Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had your EPS rack replaced under recall?

• Yes, it failed, I had no choice

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, it was sort of a nightmare

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Yes, it was no big deal

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • No, I need to schedule it

• No, I’ll do it when it fails

• No, my car is not included in the recall campaign.

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that everyone is included in the recall, tell us where you’re at.

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Well, almost everyone...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Early build 2016. Original but is covered by the recall. I am not really interested in having it replaced until I have an issue. But, I also haven’t had the seat belt recall done either, much to GM’s chagrin based on the number of notices they send me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedKing67

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
My recall came up early in 16. Not long after one boot fell off and the other loose and
on it's way. So i returned to the dealership, asked how they warranty their work and that
they should do so here. Now i did see the service assistant speak to manager and
then quote me $400.00 to repair because my BTB had expired. So nightmare in my
vote...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
December 15th 2015 build date, included in the recall. Jimmy Vasser Chevy is my dealer, Jimmy drives an SS as a daily so they know EVERYTHING about the SS, super fortunate. This is a one day job, would never leave my car at a dealer for 2 weeks. They order the parts, schedule the date, then knock it out. I have zero concerns about it (my parts are on order now).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Original rack failed multiple times and dealer ordered parts based on picture of the warning screen on the dash (pre-recall). Dropped off in the morning, picked up in the evening with no issues since.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I called the dealer to drop it off and have it done but they didn’t have loaners. Covid stopped that. So I’m still driving it. They said those I drop it off for inspection then order the parts and I can take the car back while waiting for parts to show up. I would not leave the car for weeks while waiting for the rack.

To the one who left it should’ve just took it back to enjoy it while waiting.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In a few more weeks I'll bring my Colorado in for it's one free oil change, figure while I'm waiting there I'll bring the recall notice and speak with the service manager about doing the rack on the SS, and schedule it for sometime in the fall. Nervous about them doing it right. Fairly high volume dealer but they never had much SS inventory (the one they had was spoken for when I was buying during 20% off). They did a rack/pump replacement on our 10 Traverse years ago and had no problems, but we know dealer techs tend to turn over frequently now.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
‘14 here. Failed, replaced - not by recall or warranty...GM and dealer helped me out with the cost, but still had to spend coin - pretty pissed as the car only had around 36k on the clock at the time. Now there’s another recall and GM said that I don’t qualify for a refund because it’s a different issue.

Hate the situation, still love the car though

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
‘14 here. Failed, replaced - not by recall or warranty...GM and dealer helped me out with the cost, but still had to spend coin - pretty pissed as the car only had around 36k on the clock at the time. Now there’s another recall and GM said that I don’t qualify for a refund because it’s a different issue.

Hate the situation, still love the car though
I still don’t understand that. At all.

Every recall that is issued for any car, any manufacturer, it is standard operating procedure to reimburse anyone who paid for the repair out of pocket prior to the recall. (For all I know it might be required by law)

No 14-16 SS owner should have to pay for their first EPS rack replacement. Period.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Stopped by Galles Chevrolet on Saturday. The rack has arrived. They say that they will try to set up an appointment for being the first in to the tech who does the repair. Want to get in early so that it's done in one day instead of 2, like what happened with the wife's '16. To be continued....

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I ignored the recall and it failed at highway speeds. It was kind of a big deal. It's not like going from power steering to not having power steering. It's more like your steering effort goes up by a hundred fold, not like 3 or 4.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
What about us "Not recalled" people? 😕
April 16, 2015 build

Reactions: RedKing67

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I still don’t understand that. At all.

Every recall that is issued for any car, any manufacturer, it is standard operating procedure to reimburse anyone who paid for the repair out of pocket prior to the recall. (For all I know it might be required by law)

No 14-16 SS owner should have to pay for their first EPS rack replacement. Period.
Agreed, but they claimed that my rack wasn’t subject to replacement under the recall at the time. I call horsehucky

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I would fill in a GM claim form and mail it in with the receipts. In theory you have waited too long to claim, but I still think it will get paid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What about us "Not recalled" people? 😕
April 16, 2015 build
@Taze, You and I appear to be in the same boat. My mid-April 2015 build has not been called back for steering rack replacement under any of the recalls. This morning, I was told again by the GM Executive Resolution Team that my VIN was not one of the "certain" SS sedans that was included in the current recall.

By the way, now that we have a category for voting in this poll, I just voted.

Thanks 16PB6MT.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I'm very surprised that there are still folks who haven't scheduled a recall service for something as inconsequential as a whole steering rack. :rolleyes:

Having driven a car (not the SS mind you) that had a steering rack fail mid corner, I can assure you the effects are not trivial.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I'm very surprised that there are still folks who haven't scheduled a recall service for something as inconsequential as a whole steering rack. :rolleyes:

Having driven a car (not the SS mind you) that had a steering rack fail mid corner, I can assure you the effects are not trivial.
I was one of those who delayed getting it fixed on my car.
Though not as a daily, I drove my car around for about a year with it failing on average 2-3 times every trip (sometimes more), so while it certainly isn't fun, it is, in fact, do-able. Long highway trips were the most annoying because I always hated to have to stop and reset it and thus consequently continued driving without assist. The very worst though was getting out of my driveway (a 3-5 point turn) from its parking spot. Once the car is rolling, it isn't so bad as I think a lot of folks here portray it. I will say, during that time if was failing, it did dissuade me from driving aggressively in the corners, both when the assist was working (for fear of it going out mid-turn) and when it wasn't working (for obvious reasons).
$.02

1 - 20 of 59 Posts