Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to part of a session of my track day this Monday. Because of a lack of instructors, we did a lead - follow system with my instructor in the cammed 1LE, first timer, in front on me (what a beast that car is!). He (instructor) alternated sessions between me and the Camaro. First time I solo'd on a track. By the end my instructor recommended me for HPDE2 for tracks I've driven. It was a great day. Topped out at 115 on the straight. The cammed 1LE was between 125-130. There were at least two other SS owners there, but neither were running their SS's. One had a C7 stingray (can see it in the background) (sorry you're subjected to my ugly mug). The BMW was an M5 Competition.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
Cool vid, looked like a blast. I'd consider trying manual mode to keep the transmission from hunting and in the correct gear, and the engine wound up a bit more. Post up again after the next session!

Reactions: fpc1457 and ESindon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cool vid, looked like a blast. I'd consider trying manual mode to keep the transmission from hunting and in the correct gear, and the engine wound up a bit more. Post up again after the next session!
Not confident in using manual mode, but I realize I should get better at it. I'm looking at end of August as a next time potentially. Hoping I can get the same coach but on a different course for then.

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
Not confident in using manual mode, but I realize I should get better at it.
I get it completely. Slide the shifter over and use the paddles. The tach helps, perhaps in the HUD, but your ears are the key. I'd downshift dropping in, it'll hold the gear for you, and will be ready to throttle out at the apex without hunting. At that point the tach will be your friend as your ears begin to work with it on shift points.
Quite honestly as long as you are having fun the rest really doesn't matter that much. 👍🏁

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get it completely. Slide the shifter over and use the paddles. The tach helps, perhaps in the HUD, but your ears are the key. I'd downshift dropping in, it'll hold the gear for you, and will be ready to throttle out at the apex without hunting. At that point the tach will be your friend as your ears begin to work with it on shift points.
Quite honestly as long as you are having fun the rest really doesn't matter that much. 👍🏁
Really appreciate this. The coach I had this time was the same coach I had when I did the south course. He mentioned manually shifting. I believe if we went out and I asked him to help with manual shifting he would definitely do it especially if we have some open track behind me. If I go in August, and I can request him if he will be there, I will definitely ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts