Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Every Manual that I have had had the pull hand brake and I used that all the time on steep hills to give me time to engage the clutch without the car rolling. This M6 is the first car I had with an E Brake and I would much rather have the pull handle style to help clutch engagement on steep hills. Somebody posted the one thing they hate was the steering wheel. The one thing I hate is not having a manual hand brake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Sorry, I'm not paying $400 to get a service manual just because car manufactures have their heads up their a$$ and can't even put reasonable and reliable tech in their vehicles because they're overly concerned with how cool and trendy it is rather than how useful and practical it is. i.e., thermostat based climate control (which doesn't work worth a darn), touch screens (which are unsafe and harder to use), rain sensing wipers (that always get it wrong), and ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKES (That just plain suck!) .... just to name a few. Cheers!

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,592 Posts
But, you love your car, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm about to lose my $hit with this horrible parking brake. I've owned my 2015 SS (manual) for just over 4 years now and I've struggled with the parking brake the entire time. I just cannot get it to hold the car from rolling when applied. When I first got the car, it held fine. But over a short period of time it began to loosen up more and more until it wasn't holding anymore. Since then, it has been to the dealership at least twice for the issue, I changed the shoes out myself about a year ago, and most recently I took it to a car shop to have it looked at again. They said they performed both adjustments (mechanical/computer) and that it worked. Well, when I got home, I quickly found out that wasn't true. No difference at all (won't be going there again).

Every time I get it "working", it only works for a short period of time before it won't hold anymore. And like I already mentioned, this last attempt didn't really fix the problem at all.

This is a pretty big issue and completely unacceptable on a manual transmission car. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know what I could be dealing with?? I've been tempted to just get rid of the darn thing just because of this one thing alone. Ugh.
I also have this problem (owned the car from 67k till now 92k). Very annoying, usually I can get it to grab if I re-apply it or sometimes by tapping the brakes when it rolls back. It is also much worse when the brakes are hot, although it isn't as big of a deal since you really shouldn't be setting the parking brake when they are that hot for fear of warping.
Man I wish they just had a plain old mechanical handle, so much more satisfying to set as well.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,592 Posts
The only problem I had with mine was that it would NOT release sometimes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I also have this problem (owned the car from 67k till now 92k). Very annoying, usually I can get it to grab if I re-apply it or sometimes by tapping the brakes when it rolls back. It is also much worse when the brakes are hot, although it isn't as big of a deal since you really shouldn't be setting the parking brake when they are that hot for fear of warping.
Man I wish they just had a plain old mechanical handle, so much more satisfying to set as well.
Well, at least I finally found one other person who shares my pain.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry, I'm not paying $400 to get a service manual just because car manufactures have their heads up their a$$ and can't even put reasonable and reliable tech in their vehicles because they're overly concerned with how cool and trendy it is rather than how useful and practical it is. i.e., thermostat based climate control (which doesn't work worth a darn), touch screens (which are unsafe and harder to use), rain sensing wipers (that always get it wrong), and ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKES (That just plain suck!) .... just to name a few. Cheers!

The manual has the proper procedures on how to diagnose and service your vehicle. Yes $400.00 is high. But failing to follow certain repair procedures can cost you more than $400.00. I could tell you and everyone here a "personal" story why we should have a copy of the service manual. After all you stated it by opening this topic....

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,592 Posts
The manual has the proper procedures on how to diagnose and service your vehicle. Yes $400.00 is high. But failing to follow certain repair procedures can cost you more than $400.00. I could tell you and everyone here a "personal" story why we should have a copy of the service manual. After all you stated it by opening this topic....
I agree, totally. Certain things on our cars are really "procedural nightmares" to repair properly. I always purchased or at least have access to a FRM, even if I don't work on the car myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, at least I finally found one other person who shares my pain.
Count me in as the 2nd person. I had an independent shop perform a brake job. The parking brake still didn’t hold on a hill and would easily roll backwards after this service. I took it back and they figured out how to adjust. It has worked now for a couple years without any problem. I agree it is frustrating.

·
Registered
2016 Stock - Sunroof, Inflator, Manual Trans and Brake Squeal
91 Posts
I was under the impression that the parking brake uses inner brake shoes on the rotor and the hill hold uses the accumulated pressure on the outer caliper.

A misadjustment on the parking brake has no effect on the actual brakes.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I know when I test drove my SS, it was setting on a small hill facing down at the Chevy dealer, they tossed me the key fob and said have fun. Took me 15mins to release the emergency brake, with multiple attempts. I had to get the Owners manual out and read, but I was doing it right, it was just hard to release. Since I am in Florida, and an automatic, haven't use the E brake since....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was under the impression that the parking brake uses inner brake shoes on the rotor and the hill hold uses the accumulated pressure on the outer caliper.

A misadjustment on the parking brake has no effect on the actual brakes.
That’s correct. The hill-hold system uses the hydraulic system and ABS to maintain accumulated hydraulic pressure on the rotors.

The parking brake is a separate, purely mechanical system. It’s likely the parking brake shoes that are out of adjustment. Parking brakes that, when set, will prevent the car from rolling forward but not when rolling backward usually need a little more preload on the shoes

I have the printed service manual at home. Out of town currently but will look at it this weekend to see if I can give you info on how to properly adjust it.

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Same, the parking brake.
That’s correct. The hill-hold system uses the hydraulic system and ABS to maintain accumulated hydraulic pressure on the rotors.

The parking brake is a separate, purely mechanical system. It’s likely the parking brake shoes that are out of adjustment. Parking brakes that, when set, will prevent the car from rolling forward but not when rolling backward usually need a little more preload on the shoes

I have the printed service manual at home. Out of town currently but will look at it this weekend to see if I can give you info on how to properly adjust it.
I stand corrected, and appreciate the information.

Nice of you to offer assistance from the service manual @jrt67ss350 , people join forums for assistance like this, we (and they) appreciate it. 👍

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I wasn't arguing against the importance of the service manual. In fact I agree it's probably worth all 400 dollars; especially if you plan to do most/all of your car service/repairs yourself. I was mostly just ranting about the reason(s) a person should need one shouldn't be because of a bunch of stupid issues that should be non-issues in the first place. Issues that only arise because good design and engineering work has been thrown out the window to make way for what's cool and trendy. As you can tell, this is a bit of a sore issue for me. I'm not impressed with the execution of much of the modern day car tech. Do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
....Parking brakes that, when set, will prevent the car from rolling forward but not when rolling backward usually need a little more preload on the shoes
Umm... no. Parking brakes should keep a car from rolling forward or backward. Otherwise it's not a good parking brake. Never had a parking brake before that couldn't do both.

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Umm... no. Parking brakes should keep a car from rolling forward or backward. Otherwise it's not a good parking brake. Never had a parking brake before that couldn't do both.
Read the portion of his post that you quoted again, as you may have missed the second half of the statement, and consider thanking him for offering to look at the service manual, if he still chooses to do so.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Read the portion of his post that you quoted again, as you may have missed the second half of the statement, and consider thanking him for offering to look at the service manual, if he still chooses to do so.
Ok I read it again. I don't see what I'm missing.

If he or anyone takes offense to the statement I said, I don't know what to say. I didn't mean any by it.

And yes, I would definitely thank him for any further info he could give.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts