Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update as noted in post #36- I'll be returning the PS4s and getting back into the ECS.

I've been running the ECS for the past 45k miles, and recent swapped over to the PS4s in hopes of a better tire, albeit at a decently higher price. Nothing but the best for my baby! Both tires were using 255/40 and 285/35 split.

The stock tires didn't make it 15k miles to belts showing, and each set of the ECS made it around 15k miles to 1/32" of tread from new. I hated the stock tires on all accounts, so I'll just leave those out of my thoughts/comments. I'm in central NC and run the summer tires year-round, except for sub-25 degree temperatures. The car stays toasty in the garage on those days. I do very little city driving, and very little highway driving. Most of my miles are back country roads. No strip, track or autocross usage on these tires. Since I purchased the car new, NC has become a rain forest and record rainfalls happen very regularly, so many of my miles were on wet roads, heavy rain and a good bit of inch deep ponding water. The car has Rotofab, ported TB, ported and modded intake, tune, long tubes, etc. with power routed through the manual tranny.

I loved the ECS as a whole. Traction was great in the wet and dry. Grip was reduced some in the coldest of mornings, but not so much to be hazardous. I could still regularly pull .9-1.0 G's on 32-degree rubber. Similarly, I couldn't go stupid with the gas pedal, or the tires would spin. On a dry 80-degree day, I couldn't spin the tires in first from a standing start. Redline shifts to 2nd would produce 5'-10' of wheelspin before hooking and going. In aggressive cornering, I'd see upwards of 1.15Gs to 1.17Gs with no hint of getting loose and no tire squeal.

A huge factor for me on the ECS was performance when they got worn. Even at the wear bars, or less, the tires gave excellent traction in the dry, and remarkably, in the wet. Hydroplaning was never a concern, nor was heavy, hard cornering on wet roads with bald tires. Truly impressive.

The only complaint I really had with the ECS was feel. The sidewalls are mushy, and you can really feel it on initial turn in as they take a split second to load up and start turning. My SUV on 315/70 tires even has better initial response. After a few thousand miles, you get used to it, anticipate the delay and turn in a split second earlier. It's the difference between hitting an apex perfectly, or overshooting it. Otherwise, the tires were surprisingly compliant (probably due to the mushy sidewalls), lightweight and wore perfectly evenly at all corners with no tire rotations at all. They weren't quiet, but they weren't loud. They were silent in the corners though with no tire squeal. If you dump the clutch in first, they'd spin with no squeal before grabbing and going. The tires were quite sticky though, and kicked up a lot of sand/gravel, especially when warm. Thankfully, my car has the Holden mudflaps, so my rockers aren't too bad.

My decision to go with the PS4s was purely based on Tire Rack's summer tire comparison and the positive reviews showing the PS4s better in every category. I'm only 1k miles into the PS4s at this point, so I'll be adding to this thread as I wear the tires out.

Initial impressions? Meh. After wearing off the release compound in quick order to get to the sticky part of the tires, I've been playing with them and playing with air pressures to find a good balance. I'm still playing with those looking for a happy medium.

Initial turn-in is superb!! You think it, the tire does it, no delay. It does this without being darty or anything though. This is a huge improvement over the ECS. Ride down the road is still compliant, but harsher on road joints and other imperfections. There doesn't seem to be any loss of traction hitting these imperfections during hard cornering though, so it's just about ride quality.

At 32-degrees out, the tires had good traction still. Very close to the Continentals, enough so that I'd call it a tie. That was one big concern I had for the PS4s, but they passed that test.

Interestingly, the PS4s feel stickier to the hand when warm, but they don't kick up the grit and gravel anywhere near as much as the ECS. Not sure what that's about, but it's a good thing.

80+ degree cornering is great. There's not a lot of improvement over the ECS, but I'm generally seeing .02-.03 more Gs in the same corners. There might be more to be had, but these PS4s are NOISY closer to the limits compared to the ECS. They squeal a lot more. I've tried from 35psi to 42 psi and it's there regardless. NOT happy about this. Doing a launch, same thing, more squeal.

Speaking of launches, to get them to squeal, I've got to do something stupid. Like the ECS, they don't spin at all on a 100% throttle in a standing start. Shifting to second at redline doesn't allow the few feet of slippage the ECS gave, these just bite and go. While that sounds good, it's actually a bit abrupt on a fast shift. I suspect the ECS would be quicker on a 0-60 run due to always giving that perfect slip in between the shifts. So, I need more power to get back to that feeling using the PS4s. Oh darn!

The last few tests are still coming in the future as it's been dry since I've had the PS4s on the car, and I'm nowhere near running these things bald yet. If these perform as well or better in the rain as the ECS, I will be exceptionally impressed as wet-weather traction is a priority for me. If they also do as well when bald, they'll pass the tests that most concerned me about purchasing the PS4s.

Overall summary thus far- The PS4s isn't worth the price increase over the ECS. While performance is slightly improved, and turn-in is great, the squealing tires really bother me. Both are a (and I can't stress this enough) HUGE improvement over the crap the car came with from the factory. Hopefully wet weather performance is decently improved over the ECS and I'll be happier with the tires, but so far, this is not a case of getting my money's worth.

Oh, also, many thanks to Discount Tire for matching prices and including replacement certificates for free! Great job on the installation too. Jack points were considered and an actual torque wrench was used!!

Apologies for the dirty car, but daily drivers get dirty, deal with it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I’ve got almost 19k on the OE ‘stones and can’t wait to try something else. But with my office going permanent work from home, who knows how much longer till they wear out. Thanks for the write up.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Such a great writeup! Good to hear the first hand experience in living with the two and using them back to back. I've had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my previous SS and loved them as did most automotive journalists for years. I've yet to pull the trigger on the 4S and have struggled a little with cost vs the competition even though I usually don't skimp on this car whatsoever. I currently have Bridgestone S007A on my summer setup in 255/285 (CTS-V wheels) and they're great (completely different than the RE05As) and every bit the performer as my MPSS were......but I'd love to try the ECS or 4S but that $200 up-charge for the Michelin had me wondering if it was worth it. This is coming from a big Michelin fan who's purchased 4 sets of the brand for performance oriented cars in the past 6 years. Steering feel sounds awesome but the squealing would be a huge let down.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weather forecast shows wet weather testing starting on Monday.

A few additional thoughts:

Okay, I've determined the squealing tires to be dependent on the asphalt to an extent. Some roads are much more prone to squealing than others. Generally, roads paved in the past few years squeal a lot more, where older roads don't do it much at all. The PS4s are still louder on the old pavement in hard cornering, but not squealing.

As mentioned, initial turn-in on the PS4s in corners is great, but they lack the feel of the ECS through mid corner and the ECS is superior on corner exit with a more neutral balance. This is potentially related to tire pressure adjustments, so I'll keep playing with it. As a general rule, I brake on the earlier side and am hard on the throttle through the turn. This style seems to fit the balance of the SS better and keeps me neutral through corners where the gas pedal can be used to adjust the cars slip angle.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my car is in that batch of 2016 models where the front is a lot higher than the rear. I'm not sure what's different about the suspensions in this batch of cars to cause this, but I need to lower my front 1"+ to get the stance of a stock 2014 or 2017. I've got Whiteline bushings and King springs in the garage to do this, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Weather forecast shows wet weather testing starting on Monday.

A few additional thoughts:

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my car is in that batch of 2016 models where the front is a lot higher than the rear. I'm not sure what's different about the suspensions in this batch of cars to cause this, but I need to lower my front 1"+ to get the stance of a stock 2014 or 2017. I've got Whiteline bushings and King springs in the garage to do this, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Thanks for the write up(s)! First I’ve ever heard about different stock ride heights, how could I have missed it...?!?).

Does this apply to all ‘16’s or just some?

Front shipping blocks out of the springs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely no shipping blocks. I've read a few other posts in the past about this, but it only seemed to be limited to some 2016 models. There aren't many dimensions posted in the suspension lowering threads, but of those posted, my front runs higher by a decent bit. I'm always left wondering if I swap the front to lowering springs, if it'll be normal, or I'll end up with the front too low. I've got standard King lowering springs ready to go, the next step above the SL springs. Parking next to another stock-height SS makes it really noticeable. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,587 Posts
Your review is encouraging so thanks for posting!
I realize I may get lambasted for this, but I've had two bad experiences with Mitchlen's so-called premium performance tires. I had the Pilot Super Sports followed by the PS2's on my 2007 VW Passat. They were a nightmare to balance, developed flat spots quickly, required multiple alignments, and they still wore out the inside shoulders. Notwithstanding, on the rare occasions where everything adjusted perfectly, the ride was as smooth as glass. Maybe they would do well on my heavier than stock SS, but I'm reluctant. I've had excellent service from the DW06, but I would like to try something different this time around. The new DW06+ seems logical, but I've been eyeing the BFGoodrich. The reviews and costs are on par with the Conti's. :unsure:

·
Registered
RotoFab & LMS 93 aggressive + tune|resonator delete|275/35 square set up
196 Posts
Part of the problem with you guys and steering feel with the Conti ECS, or any other tire is you are replacing the OEM 245/40 front tire with a 255/40 that now has more sidewall, and thereby, less directness. I’m on my 2nd set of ECS right now, first was 245/40 front and 275/35 rear just like OEM, now I’m running 275/35 square. Guess what? Steering feel and precision in either set up are equal to or better than the following tires I’ve had on my SS: OEM Bridgestone RE050As, Bridgestone Potenza S0-4s, Conti EC DW, and finally the previous Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The old Conti DW summer tires were worst for steering feel and the ECS is a revelation in comparison. And yes, I frequently get past .9-1G on my local cloverleafs etc. so I dint take it easy by any means.

Don’t get taller sidewall front tires and lament decreased steering precision, its to be expected. Get 275/35s all around and you have a cut rate 1LE version of your SS.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,587 Posts
Part of the problem with you guys and steering feel with the Conti ECS, or any other tire is you are replacing the OEM 245/40 front tire with a 255/40 that now has more sidewall, and thereby, less directness. I’m on my 2nd set of ECS right now, first was 245/40 front and 275/35 rear, just like OEM, now I’m running 275/35 square. Guess what? Steering feel and precision in either set up are equal to or better than the following tires I’ve had on my SS: OEM Bridgestone RE050As, Bridgestone Potenza S0-4s, Conti EC DW, and finally the previous Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The old Conti DW summer tires were worst for steering feel and the ECS is a revelation in comparison. And yes, I frequently get past .9-1G on my local cloverleafs etc. so I dint take it easy by any means.

Don’t get taller sidewall front tires and lament decreased steering precision, its to be expected. Get 275/35s all around and you have a cut rate 1LE version of your SS.
Who you callin' you guys?! Yes, I'm kidding. You bring up excellent points; now I'm more indecisive than before.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Very interesting comparison. I briefly looked at the Continental ECS but I’ve just never been a Continental fan (but I’ve never used the ECS) and a guy I work with has a modified 335d and goes through a lot of tires and kept telling me not to do it because the Michelins were so much better. I’ve been a Michelin fan for years so it wasn’t hard to convince me to replace my PSS with the P4S. You’ll definitely be happy with the wet traction, they’re phenomenal. I’ll be curious if you think they’re better than the ECS. I do think the P4S is a little noisier than the PSS but it isn’t bad.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Definitely no shipping blocks. I've read a few other posts in the past about this, but it only seemed to be limited to some 2016 models. There aren't many dimensions posted in the suspension lowering threads, but of those posted, my front runs higher by a decent bit. I'm always left wondering if I swap the front to lowering springs, if it'll be normal, or I'll end up with the front too low. I've got standard King lowering springs ready to go, the next step above the SL springs. Parking next to another stock-height SS makes it really noticeable. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.
This is very intriguing to me. I’ve had aftermarket wheels on my car since it was new so it made the stock ride height look really bad but it handles and rides so much better with the stock suspension. I always hated how the front looked so much higher than the rear and that was the only reason I tried lowering it. I’ve never heard anyone mention this about the 16s before. Any idea what the difference is? All the front suspension part numbers appear to be the same for 15-17. The stock springs are discontinued.

I hated the SL springs on the stock mag ride, it handled terrible in my opinion but no one else here seems to agree with me. So far I have been unable to get the car to look great, handle great, and ride great at the same time. I can only get two at a time. I’m on my second set of coilovers and it looks and handles great but I’m not happy with the ride. I’m tired of making adjustments since it needs an alignment each time. I’m very close to just throwing in the towel and putting the mag ride back in.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Good write up on the subject, appreciate your thoughts and details as well as conclusion. I bought the ECS's last spring only because the 4S's weren't in stock for the rears and I didn't want to wait (the cost savings was nice too) otherwise I'd have gone with the Michelins. Anything to get rid of those garbage stock Bridgestones. I only have about 4k miles on the setup but like it so far. I do not feel my handling calibration is good enough to make any conclusions useful to others, but you are definitely right about them picking up everything on the road once warmed up.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
On the ride height, we noticed this same thing October 2016 when we had a Nor/Cal meet with several SS's parked next to each other. I know we took measurements at center of the fender lip but darn if I can find them now. If memory serves on OE springs and OE Potenza's the MRC cars (15-16 then) sat 1/4-3/8" higher than the 2014 non-MRC cars.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you put 2014 front springs on an MRC car. The rear springs are the same part number 14-17 so it isn’t like it’s totally crazy. I still wish I had tried putting the stock rear springs back in and left the King SL springs in the front to see what would happen. The rear is what I was really unhappy with using the King springs (I tried SSL, SL, and standard height in the rear). People kept trying to tell me the poor handling was my wheels/tires and/or tire pressure so I put the suspension totally back to stock to disprove that theory. Sorry, I guess we’re going off topic here. I just really don’t want to sell this car because I can’t get the suspension where I’m happy with it. I’ve never had this much trouble with any other car I’ve owned.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
On the ride height, we noticed this same thing October 2016 when we had a Nor/Cal meet with several SS's parked next to each other. I know we took measurements at center of the fender lip but darn if I can find them now. If memory serves on OE springs and OE Potenza's the MRC cars (15-16 then) sat 1/4-3/8" higher than the 2014 non-MRC cars.
This sounds like a different situation though, Russ. You were comparing non-MRC cars to MRC cars there, not just model year '16 MRC cars to all others (i.e. '15 and '17 MRC cars too). Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@speedrye Were Falken FK510s on your radar at all?

I swapped my 17 SS for a 13 Caprice and got some aftermarket wheels that I'd like to put summer tires on. The FK510s look like a good competitor to the ECS and 4S.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
738 Posts
This is very intriguing to me. I’ve had aftermarket wheels on my car since it was new so it made the stock ride height look really bad but it handles and rides so much better with the stock suspension. I always hated how the front looked so much higher than the rear and that was the only reason I tried lowering it. I’ve never heard anyone mention this about the 16s before. Any idea what the difference is? All the front suspension part numbers appear to be the same for 15-17. The stock springs are discontinued.

I hated the SL springs on the stock mag ride, it handled terrible in my opinion but no one else here seems to agree with me. So far I have been unable to get the car to look great, handle great, and ride great at the same time. I can only get two at a time. I’m on my second set of coilovers and it looks and handles great but I’m not happy with the ride. I’m tired of making adjustments since it needs an alignment each time. I’m very close to just throwing in the towel and putting the mag ride back in.
Hence the reason I don’t keep the full size spare in the trunk as it makes the tire gap between front and rear close on my stock car height and 255/285 AS3+ tire setup.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Hence the reason I don’t keep the full size spare in the trunk as it makes the tire gap between front and rear close on my stock car height and 255/285 AS3+ tire setup.

I have stock size tires and spare in trunk and the car always had a rake. It’s slightly more of a rake now but still had a rake. I also have the trunk full of junk and an amp/sub. I like the rake now. Was gonna get those eibach springs but have no desire now. Sits nice and handles really well.

I’ll prolly get ps4s next year or whatever is available at that time that is equivalent.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts