Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so Pioneer has a new modular head unit that consists of a screen and a silver box connected via cable:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uikFdjEPty0/p_130DMC5500/Pioneer-DMH-C5500NEX.html

I'm thinking I could remove the factory screen, create a new cable extension for it and relocate it into my driver's side sunvisor, or somewhere else entirely. That'd leave me having access to all car controls, etc.
Mount the new Pioneer silver box wherever it fits and put that 8" screen in the stock 8" screen location. Should be able to access steering wheel controls via the new Pioneer unit. Backup camera would likely be an issue, but Pioneer unit allows front and rear camera inputs...

Just brainstorming here.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,662 Posts
I see that Crutchfield doesn't recommend replacing our radios.

·
Registered
151 Posts
parts express has a new DSP that isn't expensive and can stream blue tooth audio. You'd be better off just buying that, bypassing the radio, and playing music off of a blue tooth device.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Okay, so Pioneer has a new modular head unit that consists of a screen and a silver box connected via cable:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uikFdjEPty0/p_130DMC5500/Pioneer-DMH-C5500NEX.html

I'm thinking I could remove the factory screen, create a new cable extension for it and relocate it into my driver's side sunvisor, or somewhere else entirely. That'd leave me having access to all car controls, etc.
Mount the new Pioneer silver box wherever it fits and put that 8" screen in the stock 8" screen location. Should be able to access steering wheel controls via the new Pioneer unit. Backup camera would likely be an issue, but Pioneer unit allows front and rear camera inputs...

Just brainstorming here.
Relocate the factory screen to the sun visor? Is this even remotely possible? Doesn't seem like it.

I would just be happy with a decent EQ in the factory system that was easily accessed. Hunting for the 3 band "tone" control just sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
My buddy already did a swap. He disassembled a head unit, I gave him some "typical" schematics for the SS, and he revamped his audio with a lot of custom work.

I'll get some photos

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relocate the factory screen to the sun visor? Is this even remotely possible? Doesn't seem like it.

I would just be happy with a decent EQ in the factory system that was easily accessed. Hunting for the 3 band "tone" control just sucks.

Sure it's possible, it's just lengthening the existing wires. The screen is already a separate piece from the main unit, connected by wires.
Then again, not sure if the current sun visor is big enough...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sure it's possible, it's just lengthening the existing wires. The screen is already a separate piece from the main unit, connected by wires.
Then again, not sure if the current sun visor is big enough...
Gotcha, I haven't compared the size of the two but that's what I was thinking. Size and wires. How many wires? Then you would end up with a bundle of wires coming out of the headliner and back into the visor.

I guess if it is just a few wires it's not a big issue, I just don't like hacking stuff up to "make it work" you know? Also you would have to move the visor around all the time trying to use the screen, get it out of the way to drive, ect. Seems like you would be asking for trouble with the wires, well screen too I guess.

Maybe possible wasn't the right word, maybe 'practical' is better.

Also, everyone is different on what kind of install they like, and the quality of it too. I like stock looking myself. If it didn't look like it could have come from the factory on most stuff, I wouldn't like it.

And you were brainstorming, I get it, I am too.

Heck, some people would be happy with the screen duct taped to the windshield. As long as it was black or maybe red tape, not gray....custom you know.... :laugh

·
Registered
20 Posts
@speedrye did you ever look further into this modular head unit? I've seen it and with the maestro idatalink do you think its possible to swap out for the Pioneer unit?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? If it's better sound, just add a good DSP. The low levels from the factory radio are just fine.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@speedrye did you ever look further into this modular head unit? I've seen it and with the maestro idatalink do you think its possible to swap out for the Pioneer unit?

Nope, plenty of other things ahead of the radio on the priority list. The amps and sub made things tolerable for some time. If I was putting in an aftermarket head unit, I'd still want to keep the factory silver box for control over vehicle settings. I don't know what the idatalink is capable of though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nope, plenty of other things ahead of the radio on the priority list. The amps and sub made things tolerable for some time. If I was putting in an aftermarket head unit, I'd still want to keep the factory silver box for control over vehicle settings. I don't know what the idatalink is capable of though.
The iDataLink does all that. At this point the only thing that might not work is heated/ventilated seats... I don't remember what the person in the now-closed "CarPlay in my SS" thread did to get them working.

·
Registered
2015 SS, Peacock Green, M6
24 Posts
The iDataLink does all that. At this point the only thing that might not work is heated/ventilated seats... I don't remember what the person in the now-closed "CarPlay in my SS" thread did to get them working.
Fast forward and this thread plus a few others got me going on getting this done. Check post, #21 in my newer thread here:

Can you help me figure out the pin-outs for the pair of button connectors that plug in the factory screen, one on left the other on right, direct from the seat heat/cool buttons?

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Not sure if one of these will have what you want but I believe all the electrical PDF's are posted in a file here.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw those also but the mysterious 10-pin connectors are absent. It’s as if the Info Display Module (the 8” stock screen) is considered to be a black box with no reference I found to any of the three connectors plugged into the sides it! It does show the three connectors plugged in the back - two of which carry lots of info. However, even there, no direct reference is made to the exact circuit that appears to relay the serial data back and forth - #6133.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I've put in a Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX since I last posted here. The trick to get the heated and ventilated seats working is to get the board on the back of the stock screen into the dash, and plug in the connectors that were previously plugged into it. I ended up removing it from the screen itself in order to do that, and it tucks in above the Pioneer "silverbox" (for lack of a better term). The LEDs on the buttons will not work -- those are controlled by the stock silverbox, which is not in the car with any aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I've put in a Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX since I last posted here. The trick to get the heated and ventilated seats working is to get the board on the back of the stock screen into the dash, and plug in the connectors that were previously plugged into it. I ended up removing it from the screen itself in order to do that, and it tucks in above the Pioneer "silverbox" (for lack of a better term). The LEDs on the buttons will not work -- those are controlled by the stock silverbox, which is not in the car with any aftermarket unit.
Right - and I also have retained the function of the buttons by plugging the entire screen back in. I have room for it because my big screen sits out in front of it, flushed to the bezel surround. I am wanting to get the buttons to show the red leds and to also just light up at night (intensity controlled by the roller knob for interior illumination (“dimmer”) as they did before. They lit up along with all the other interior switches and controls. I could stop now and have a satisfactory outcome but I want to see about getting the data link re-established between those buttons and the BCM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My response moved to answer you on my thread where you moved your reply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts