Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing more and more threads where people are looking for body parts due to a minor fender bender or mishap. It seems that the most common body repair parts (fenders, bumpers, hood, trunk, grille, etc.) can't be found which is causing insurance companies to total these cars.

For older classic cars, there are many aftermarket shops where sourcing these types of parts are not a problem, even for a 50 year old car. Knowing that the SS is still pretty new, is there any hope that aftermarket parts might be produced for the SS at some point down the road? If so, how soon? Thoughts?

· Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Part of the problem is the fact that on one hand OEM has become difficult or impossible to find as those parts become unavailable or discontinued entirely, yet at the same time you are offered a core charge by the manufacturer of the parts, to ensure that aftermarket parts aren't developed or the parts aren't reconditioned, so that you'll only buy OEM, which isn't available. :unsure:

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What has happened with the G8 could give us some clues. Has the after market become a source of discontinued parts for this car and/or the earlier GTO?
I did a quick search and carparts.com actually shows body parts available for the G8.

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of the problem is the fact that on one hand OEM has become difficult or impossible to find as those parts become unavailable or discontinued entirely, yet at the same time you are offered a core charge by the manufacturer of the parts, to ensure that aftermarket parts aren't developed or the parts aren't reconditioned, so that you'll only buy OEM, which isn't available. :unsure:
Is there anything that prevents an aftermarket company from making body parts, such as a patent, royalty or something like that?? If not, then I am hopeful that sooner rather than later, these companies will see the growing market need for them.

· Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Is there anything that prevents an aftermarket company from making body parts, such as a patent, royalty or something like that?? If not, then I am hopeful that sooner rather than later, these companies will see the growing market need for them.
I can't answer your question, but do hold less hope than you regarding aftermarket availability. Unfortunately the market isn't actually growing, it is slowly shrinking as the maximum of roughly 12,900 cars slowly shrinks due to attrition, to a number less appealing everyday to those who would incur the costs associated with tooling and setup for parts that over time will become an afterthought for all but a few of us.

· Premium Member
876 Posts
Auto manufacturers often sell the out of production body panel stamping dies and plastic bumper molds to aftermarket production companies, so it's only a matter of time - although the quality standard is not the same as the dies tend to need maintenance after so many parts are made. They sold more than 100k VF Commodores in Australia during its entire production run.

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
There are a few panels showing up marketed as aftermarket. Unfortunately they are in Australia. I priced the front wheel liners last week. That was GM stateside, shipping costs more than parts. So on that note the stuff from Australia is actually competitive. I just have been steadily collecting bits in case of the very bad day. And also working on driving a little more defensively lest my own stupidity kills Pearl...!

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a few panels showing up marketed as aftermarket. Unfortunately they are in Australia. I priced the front wheel liners last week. That was GM stateside, shipping costs more than parts. So on that note the stuff from Australia is actually competitive. I just have been steadily collecting bits in case of the very bad day. And also working on driving a little more defensively lest my own stupidity kills Pearl...!
OK. So this is starting to sound a little better as far as future state goes.

· Registered
362 Posts
Another factor that may be in play here is that Holden was up and running after the G8 and GTO models went out of production, which may have helped replacement parts availability. But we also need to recognize that the SS (as were the G8 and GTO before them) are a small part of the Holden Commodore total production, which will result in the replacement parts business being largely based in Australia reflecting local demand for parts. Whiteline is based in Australia, and it gets its parts up to the U.S. fairly efficiently. Of course Whiteline's main focus for its non-SS parts business is cars that are/were sold in Australia. Ultimately shipping cost of large parts such as body panels will be a limitation.

A glance through Hemmings Motor News will show that just about every part for popular cars manufactured during the past 100 years is either now available as reproductions or refurbished original parts. And at somewhat reasonable prices. China is making most of the reproduction sheet metal of "good-enough" quality, and this includes Taiwan. Even super low volume parts, such as headlight motor/gearboxes for mid-year Corvettes are available as reproductions made in China at prices not too much higher than the cost of refurbished original parts. So what we need are cottage industry entrepreneurs who can identify what parts are in demand and have connections in China to have them made. It would be strange if this same business model were not already alive and well in Australia for Holdens. Is there a Hemmings equivalent in Australia?

· Premium Member
312 Posts
Another factor that may be in play here is that Holden was up and running after the G8 and GTO models went out of production, which may have helped replacement parts availability. But we also need to recognize that the SS (as were the G8 and GTO before them) are a small part of the Holden Commodore total production, which will result in the replacement parts business being largely based in Australia reflecting local demand for parts. Whiteline is based in Australia, and it gets its parts up to the U.S. fairly efficiently. Of course Whiteline's main focus for its non-SS parts business is cars that are/were sold in Australia. Ultimately shipping cost of large parts such as body panels will be a limitation.

A glance through Hemmings Motor News will show that just about every part for popular cars manufactured during the past 100 years is either now available as reproductions or refurbished original parts. And at somewhat reasonable prices. China is making most of the reproduction sheet metal of "good-enough" quality, and this includes Taiwan. Even super low volume parts, such as headlight motor/gearboxes for mid-year Corvettes are available as reproductions made in China at prices not too much higher than the cost of refurbished original parts. So what we need are cottage industry entrepreneurs who can identify what parts are in demand and have connections in China to have them made. It would be strange if this same business model were not already alive and well in Australia for Holdens. Is there a Hemmings equivalent in Australia?
Yes - Rare Spares - they will eventually source your reproduction parts https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/

· Registered
807 Posts
where do you think those tools n dies all went from the Holden Factory...they went right to China !! , and you will soonly see a sleek looking understated Chinese 4 door with a crappy little 1.2L motor called the Xi Xi in about 2-3 years......

• Sad
Reactions: SS WOT and ESindon

· Premium Member
865 Posts
I don't know why anyone would invest in producing aftermarket parts in the US for a car that produced less than 13,000 units. Now at least 20%-30% of those have been wrecked. There would be no ROI.

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whiteline is based in Australia, and it gets its parts up to the U.S. fairly efficiently. Of course Whiteline's main focus for its non-SS parts business is cars that are/were sold in Australia. Ultimately shipping cost of large parts such as body panels will be a limitation.
I just got on their website, but didn't see any body parts. Do they have those? If not, where are people sourcing those parts from or are they just totally not available at the moment?

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a link for a company named Sydney Special Vehicles (SSV). It looks like they have front fenders, hood, mirrors and some body trim for the VF Commodore. Correct me if I am wrong, but these body parts are the same as our SS, correct??

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is another link for a company named Sterling Parts. They have even more. Front fenders, front bumper / insert, hood, grille molding, mirrors and more. It seems that this is what you need to repair front end damage. Am I missing something? Shouldn't these parts fit the SS??

· Registered
618 Posts
I'm a bit amazed that (at least) one of the folks on here with 3-D printing equipment and skill has not undertaken making something like the cowl insert piece. A number of members here have been jonesing for a replacement for damaged pieces like that for quite a while.
Is "3-D printing" of parts like feasible? I dunno...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts