Chevy SS Forum banner

Have you had to replace your battery yet?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had an exceptionally long life from their factory battery? I'm still running the original battery in my 2014. I've never had a car battery last seven years, and although just posting this ensures that my battery will be dead soon, I am really impressed and wondering if my experience here is unusually good or if the batteries these days are that much better than they used to be.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
G8 GT battery died after 4.5 years at first Apartment in Oil Fields away from home, garage, and most tools about 250-miles away. Replaced SS battery after nearly 6-years at dealer before it died out of caution since I commute between NM and GA now.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
3 years and mine was done. I'm used to 12+ years out of the Panasonic batteries that come in new Toyotas, so I would say battery life sucks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Miatas have this luxury too.......

Reactions: wilkin4 and ESindon

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,146 Posts
Mine lasted the whole 6 1/2 years that I had it.

Reactions: Brass and wilkin4

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I wonder if time in shipping from OZ and sitting on a dealer lot make a difference in battery life. My car was in “Seat belt recall jail” on the dealer lot for 3 months after it arrived, but mine on Oct 23 2016 and it has it’s issue battery still. I may only drive once a month, but that will be a 200 to 1000 mile drive. 75,000 miles now

·
Registered
340 Posts
My battery failed after 3 years. My 2015 was delivered 87 days after its manufacture date, assuming GM-provided information is correct. For 35 of those days the car was on the ship. Granted that the battery was in "transport mode" for much of that time. The problem is that my car is not driven much, and that the rest load is somewhat higher than other cars (presumably to accommodate the remote key fob). Lead acid batteries experience both self-discharge and sulfation. Sulfation is the formation of lead sulfate on the negative plates, which increasingly occurs when the car is not driven much. In my case once every week or once in two weeks. The lead sulfate is initially in the form of small particles, but with time forms into a more solid plating which prevents lead ions from participating in the recharge process. The result is diminished storage capacity and reduced voltage at "full" charge. I had been recharging the original battery at some, probably too long intervals.
Since the failure occurred at an inconvenient time, I set aside my prior resolution to never purchase another parts store battery and did so again. This battery lasted little more than a year, at which time it was replaced by a store warranty replacement of the same battery. I have been more diligent in periodically recharging this battery than previously, but the COVID pandemic has had me driving the car even less. The result is the parts store battery is failing again, down to 11.4 volts at "full" charge. The car still starts, but is not happy about it and the battery is being recharged every 4 weeks.
At this point I have decided that a change in chemistry is required. I have had good luck with my motorcycles switching to LiFePO4 batteries (Shorai brand). Lithium Iron Phosphate does not sulfate (obviously), and self-discharge is much less. The battery is still vulnerable to over-discharge due to rest electrical load - which is not zero on modern motorcycles. Some diligence is needed to keep these batteries sufficiently charged, since once voltage gets below about 9.5 volts the battery becomes a brick. I recently became aware of Antigravity batteries, a company that sells LiFePO4 batteries in car sizes, including our H6 size. This company started out in motorcycle-sized batteries, followed by race car batteries featuring large weight reductions. Porsche owners are big fans, as the GT3 cars are also not driven much. Antigravity has now incorporated features that should make LiFePO4 batteries more idiot proof: an internal switch disconnects the battery if rest voltage falls below 11.5 V (full charge is 14.2 V), with a fob that re-connects the battery for "one more start". There is also a condition monitor that works with a smart phone app to communicate information such as state of charge, with an alert when the battery needs re-charging. Various capacities are offered from 20 Ah to 60 Ah; the smaller numbers for racers who want the lightest battery and the higher numbers for those who want the longest inactive duration. I have ordered one of these batteries but not installed it yet. I will provide a use report when I have some experience. Drawbacks are (1) little actual field experience; (2) fairly pricey; and (3) 100% made in China.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The original battery is still in use in our 2015, 6 1/2 + years after picking the car up at the dealer when it was new. Due to COVID, the SS has not been driven much over the last couple of years. For the last 4 years, I've been using a CTEK MULTI US 7002 charger that incorporates a desulphation cycle each time the charger is connected to the battery circuit in the car. If the car is not driven for a week, I connect up the charger until I drive it again.

I tend to agree with the comments above that having the battery in the trunk probably helps significantly to extend the battery life. I live in Kansas where summer temperatures usually exceed 100 F for a number of days (weeks/months?) each year, so underhood temperatures tend to be very high with the engine and A/C generating a lot of heat. In our other vehicles where the battery is in the engine compartment, I can't remember getting more than 5 years life with standard lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Still on my original coming up on 6 years, still tests solid. My original GXP battery lasted about 5 years and the diehard replacement is still going strong at 7+ years although I will replace soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2015 SS 6M stored in Michigan winters. Have it on a trickle charger with desulfation all winter and most times it goes more than a week without being driven. Short shopping trips at least once a week and it is the car we use for longer trips, as it is comfortable and I only put about 6,000 miles per year anyway. No trouble yet.....

Reactions: Brass

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
5-1/2 years on mine. Still functional but electrical gremlins popping up. Only gremlin since,was just a couple days ago. Radio turned itself off.

·
Premium Member
2015 Manual with no roof and no spare
178 Posts
2015 6M still on original battery but I can’t see it going another winter after this post lol. Car sits in transport mode from November until April and has with the exception of a dead fob battery (long and funny story) started every spring.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
2015 with 67k. Original owner with the original battery. I keep the car in the garage and rarely drive in colder weather, which probably helps extend the life a bit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great point on the battery in the trunk extending its life. At nearly five years, the SS's battery has lasted longer than any other that I recall. Four years is usually max life.

Sidebar: Two days ago I finally figured out the cause of the thumpping noises coming from the rear when going over bumps and such. It was driving me mildly nuts causing me to inspect the suspension, fuss around with the trunk well and cover, etc. There's a plastic stiffener around the battery access opening and it was bumping against the battery. Some sponge pieces and double-sided sticky tape and problem solved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My daughters 14 is still chugging….

Reactions: Buffaloheron15
1 - 20 of 41 Posts