Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had your EPS rack replaced under recall?

• Yes, it failed, I had no choice

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Yes, it was sort of a nightmare

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Yes, it was no big deal

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • No, I need to schedule it

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • No, I’ll do it when it fails

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • No, my car is not included in the recall campaign.

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not the original owner of my 2015.. how do I see what recall repairs have been performed?

·
Registered
207 Posts
2014 here - didn't want to do it, original rack was working fine - but had car in our shop for other work, so figured its best to get it out of the way....

What a hassle. Took almost 2 weeks just for rack replacement. New rack feels sloppy. Would've preferred to leave it alone, but with the recall, no way to sell the car without rack replacement.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
So it seems many issue after people have gotten it done. Alignment, sloppy, ac hoses broken. Debating on not having it done until it’s an issue now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pardon my total ignorance re this SS recall. What is it about? I have a '17. Do I read correctly that I'm not included? Thx.
At some point in late 2016 GM incorporated the latest model EPS rack in production. All cars from that point through the end of production in 2017 already have the latest rack. The difference is gold plating on both sides of certain electrical contacts, which eliminates dissimilar metal corrosion and contact surface fretting. Prior to this point, the EPS rack had various attempts by GM to fix the problem with a band aid. The recall is to install the latest model EPS rack. But so far a portion of 2015 production - those having the magic grease fix attempt - have not been recalled.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Op I’m unclear exactly what info you’re looking for, but my 2015 got replaced under recall a year ago. Did not have any issues with it before replacement and haven’t had any issues since.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So it seems many issue after people have gotten it done. Alignment, sloppy, ac hoses broken. Debating on not having it done until it’s an issue now.
I made a list and gave it to the service writer. One time use nuts and bolts, alignment printout, steering angle reset. All that was done. I think the best approach is to try to talk to the guy that will be doing the work (or the service manager) to let them know that there have been many returns because it was done improperly. If you wait for a failure, you may be waiting weeks for the parts to arrive. Plus, the racks are being replaced now, which means you have a better chance of getting a mechanic who is familiar with doing it.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I made a list and gave it to the service writer. One time use nuts and bolts, alignment printout, steering angle reset. All that was done. I think the best approach is to try to talk to the guy that will be doing the work (or the service manager) to let them know that there have been many returns because it was done improperly. If you wait for a failure, you may be waiting weeks for the parts to arrive. Plus, the racks are being replaced now, which means you have a better chance of getting a mechanic who is familiar with doing it.
If I have to do that then they should not be doing to work.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I made a list and gave it to the service writer. One time use nuts and bolts, alignment printout, steering angle reset. ...
If I have to do that then they should not be doing to work.
Another concern about doing that is that you may end up pissing off the service writer and/or service tech. I have always found the preponderance of them generally regard owners as idiots already (especially if you dare mention reading something on the internet) and therefore seem to take up an agenda to show you that you're wrong and they're right.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Another concern about doing that is that you may end up pissing off the service writer and/or service tech. I have always found the preponderance of them generally regard owners as idiots already (especially if you dare mention reading something on the internet) and therefore seem to take up an agenda to show you that you're wrong and they're right.
Yup. I just want to have it done by a competent person and get the car back the way I dropped it off in. Right now there are now issues with the steering or ac. Drives and tracks straight and the steering wheel is centered. The ac hose isn’t leaking.

·
Super Moderator
13,755 Posts
A lot depends on the dealership credibility and the 'Customer to SM/SA/Tech relationship.' In my case it is a good relationship plus the SM & SA both know that I am perhaps more knowledgeable about the entire car than either of them, and appreciate any tips about certain operations and vise-versa. That holds them to a bit higher standard of care and we all come away pretty happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
979 Posts
A lot depends on the dealership credibility and the 'Customer to SM/SA/Tech relationship.' In my case it is a good relationship plus the SM & SA both know that I am perhaps more knowledgeable about the entire car than either of them, and appreciate any tips about certain operations and vise-versa. That holds them to a bit higher standard of care and we all come away pretty happy with the outcome.
Amen to this! I took the wife's '16 in to have it done, and the outcome was less than perfect. It took another trip back and a second alignment to make things right. When I picked her car up, I specifically asked to meet with the tech and the service writer and put the question to them: "Now that we've gone through this exercise once, can you guys schedule and complete this repair on my '15 SS in one day without a followup trip back here??" They assured me that they could, and they were true to their word. Being an informed and involved owner is the best way to approach these situations.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ah, I see what op is after. Well, my AC hose **** the bed after about 8 month or a year from the rack replacement. Don’t know if related. Everything else is good to go

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ah, I see what op is after. Well, my AC hose **** the bed after about 8 month or a year from the rack replacement. Don’t know if related. Everything else is good to go
Mine did same thing - forgot to mention that. Fun thing was that our service dept couldn't locate problem, but my buddies small shop found & fixed within 40min....

Working in the industry, best advice is that you are your best service advocate. Get an SA that truly cares about you or your car & you are in very small minority. I always make a list of specific items/directions if my car is going in our shop - and I know everyone - maybe that's the ultimate reason I do the list ;)

Reactions: fishbone

·
Registered
979 Posts
Most of the members here are car guys (o crap- car people) or they wouldn't have known about the SS in the first place. I've found that a lot of the staff who are employed at the dealerships are not gearheads, hence the reason why we can actually be in a position to give them a heads up on specific situations or issues that they are not even inclined or care to be aware of. Makes it easy not to give them our trust. In my former industry as a manufacturers rep, I tasked myself with ongoing "continuing education" so that I could not just show up as the salesman with the shiny shoes, but actually impart value added information to my customers and their end users. Sadly, today, so many people working their jobs are just there for the paycheck.

·
Registered
849 Posts
At some point in late 2016 GM incorporated the latest model EPS rack in production. All cars from that point through the end of production in 2017 already have the latest rack. The difference is gold plating on both sides of certain electrical contacts, which eliminates dissimilar metal corrosion and contact surface fretting. Prior to this point, the EPS rack had various attempts by GM to fix the problem with a band aid. The recall is to install the latest model EPS rack. But so far a portion of 2015 production - those having the magic grease fix attempt - have not been recalled.
Well the last recall states, “this covers all remaining 2015 and 2016 models”, also it states, “gold contacts began with MY 2017 production”. That said my March 15th 2016 build was NOT on the recall, yet I had a rack part number that WAS recalled on other 2016 builds. I convinced Chevy Executive Office and engineering people to add car to the recall. I think quite a few cars were omitted from the recall in error.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last Thursday I created an appointment to have the EPS recall work done on my 2016 here at the Chevy dealer in Baytown TX. Dropped it off at 10AM on Monday. The advisor informed me they had the rack in stock, but were expecting “bolts” to arrive Tuesday. He estimated it to be finished and ready for pickup late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Got a call at 9AM today that it was ready. No charge, no up-sale pressure, shop papers said they also did front end alignment. I left, car drives perfectly. Looked under the hood when I got home, looks perfect. No complaints, excellent service experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brass
41 - 57 of 57 Posts