use a hole saw or drill to make a hole before the bung is welded. Just be careful not to drop the cookie.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
And remember, the bung hole is best situated in a location where the sensor end that is inserted into it will be tilted downhill, or at the very least, dead level.

·
Premium Member
2017 SS Auto
41 Posts
Ok, I think I'm catching up now. If I'm reading this picture correctly, it looks like I have two rear O2 sensors - one behind each of my ARH cats.

I've heard one can be unplugged, after which i use my scan tool to reset any codes that throws. Others say it will throw off my tune. Has anyone disabled an O2 sensor successfully?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I've heard one can be unplugged, after which i use my scan tool to reset any codes that throws. Others say it will throw off my tune. Has anyone disabled an O2 sensor successfully
The two rear sensors ( the ones behind your ARH cats ) are used to verify the catalytic converter is working. The o2 sensors before the cats are used by the PCM / tune.

You can clear codes if you have removed one of the rear sensors - and it wont affect your tune, it will just throw a code for catalyst efficiency (P0420 or P0430).

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Ok, I think I'm catching up now. If I'm reading this picture correctly, it looks like I have two rear O2 sensors - one behind each of my ARH cats.

I've heard one can be unplugged, after which i use my scan tool to reset any codes that throws. Others say it will throw off my tune. Has anyone disabled an O2 sensor successfully?

View attachment 288971
No you don’t reset the codes they need to be disabled using hptuners. It stops reporting errors and no DTC. This has to be done with IM readiness green or all checks. No CEL/DTC at all. If you do it without clearing and making it ready you’ll have issues getting it to pass check.

The two rear sensors ( the ones behind your ARH cats ) are used to verify the catalytic converter is working. The o2 sensors before the cats are used by the PCM / tune.

You can clear codes if you have removed one of the rear sensors - and it wont affect your tune, it will just throw a code for catalyst efficiency (P0420 or P0430).
This should not be done unless the o2 sensors is disabled from reporting errors.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Ok, I think I get it now. Time to take a look at HPTuners options. Thanks.
Those are the basic high flow cats. If your do FI you will have to gut them as they will break and clog the exhaust.

did you not have your car tuned yet?

·
Premium Member
2017 SS Auto
41 Posts
did you not have your car tuned yet?
Yes. Lingenfelter just recently installed cam, ported heads, Maggie blower, and ARH LT system, then did the tune.

It's their 3-year warrantied 650HP package, so maybe they gutted them? I'm not sure, but it's pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Yes. Lingenfelter just recently installed cam, ported heads, Maggie blower, and ARH LT system, then did the tune.

It's their 3-year warrantied 650HP package, so maybe they gutted them? I'm not sure, but it's pretty loud.
They definitely did not. If you didn’t do any of the work then leave it alone. No need to see the wideband if your aren’t tuning it. I will most likely remove it once it’s done being tuned.

·
Premium Member
2017 SS Auto
41 Posts
They definitely did not. If you didn’t do any of the work then leave it alone. No need to see the wideband if your aren’t tuning it. I will most likely remove it once it’s done being tuned.
Yeah, I wasn't going to tune. I just wanted to see some factors like my air fuel ratio, boost, etc. for my own curiosity, so I was thinking of adding some sensors and gauges. I'm not wanting to override Lingenfelter, but they said "if you notice things going squirrely in the next 3 years let us know".

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts