Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy and welcome to the new Off-Topic Photography sub-Forum. There's a lot of picture threads in this forum and most all of us have a camera with us all the time.
Forum members have a wealth of info on this broad topic, we can learn much from each other.
In this new forum section let's share tips about:
How to Make Better Images: Composition, Lighting, Subject, Settings
Gear and how NOT to get or suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Photo Genres: Landscape, Travel, Cars, Portrait, Nature, Macro, Astro...

We can share photos other than car photos.
How about a thread on photo critique? Seek and get constructive feedback on how to improve your images.
No one has all the answers, so just like the main part of this board, let's get different POVs to figure out what's best for us. (And like the inevitable AT v MT debates, we can have Canon v Nikon or Camera v Phone, hehe.)

ALL are welcome to participate and start your own threads, so c'mon on in, the lighting's great.

SUGGESTIONS:
Let's use this thread for intros only.
Post your pics in another existing thread or feel free to start your own.
If you REPLY to a pic post, please delete the picture link from your reply so we don't have pages full of the same image repeating.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
We can share photos other than car photos.
How about a thread on photo critique? Seek and get constructive feedback on how to improve your images.
No one has all the answers, so just like the main part of this board, let's get different POVs to figure out what's best for us. (And like the inevitable AT v MT debates, we can have Canon v Nikon or Camera v Phone, hehe.)

ALL are welcome to participate and start your own threads, so c'mon on in, the lighting's great.

Great ideas for a constructive photo thread!!!!!!

You are the man Ira !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Photobucket help

Trying to post a pic of mine from Photo Bucket and not able to do it. Have done it on other forums without a problem, don't get it.

I give up.......

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Just realized that the file size constraints may put a real damper on this section. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just realized that the file size constraints may put a real damper on this section. Thoughts?
Resize the image in your phone or camera. Or use MS Paint to resize, just open, select all, resize.
I started using PostImage for free hosting. Upload and then use the direct link to post here using the 'Insert Image' button above the Reply box.
I am resizing also because I'm not going to post full rez photos in public domain.

Any one else have suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
What would be a reasonable size limit if we were to ask for a bump in size for photo related file types?

Current limits -
bmp 976.6 KB 1920 1200
gif 976.6 KB 1920 1200
jpe 976.6 KB 1920 1200

jpeg 976.6 KB 1920 1200

jpg - 1920 1200

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be a reasonable size limit if we were to ask for a bump in size for photo related file types?

Current limits -
bmp 976.6 KB 1920 1200
gif 976.6 KB 1920 1200
jpe 976.6 KB 1920 1200

jpeg 976.6 KB 1920 1200

jpg - 1920 1200
All of these will require resizing as modern cameras and phones have standard image sizes of >4MB.
Larger sizes really aren't necessary for forum viewing. Many photographers won't care to post print quality images on the web.
It's not hard to resize and since this section is about photography, it's a helpful skill to know.
Anyone else have suggestions?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Resize the image in your phone or camera. Or use MS Paint to resize, just open, select all, resize.
I started using PostImage for free hosting. Upload and then use the direct link to post here using the 'Insert Image' button above the Reply box.
I am resizing also because I'm not going to post full rez photos in public domain.

Any one else have suggestions?
I was just trying to link to the PhotoBucket location, so the size should not impact the forum server, I thought.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
scotlandmtns.JPG

Had to do an attach, file size was not an issue, it is less than 200K.

Anyway this is a pic I took in the highlands of Scotland.

***** should have been put in the landscape thread but did not see it when I started *****

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 259971

Had to do an attach, file size was not an issue, it is less than 200K.

Anyway this is a pic I took in the highlands of Scotland.
How do you do an attach?

Gorgeous! What lens did you use with your Canon?
If the peak was lost in the clouds, your cropping works well.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
How do you do an attach?

Gorgeous! What lens did you use with your Canon?
If the peak was lost in the clouds, your cropping works well.
Just click on the paperclip icon to get the pop up selection.

Yes the mountains were not visible any higher, and it was not cropped, amazed myself how well it came out. Lens was a 50 to 105 zoom I think.

Canon EOS D60
F11
73mm
1/320 sec
ISO 400

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
All of these will require resizing as modern cameras and phones have standard image sizes of >4MB.
Larger sizes really aren't necessary for forum viewing. Many photographers won't care to post print quality images on the web.
It's not hard to resize and since this section is about photography, it's a helpful skill to know.
Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks. I understand the reasoning on that. We can always ask if the need arises.
On another note - I stuck this thread because of your great introduction posts.
Perhaps this thread would be best to be information and instruction only without photos -- what do you think?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Perhaps this thread would be best to be information and instruction only without photos -- what do you think?

I think that would be difficult to do without pics, but a possibility I guess.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I understand the reasoning on that. We can always ask if the need arises.
On another note - I stuck this thread because of your great introduction posts.
Thank you Pinetree for getting us this sub-forum and making the intro a sticky!
I'm starting other threads for posting pics, guess I should make that clear in the intro.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Thanks, Ira, but all the credit goes to @scooter trash for the idea, to Admin for the work and to you for kicking it off with a good intro.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Yeah, my mistake - should have looked back to see who sent the email with the idea.

@scooter trash - my sincere apology.

I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it and Mike is probably snickering and will rib you about it too.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Actually it was smirnoff67 that gave me the idea and iratollah's comments about photograph that had me put it all together to suggest a photography thread.
This is my effort to have the forum survive since this is a limited production car that is out of production we need to look outside the box (or car) to have it survive.
Lets just say it was a forum effort Smirnoff67, iratollah, pinetree, admin, me and all the picture takers on the forum:grin

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I want to say for those of you that are, shall we say photograph equipment challenged. Hey! I have been where Iratollah is now. I had the Minolta 35mm SLR with 5 different lenses, filters, auto-winder, remote trigger, pistol grip camera holder with shutter button elevated flash and tripod. I sold it all (except the tripod) and now I use a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 Mega pixel DCS-W55 with 3X zoom. All of my photos you see or have seen on this forum are with that little Sony camera. So do not feel bad that all you have is your phone to take pictures. Take them and share them with us. Size of your equipment does not matter, composition does.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to say for those of you that are, shall we say photograph equipment challenged. Hey! I have been where Iratollah is now. I had the Minolta 35mm SLR with 5 different lenses, filters, auto-winder, remote trigger, pistol grip camera holder with shutter button elevated flash and tripod. I sold it all (except the tripod) and now I use a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 Mega pixel DCS-W55 with 3X zoom. All of my photos you see or have seen on this forum are with that little Sony camera. So do not feel bad that all you have is your phone to take pictures. Take them and share them with us. Size of your equipment does not matter, composition does.
Agree, the best camera is the one you have with you. High end gear is NOT a requirement for good phots. The finest custom golf clubs in the world won't make any of us professional level golfers, camera gear is the same: it's not the gear but who's handling it.
Gonna start a gear thread, it's an important subject. Too many photographers get caught up in fancy gear; they'd create much better images by taking a composition class than just throwing a couple of grand into a kit.

Scooter, you don't quite know where I am now. Most of my photos are with a small Fuji X-30 point and shoot. Needed something compact, I got tired of schlepping a big gear bag. Chose the Fuji 'cuz it's small, easy to shoot in manual mode and offers RAW format. And has a really cool retro look, most folks think it's an old viewfinder film camera. But it has limitations. Not great for low light, not gonna able to make big prints from the images.

I do a lot of low light, night, and astrophotography. Also use off-camera flash. I need the fast glass and features that aren't available on the point and shoots. The Fuji X-30 is superb, but really disappoints after dark. Will get into my gear and what I've learned in a thread later today.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts