Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the shortage of black trim parts it seems, thinking about having my chrome pieces painted or vinyl wrapped instead (exterior). I am thinking vinyl maybe on window trim and having the front chrome pieces painted given vinyl might not hold up well to road debris on the front.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If done right vinyl will hold just fine up front - plus smaller knicks will "self-heal" dependent on the product - I'd vote for wrap, save your chrome just in case....

Just don't let installer try to "match" PBM color. KPMF has a color called, surprisingly, "Phantom Black Metallic Vinyl Wrap, Item #K75448". Its as close a match as you'll get to painted PBM.

Either way, do it - dechroming this car is a must - looks soooo much better!

Reactions: Dolores and MikeMc

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I agree wrap instead of paint. You can always go back to chrome and you can re-wrap if it get's messed up with chips. I wonder what it would cost to wrap all the chrome. Less than $1K?

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty much no choice given black trim stuff out of stock and when in stock would be the same.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like the wrap. Have used 3M 1080 carbon fiber wrap with good results and their black metallic is a pretty good match for PBM. It holds up well. I put a piece on a wiper arm over 8 years ago and it still looks great.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Just wait for the back trim to come back in stock. It’ll look much better and hold up much longer.
I guess this makes sense. They still produce spare parts for X number of years. The maufacturer is probably thinking, A lot of Aussies have replaced their black trim, but none of them are replacing panels the trim surrounds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had my chrome trim pieces wrapped in black vinyl for the past four and a half years. It looks just as good as the black trim pieces. You can't tell the difference. Everything still looks great with one caveat. Just like you mentioned, the blacked out pieces in the bumper developed some nicks that I just had rewrapped for around a hundred bucks. Everything else still looks great. If you're looking to paint the front bumper ones then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to wrap all the chrome. Less than $1K?
Product cost = approx $110 for enough to do everything
Labor = 4 to 5 hrs for good installer, at whatever rate they're charging
Total cost = No more than $500 - probably less.

I bought black trim package & now front surrounds are chipped & I'm thinking about wrapping them - so yeah, road wear happens, painted or wrapped....

Reactions: Dolores

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was able to find all my front grill pieces on ebay for about $550 including the side vents. The window trim I'm waiting until they get back in stock. And to prevent any more chips and nicks on the front, I am getting the car paint corrected, ceramic coated and the paint protection film to protect everything up front. It's what i would recommend, do it once and never worry about it again

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Not to disagree with those who have weighed in so far, but my wife's 2021 suburban was blacked out at the dealer with a wrap. She's had it about a month now and it's already pulling up in places. Now I get that there are different levels of skill and quality involved but beware of things like car washes and power sprayers if you go that route.

Her truck is now at the dealer for a true black out treatment on the dealers dime because she felt 4600 option shouldn't be lifting and threatened to bring it back every two months for a re wrap. Most places that do wraps only guarantee for one year. I had the truck looked at by a local place and they agreed the job was piss poor despite her use of car washes.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,776 Posts
Back when I owned a Dub, I wanted to eliminate some the chrome glare. The worst part was the trim bezel around the gear selector. The car was already in for window tint so I had them wrap the bezel in black. Unfortunately, when the vinyl began to shrink, the corners split —food for thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wanted to pull the trigger on the wrap, but never did.
There are certain Chrysler products (some of the mid-2000s minivans for sure) that still used the chrome window surrounds but covered them in black wrap on their "sportier" models. You could literally peel it back and there'd be the chrome trim underneath.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i feel as though wrapping depends on installer and material more than it being so much better or worse looking. My car (soon to be sold) was blacked out by a previous owner, buying all the parts. When i own one again, i'll more likely wrap the car than buying piles of parts. Then again, i dont mind the chrome much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts