Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area where there is no emissions testing. I'm cammed and deleted... Due to my current job, I may have to move to the Phoenix area. A little pre-research shows that there is emissions testing. I doubt I'd pass as is... I really don't want to throw the cats back, get a re-tune, and go through all that... Is that my only option?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
"In Arizona, almost all vehicles that fall within the most recent five model years are exempt from emissions testing. If you have a reconstructed and special constructed vehicle, this does not apply and you will still require an emissions test." -- Exemptions | myAZcar.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on another forum that if you show up about 15 min prior to close on a Friday, they just OBDII test and done. Not sure if that's still valid. I think I'd require a test to get registered there in the first place.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
My 2015 SS was purchased out-of-state and then registered here. It is 2018 and I have not yet been required to have it tested. I reasonably expect to get the letter from the State in 2020.

Other vehicles in the collection are newer than 2000 but older than 2010. Our other vehicles are tested by plugging something into the OBD-II port under the steering wheel, and some fiddling having to do with the gas cap that I couldn't see from where I was sequestered. I don't recall them messing with anything up the tailpipes like they did back in the Chicagoland area.

For the test, the driver and passengers are required to be in a small booth alongside your vehicle as it is tested, so that you cannot interfere with the operator. I think the euphemism is "the booth is for your safety." They are properly air-conditioned spaces, and for OBD-II-equipped vehicles the test is very fast, a handful of minutes. I spent most of it laboriously filling out the check for the testing fee.

The facilities I have been to do have little mirrors on rollerskate sticks, much like at a border crossing. I did not see any of them in use the times I have been there, but it might be that they only deploy them if something doesn't sound right. I suspect a fair amount is left to the discretion of the operators.

One does not need to own the vehicle to have it tested. It is increasingly common for prospective purchasers of used cars to route their test drives into the emissions lane, so they can decide if there are any reasons why they wouldn't want that particular car.

As to the wisdom of trying to hit the lane at closing on Friday... I don't know. Human nature what it is, I would think that going at the end of the month when the lanes are crazy full of procrastinators might work better. And ideally, line up behind a V8 Camaro, Mustang, or Charger so that the noise level of yours isn't such a huge jump from the previous vehicle.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Just had a 97 Tahoe checked 2 weeks ago. For the OBDII (96+, under 8500GVWR) they just plug in and check the gas cap. I've never seen them pop a hood or do a visual inspection on those vehicles. As long as your cap is good and you don't have an SES light lit up on the dash you should be fine. Being 96+ you can use any lane, even the commercial/heavy vehicle lanes if they're open and they'll still test you the same. Most people see the lanes marked OBDII and think they have to go there. Go to the shortest line.

Reactions: LAG

·
Registered
301 Posts
As stated before you do not have to worry about it until it is 5 years old.
Then you will be busted and have to fix it or sell it.
I have met several people that have modified their car that intend on dumping it to some one that does not know the difference once it is 5 years old.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My G8 goes through emissions without an issue. I highly doubt it will be a problem for you.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Just remember, you get more than one test. So if you fail the first time, there's a couple of software guys out of work over in Germany that could probably make John Force's funny cars pass emissions. :devil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts