Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm about to lose my $hit with this horrible parking brake. I've owned my 2015 SS (manual) for just over 4 years now and I've struggled with the parking brake the entire time. I just cannot get it to hold the car from rolling when applied. When I first got the car, it held fine. But over a short period of time it began to loosen up more and more until it wasn't holding anymore. Since then, it has been to the dealership at least twice for the issue, I changed the shoes out myself about a year ago, and most recently I took it to a car shop to have it looked at again. They said they performed both adjustments (mechanical/computer) and that it worked. Well, when I got home, I quickly found out that wasn't true. No difference at all (won't be going there again).

Every time I get it "working", it only works for a short period of time before it won't hold anymore. And like I already mentioned, this last attempt didn't really fix the problem at all.

This is a pretty big issue and completely unacceptable on a manual transmission car. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know what I could be dealing with?? I've been tempted to just get rid of the darn thing just because of this one thing alone. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
I don't have any good answers for you, but would suggest pulling it up twice, as the second time clamps down a bit more. If that doesn't work just park it in gear, there are several that do, never using the brake, and they do just fine.
It sure sounds like you need a different dealership, as many a new ride have similar setups.

Reactions: willy92 and ESindon

·
Registered
897 Posts
Never had an issue with the park brake in either SS I've owned, '15 or '16. I also use the park brake then park in gear as well though.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I’ve never had any issues... have never experienced it letting go or not holding. Like 15SuperSport suggested, I flip the switch about 10 times then once more just to be sure.

Even though I’ve never had issues, I generally don’t trust it and often opt to turn car off in gear vs idling in neutral

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any good answers for you, but would suggest pulling it up twice, as the second time clamps down a bit more. If that doesn't work just park it in gear, there are several that do, never using the brake, and they do just fine.
It sure sounds like you need a different dealership, as many a new ride have similar setups.
As far as my local GM dealership goes, that's a place I will NEVER go back to for other reasons. That's a whole other story for another day. I might try another one somewhere else eventually but that will require me to drive almost an hour in any direction.

I've tried everything in terms of multiple pulls. Sometimes it helps a little but not much. Also, it's probably important to note that it actually holds fairly well if the car wants to roll forward. However it doesn't want to hold at all if the car wants to roll backwards.

I always park in gear with the parking brake on; always have. It's more an issue of having no good way of securing the car from rolling while its running which can be very inconvenient in certain situations. Such as: wife and kids sitting in the car while something requires me to get out of the car for a matter of minutes and it's 100 degrees outside. It'd be nice to leave them in an air-conditioned car but I can't. Or vise-versa and it's 12 degrees out side. (I live in Kansas).

It's really frustrating. I was thinking it had to be some kind of design flaw but if no one else is having this issue it becomes a bigger mystery.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
...It's really frustrating. I was thinking it had to be some kind of design flaw but if no one else is having this issue it becomes a bigger mystery.
Well, if no one else (to this point anyway) is or has had the issue, and the dealership that tried to fix it on multiple occasions was unable to do so, and that dealership/service dept. is so bad you'll never go back, it may not really be that big of a mystery.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
Yes. That works flawlessly. Of course I don't know which braking system holds the car in that situation.
Same, the parking brake.

Reactions: 16PB6MT

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes. That works flawlessly. Of course I don't know which braking system holds the car in that situation.
So that would indicate the actual brake is good but the actuation of your switch isn’t doing the job of putting on the brake. Do you get the red “park” light on the dash when you lift the switch to acti the P brake?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, if no one else (to this point anyway) is or has had the issue, and the dealership that tried to fix it on multiple occasions was unable to do so, and that dealership/service dept. is so bad you'll never go back, it may not really be that big of a mystery.
As my initial comment stated, I've had the dealership (multiple times), myself, and a separate car shop all attempt to address the issue so far.

Same, the parking brake.
The mystery grows...

. . . and if that works, then it means it's working against the car going in reverse. :unsure:
I'm not sure what to say. I'm not making this up.

That being said, I'm still trying to picture these "hills" in Kansas. :whistle:
There are actually a lot of hills in eastern Kansas as it sits right next to Missouri.

So that would indicate the actual brake is good but the actuation of your switch isn’t doing the job of putting on the brake. Do you get the red “park” light on the dash when you lift the switch to acti the P brake?
I do get the "park" light (which also allows me to pop my trunk), and I can hear it actuating.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. I'm not making this up.

There are actually a lot of hills in eastern Kansas as it sits right next to Missouri.
Sorry, I only meant to point out that it is capable of holding in reverse, and the hills comment was a (failed) joke. ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
a dealership is not going to have expertise on a rare import / parking brake system that may only be used on few other vehicles.... the switch (electric) throws a motor that clamps the parking caliper(s). if the Hill control for a M6 actually uses the parking brake to hill hold (I have A6) and you say it always holds well 100% on a hill...... than we can say that the vehicle electronics, the motor, the caliper+pad do work (at least prevent from rolling backwards). It aint much of a parking brake for a heavy sedan.....its surely NOT designed for drifting, and id say it does a poor job of slowing the car in an emergency...hence the term "parking" brake and not "emergency" as it wont work in one..... I understand needing the M6 car to be running, idling, AC pumping.....with confidence it wont roll back or forward. it would be really good to determine if your parking brake works better rolling backwards vs forward. The hill control wont be valid for rolling forward - that never happens! .....unless maybe you try slowly clutch-backing up a decent hill??....does hill control work in a "reversed world" and not let the car roll "forward" down the hill?? (it may not, it may not have the logic). Else - Please keep a simple foldable wheel chock or rock or something in the drivers door pocket for a temporary chock. I'll take a Mystic Green M6 with a weak park brake fer sure, man! (y)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a dealership is not going to have expertise on a rare import / parking brake system that may only be used on few other vehicles.... the switch (electric) throws a motor that clamps the parking caliper(s). if the Hill control for a M6 actually uses the parking brake to hill hold (I have A6) and you say it always holds well 100% on a hill...... than we can say that the vehicle electronics, the motor, the caliper+pad do work (at least prevent from rolling backwards). It aint much of a parking brake for a heavy sedan.....its surely NOT designed for drifting, and id say it does a poor job of slowing the car in an emergency...hence the term "parking" brake and not "emergency" as it wont work in one..... I understand needing the M6 car to be running, idling, AC pumping.....with confidence it wont roll back or forward. it would be really good to determine if your parking brake works better rolling backwards vs forward. The hill control wont be valid for rolling forward - that never happens! .....unless maybe you try slowly clutch-backing up a decent hill??....does hill control work in a "reversed world" and not let the car roll "forward" down the hill?? (it may not, it may not have the logic). Else - Please keep a simple foldable wheel chock or rock or something in the drivers door pocket for a temporary chock. I'll take a Mystic Green M6 with a weak park brake fer sure, man! (y)
Your reasoning is sound and right there with mine. I'm only taking everybody's word that the hill assist uses the parking brake system. If that's true I'm stumped. And I'm not sure if the hill assist works in reverse. Never tried.

The Parking brake does work somewhat moving forward; but not backwards (which is weird). I can put it in 1st and try to drive forward while holding up on the PB switch and it takes a bit to get it to move. However if it's on even a slight incline to make it roll backwards, it goes. Really strange.

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,596 Posts
I think he couldn't stand seeing us bounce around all these ideas and no one giving a solid fact based answer, in other words, he can see that we needed him.

Good to see you CB750!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts