Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2014 Chevrolet SS SIM
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to church this morning, I noticed that my passenger seat was telling me that the seatbelt wasn't buckled and the passenger airbag light was on. The seatbelt warning eventually went away, but the passenger airbag stayed on.

When I left church, the passenger airbag light was OFF, but after I started driving, it turned back on.

Could my occupancy sensor be going bad? If so, are they still available and how hard are they to replace? Do I have to worry about the airbags going off if I do?

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Mine came on from an umbrella sun visor that never did before. I remembered someone posted jumping up and down clearing a warning. I pounded on the seat and it hasn't returned. The passenger seat is rarely used, I drive alone...!

· Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
Mine came on from an umbrella sun visor that never did before. I remembered someone posted jumping up and down clearing a warning. I pounded on the seat and it hasn't returned. The passenger seat is rarely used, I drive alone...!
Yeah, you know when I drive alone, I prefer to be by myself.

· Registered
588 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I had a few small things on the seat. I moved them to the floor. It did it the next day. With nothing on the seat. I then slapped and pounded the seat cushion. Its done itone more time in The past 3 months.
Also it could be battery related. As they get old wehave alot of gremlins creep up. Mine is 8 years old this month

· Registered
4 Posts
Back when I had a G8, my passenger seat sensor went bad. Air bag light came on. It was fairly easy to replace though. Only drag is you needed a GM Tech2 scanner to recalibrate the new sensor. Not sure if it's as common with the SS though.

· Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
Back when I had a G8, my passenger seat sensor went bad. Air bag light came on. It was fairly easy to replace though. Only drag is you needed a GM Tech2 scanner to recalibrate the new sensor. Not sure if it's as common with the SS though.
Welcome to the forum @Milner49 . Both availability and price are the issues with the SS passenger seat occupant sensor. I believe it to be available again after many months or even a year or two of unavailability, but the price isn't very consumer friendly of course. The good news is the fact that it seems to fail in the "occupied" status rather than the opposite. If it happens to me I will try the "We're all going to Vegas!" punchline, followed by a seatbelt "extender" clip from fleabay to shut off the passenger side seatbelt warning light. If I hit or am hit hard enough to set off the airbags, there are more than a few parts forward of those bags that are unobtainium anyway and the passenger side airbag going off for an empty seat probably won't be the insurance company's tipping point.

· Registered
4 Posts
On the way to church this morning, I noticed that my passenger seat was telling me that the seatbelt wasn't buckled and the passenger airbag light was on. The seatbelt warning eventually went away, but the passenger airbag stayed on.

When I left church, the passenger airbag light was OFF, but after I started driving, it turned back on.

Could my occupancy sensor be going bad? If so, are they still available and how hard are they to replace? Do I have to worry about the airbags going off if I do?
---------------------------------------

I had that same thing with my 2014 SS. It is indeed the occupant sensor under the front passenger seat. It is fairly easy to replace yourself. Just slide the front passenger seat to the full forward position, tilt the seatback forward, and there it is, staring you right in the face. The sensor will cost $250 or more, depending on where you get it. DO NOT GET A CHEAP KNOCKOFF, OR YOU WILL WIND UP WITH THE DRIVER'S SIDE AIRBAG IN YOUR FACE WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!

If you take it to a dealer, make sure you take your birth control pills first. They will run a "comprehensive" test to charge you $156 to tell you what I just did. Then they will sell you the part for $400+ bucks, plus hit you for 2 hours (minimum) labor to do a job that you can do yourself in under 10 minutes. I did mine in 5 and didn't even look at the manual.

Good luck!

PS. you can shut the airbag warning off by moving the seat partially forward off of the full back position and moving the seatback upright. You can cancel the annoying seatbelt dinger by simply plugging the seatbelt into the clip.

BEFORE you waste time and money on a new sensor, reach under the front passenger seat and check the airbag wiring harness plug. You would be surprised at how often these get knocked loose by feet or stuff on the floor or just by the seat traveling back and forth thousands of times. Grab the back of the plug nearest you and wiggle it back and forth while pushing it back in. Then start your car again and see if that fixed the problem.
Hood Automotive tire Purple Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Registered
231 Posts

Yep that’s a $1500 sensor if it’s still available. I’d just keep the passenger seatbelt buckled. Or unplug it and get an airbag light.

· Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: good2go

· Registered
1,055 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts