Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Parking brakes that, when set, will prevent the car from rolling forward but not when rolling backward usually need a little more preload on the shoes
Umm... no. Parking brakes should keep a car from rolling forward or backward. Otherwise it's not a good parking brake. Never had a parking brake before that couldn't do both.
Ok I read it again. I don't see what I'm missing.

If he or anyone takes offense to the statement I said, I don't know what say.
He didn't say that your parking brake should only work in one direction, he said if it isn't working when rolling backward it usually needs a little more preload.

The only one offended was probably me, the "Umm... no." was a surprising response to someone trying to help you.

Hope you get the issue resolved.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also interested in a fix, so would be glad of that info from the service manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
He didn't say that your parking brake should only work in one direction, he said if it isn't working when rolling backward it usually needs a little more preload.

The only one offended was probably me, the "Umm... no." was a surprising response to someone trying to help you.

Hope you get the issue resolved.
I was coming from the standpoint that when a parking brake is "set", as in "it works", the necessary preloads have been done. So the statement came off a little weird to me.

Communicating over the internet is kinda hard. I typically have a very direct way of communicating; but when I talk to people in person, the inflection(s) in my voice mitigate that and help reveal my dry sense of humor (or at least that I don't mean any offence in a statement I make). I can see how the "Umm... no" could be misinterpreted. I will try to adjust. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I feel your pain coolbeans. I set mine in the garage and didn't leave it in gear when I parked. Next thing I know its rolling back and as the garage door came down it dinged by bumper. It ruined my day real fast.... Mine does work fine generally but sometimes if I pull it up quickly it doesn't seem to set. I wish it had a handbrake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I feel your pain coolbeans. I set mine in the garage and didn't leave it in gear when I parked. Next thing I know its rolling back and as the garage door came down it dinged by bumper. It ruined my day real fast.... Mine does work fine generally but sometimes if I pull it up quickly it doesn't seem to set. I wish it had a handbrake.
Oooo OUCH! Yeah that sucks. I would definitely be cool with a good ol'-fashioned handbrake too.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,593 Posts
Umm... no. Parking brakes should keep a car from rolling forward or backward. Otherwise it's not a good parking brake. Never had a parking brake before that couldn't do both.
Those of us old enough to remember know that "shoe brakes", usually are "self enegizing" toward forward motion by having a primary(shorter) shoe and a secondary(longer) shoe, or a thicker/thinner shoe. But, I don't know which applies to the SS. I can say that my Cadillac has the same setup, with no issues yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Those of us old enough to remember know that "shoe brakes", usually are "self enegizing" toward forward motion by having a primary(shorter) shoe and a secondary(longer) shoe, or a thicker/thinner shoe. But, I don't know which applies to the SS. I can say that my Cadillac has the same setup, with no issues yet.
It's hard to remember off the top of my head, but I believe when I changed out the shoes a while back they looked symmetrical (as in both pads looked the same on the otherwise symmetrical looking shoe bracket). But I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
My wife's Equinox does as well, which is why I don't see this to be a "rare/import" type of issue. While they may differ slightly in execution or design, form and function is probably quite similar across the GM platform, at least enough for trained individuals to be able to diagnose and correct at a dealership.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My wife's Equinox does as well, which is why I don't see this to be a "rare/import" type of issue. While they may differ slightly in execution or design, form and function is probably quite similar across the GM platform, at least enough for trained individuals to be able to diagnose and correct at a dealership.
Well, it's definitely possible that I've just fallen victim (so far) to having ignorant/unqualified mechanics (including myself) address the issue and it's just a matter of getting someone who knows what the heck they're doing to have a look. shrugs

·
Registered
587 Posts
You know its bad when you need a service manual addendum for the info on how to use the service manual.... Hey even my company is brutal on Serv Manuals, we will provide an Op Man, an IPB for no charge, but we sell the SM for a pretty penny - heck our field service techs charge 2 hour minimum at $440+ .

If these contraptions are truly similar across GM vehicles (they may be, I may have assumed rarity since its down under and nothing else matches other GMs.....) my one point to the OP would be that the dealer should than be 100% successful every attempt because they see it alot / do it alot. I feel the #1 reason for stupid dealer actions is the rarity of this car.....followed by rarity of brains in the service department, which really seems to run a close #2 according to many of the forum members.

Great to see CeeBz pop back in!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
What I was saying is that when drum brake shoes don’t have the proper interference-fit with the drum (ie, not adjusted OUT far enough with the shoe adjusters), they often will work fine when the car is rolling forward but will not work as well when the car is rolling backward. I speak from much experience with having had a 1967 Camaro with manual four-wheel drum brakes for 25+ years.

Since the parking brake on the SS is a small, mechanical drum brake setup in the rear rotor hats, it could just be that your parking brake shoes need to be adjusted OUT further so there is less clearance between the drum part of the rotor hat and the shoes. What I don’t know off the top of my head is if the parking brake shoes on these cars have a mechanical star-wheel adjuster to set this clearance or not. I will find out this weekend when I return to where my service manual is located.

Regardless, this problem sure sounds to me like an adjustment issue, and not a failure in the actual parking brake module itself (which would be a good thing since you have to drop the rear subframe to replace it).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had an isolated similar issue with mine once, too. Had set the parking brake with the car idling in the driveway. Went to take our trash can back up from the curb, and when I turned around, the car was rolling down the driveway. Rolled across the street and over a curb, missing a tree by about 6 inches but going through a pile of brush. Luckily no damage that didn’t easily buff out. When I got in the car after it quit rolling, the parking brake was no longer set. No codes or issues present in GDS2 after this event.

So, I too have been a victim of a parking brake that was set but somehow spontaneously released about 45 seconds later when I wasn’t in the car. I’ve never had any issues with the parking brake not sufficiently holding the car from rolling in either direction though.

Reactions: 41AH24

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What I was saying is that when drum brake shoes don’t have the proper interference-fit with the drum (ie, not adjusted OUT far enough with the shoe adjusters), they often will work fine when the car is rolling forward but will not work as well when the car is rolling backward. I speak from much experience with having had a 1967 Camaro with manual four-wheel drum brakes for 25+ years.

Since the parking brake on the SS is a small, mechanical drum brake setup in the rear rotor hats, it could just be that your parking brake shoes need to be adjusted OUT further so there is less clearance between the drum part of the rotor hat and the shoes. What I don’t know off the top of my head is if the parking brake shoes on these cars have a mechanical star-wheel adjuster to set this clearance or not. I will find out this weekend when I return to where my service manual is located.

Regardless, this problem sure sounds to me like an adjustment issue, and not a failure in the actual parking brake module itself (which would be a good thing since you have to drop the rear subframe to replace it).
I agree, by all reason it seems like we should only be dealing with an adjustment issue; which is why it's frustrating to still be dealing with it after everything.

Also just going off memory, I do believe there is a star-wheel adjuster that you speak of but not fully sure. If so, wouldn't that have been taken into account and possibly adjusted by the mechanics that previously adjusted it? Are there multiple points of adjustment and one or more of them possibly was missed?

I'll be interested in what else you find. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I agree with you there. And all this tech starts making WTF decisions for me. The constant fresh air flow completely fogs windshield on humid morning. And before i see recirc... "Doesn't work". This pack of old farts loves to get you goat.
😉
I wasn't arguing against the importance of the service manual. In fact I agree it's probably worth all 400 dollars; especially if you plan to do most/all of your car service/repairs yourself. I was mostly just ranting about the reason(s) a person should need one shouldn't be because of a bunch of stupid issues that should be non-issues in the first place. Issues that only arise because good design and engineering work has been thrown out the window to make way for what's cool and trendy. As you can tell, this is a bit of a sore issue for me. I'm not impressed with the execution of much of the modern day car tech. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Reactions: COOLBEANSS

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts

I had this same scenario early on, CB750 beat it into me to slow down a bit and watch of the brake light to come on. I still pull it up too quickly at times then realize it did nothing so I have to pull up a second time for the brake to set and the light to come on.

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
I had this same scenario early on, CB750 beat it into me to slow down a bit and watch of the brake light to come on. I still pull it up too quickly at times then realize it did nothing so I have to pull up a second time for the brake to set and the light to come on.
I always turn everything off and listen for the parking brake control module to wind down as it engages the brake, and then pull it and listen to it again for good measure.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I always turn everything off and listen for the parking brake control module to wind down as it engages the brake, and then pull it and listen to it again for good measure.
Same here. Sometimes I’ll even go back in after I’ve exited the car and pull it again just for extra good measure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, by all reason it seems like we should only be dealing with an adjustment issue; which is why it's frustrating to still be dealing with it after everything.

Also just going off memory, I do believe there is a star-wheel adjuster that you speak of but not fully sure. If so, wouldn't that have been taken into account and possibly adjusted by the mechanics that previously adjusted it? Are there multiple points of adjustment and one or more of them possibly was missed?

I'll be interested in what else you find. Thanks.
Here are the pertinent troubleshooting charts, the procedure for adjusting the shoes, and the required procedure for releasing the cable tension and recalibration of the cable tension PRIOR and AFTER adjusting the shoes. Given the “complexity” of this process requiring cable tension release prior to adjusting as well as the narrow spec for shoe adjustment width, I’m guessing that you have been the victim of inadequate detail-orientation at the shops that have worked on this issue for you.

If you need scans of other areas of the parking brake system procedures (cable replacement, etc) then let me know. There are also a lot of different diagnostic procedures for various DTCs associated with the park brake system if you have access to a GDS2 to pull those codes. I can scan those if you have the ability to pull the codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
@COOLBEANSS

good to see you on the forum! I was wondering if you were still around. Sorry to hear about your issues. If you haven't resolved your issue yet, try Ed Bozarths over here in Topeka. They seem to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@COOLBEANSS

good to see you on the forum! I was wondering if you were still around. Sorry to hear about your issues. If you haven't resolved your issue yet, try Ed Bozarths over here in Topeka. They seem to know what they are doing.
I’ll definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip! That’s probably the closest dealership option for me outside of Lawrence.

Let me know if/when you ever hold another SS meet-up! Cheers!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts