Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had your EPS rack replaced under recall?

• Yes, it failed, I had no choice

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Yes, it was sort of a nightmare

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Yes, it was no big deal

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • No, I need to schedule it

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • No, I’ll do it when it fails

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No, my car is not included in the recall campaign.

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Silver/ Stock
139 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 2015 purchased at a Chevy dealer, and got the print out of warranty & recall work done. My rack was done under warranty with 7851 miles on 9/8/17.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just had my EPS swapped out yesterday. So far the steering is similar to the original EPS. Tour mode feels like there is a bit of play, but it could be less effort required.

I requested the same tech that worked on my car last time. Figured if anything else he will get to know my SS as he asked if I wanted to sell it.

The alignment has me a tad worried though. The LF tire was at 30 psi and the others were at 39psi. I will check today with my commute to work to see how everything tracks at speed. For those that had an alignment and didn't change the TTY bolts, how many miles before your alignment was out? I would like to keep an eye out for this.

In other neat features, the Dealership now has a drive over Hunter tread depth and alignment measurement station as you enter the service area.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I was one of those who delayed getting it fixed on my car.
Though not as a daily, I drove my car around for about a year with it failing on average 2-3 times every trip (sometimes more), so while it certainly isn't fun, it is, in fact, do-able. Long highway trips were the most annoying because I always hated to have to stop and reset it and thus consequently continued driving without assist. The very worst though was getting out of my driveway (a 3-5 point turn) from its parking spot. Once the car is rolling, it isn't so bad as I think a lot of folks here portray it. I will say, during that time if was failing, it did dissuade me from driving aggressively in the corners, both when the assist was working (for fear of it going out mid-turn) and when it wasn't working (for obvious reasons).
$.02
You didn't have to stop to reset the system since you're a 6MT. Just press the Start button twice to turn the car off, and press it once again (with the clutch depressed) to turn it back on. Had to do this a few times. There's no steering lock on our cars, and steering effort is the same with the car off if the rack isn't working anyway. Just make sure you've got some space in front of you since brakes will be slightly limited in that two seconds it takes to restart.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You didn't have to stop to reset the system since you're a 6MT. Just press the Start button twice to turn the car off, and press it once again (with the clutch depressed) to turn it back on. Had to do this a few times. There's no steering lock on our cars, and steering effort is the same with the car off if the rack isn't working anyway. Just make sure you've got some space in front of you since brakes will be slightly limited in that two seconds it takes to restart.
I was tempted to do this once when my infotainment system froze. I couldn’t even bring myself to do it at a stop light. I think I’m just too old and it’s ingrained in me from childhood that every time you shut a car off, there’s no guarantee it’ll restart.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I got used to doing it when coasting into my driveway with the engine off when kid was napping.

My childhood might've been similar but it was usually starters or their relay that failed, so I like a rolling restart, haha. There are two ways of doing this in the SS. Clutch engaged to use the starter, or just turning the ignition on when the car is in gear and rolling it and it just continues on its way like it was never off.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Good to know in a pinch, but I think I would still have preferred to come to a stop though. Having one system out of commission (i.e. steering) at a time is enough to contend with; wouldn't want to add brakes to that as well. Try explaining that one to the officer, insurance co., wife, etc.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I've been forced to do the rolling-reboot on other cars before, not fun, but you gotta laugh after the swear words at how sketchy it is.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've been forced to do the rolling-reboot on other cars before, not fun, but you gotta laugh after the swear words at how sketchy it is.
So much more sketchy in cars with push-button start in my experience. Can you do a rolling-reboot in automatic cars?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
The only time rolling restarts are fun is when you have a points ignition!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So much more sketchy in cars with push-button start in my experience. Can you do a rolling-reboot in automatic cars?
Yeah I didn't think you could. I recall in driver's ed having to do it, you'd be out driving and the guy would reach over and flick the key, you'd have to throw it in neutral and crank it back over while coasting. But that won't work if you have to have your foot on the brake and push the button.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I did it successfully in my 89 Cadillac.

Shift to N. Pray.

Never had to try on a modern push button. I imagine it requires more swear words.

·
Registered
849 Posts
@Taze, You and I appear to be in the same boat. My mid-April 2015 build has not been called back for steering rack replacement under any of the recalls. This morning, I was told again by the GM Executive Resolution Team that my VIN was not one of the "certain" SS sedans that was included in the current recall.

By the way, now that we have a category for voting in this poll, I just voted.

Thanks 16PB6MT.
The text of GMs own documents state “all cars produced Before March 24 2016, and all cars before the start of 2017 production“ are needing rack replacement. If GM can’t tell you WHY your 2015 or 2016 car isn’t on the recall keep after them. My 2016 wasn’t recalled and I got the same “VIN excluded” stock answer...but eventually GM engineers added my car to the recall.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The text of GMs own documents state “all cars produced Before March 24 2016, and all cars before the start of 2017 production“ are needing rack replacement. If GM can’t tell you WHY your 2015 or 2016 car isn’t on the recall keep after them. My 2016 wasn’t recalled and I got the same “VIN excluded” stock answer...but eventually GM engineers added my car to the recall.
Well hell, someone for to tell GM that 2014 comes before 2016!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just had the recall done. They did use the one-time nuts and bolts, but now the Auto Park does not work and the car pulls to the right. Curiously, I asked for and got the alignment printout. Everything was in spec except the Steer Ahead. I don't know why they didn't fix that, unless it was because they called at quitting time to let my wife know it was done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I lost EPS during a drive during a heavy rain storm. EPS resumed after the car was parked for a few hours.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My car was built April 9, 2015 and has not yet been identified as eligible for the EPS recall. With only 10,500 miles the steering still works fine, so I don't have need to obsess over whether the rack change would be done properly. I have talked to a few dealership service managers about their experience doing this, and am convinced that they are not following the instructions in the service manual as far as supporting and raising the engine to provide clearance to remove the rack assembly. I get called every once in a while about the other open recalls on my car, and my answer has been that I will bring the car in for the EPS recall if I am ever notified of eligibility, and they can do the other recalls at that time. At this point I don't expect this will ever happen. FWIW I was considering purchasing a C8 Corvette, but then reflected on GM Customer Service and the complexity of the new mid-engine Corvette and abandoned the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, almost everyone...

Pardon my total ignorance re this SS recall. What is it about? I have a '17. Do I read correctly that I'm not included? Thx.

·
Super Moderator
13,755 Posts
Pardon my total ignorance re this SS recall. What is it about? I have a '17. Do I read correctly that I'm not included? Thx.
also several more treads in this section: Warranty and Service Issues
Browse the Documents and Manuals sub-forum as well for recall info.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My '15 has been flawless. And the last time I checked there were no recalls on my car. Knock on wood it stays flawless. B.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts