Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been having this overheating issue. Last time i drove it it started overheating on me just with regular traffic and stopped at redlights but when i hopped on the highway it was good then when i got off the highway it started again. So then i looked if i had coolant and i did and i also changed my thermostat. The old one was still good but still changed it . I need some help trying to figure this overheating issue. Thank you

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
First thing to check is see if your electric fans are coming on, classic symptom.

Start the car with the hood up and let it idle, at some point the electric radiator fans will turn on, if they don't, that's what you need to fix.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
So ive been having this overheating issue. Last time i drove it it started overheating on me just with regular traffic and stopped at redlights but when i hopped on the highway it was good then when i got off the highway it started again. So then i looked if i had coolant and i did and i also changed my thermostat. The old one was still good but still changed it . I need some help trying to figure this overheating issue. Thank you

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You should check your Hoses from the Radiator … Mine was collapsing after they warm up which was restricting my coolant flow ‼‼‼🔥
If that happens you need a new radiator cap, will not usually cause overheating.....

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Yep...a lot of good comments above.

I'd verify the fans and do a visual though ASAP. Last thing you need to do is cook an LS3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Since the 2014-2017 Chevy SS and 2014-2017 Chevy Caprice share the same engine cooling fan controller and cooling fan motors, I'll point out a couple of videos I created for my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. My first issue was that one of the radiator cooling fan motors had failed. It's a well known issue for the Caprice PPV. I replaced both cooling fan motors (about $60 each motor). The cooling fan control module also had a problem with connectivity at some point since part of the connector (engine bay side) had melted a bit. I replaced the connector to make sure it had good connectivity.

To test the fan motors and cooling fan control module, I had been using my Autel MaxiSys MS906 scan tool to turn on the fans and run the speeds from 20% to 90%. I recently reviewed a ThinkDiag Bluetooth Dongle which has a ThinkDiag app for iOS and Android that also had that same capability. I demo that fan motor / control test in my ThinkDiag review video. The ThinkDiag is about $100 (Amazon Prime Day pricing) or $120 normally.

I hope the videos help explain the issues related to the cooling system design used in the Chevy SS and Chevy Caprice PPV.

·
Registered
607 Posts
check the fan circuit, water pump driven by accessory belt/pulley, double check all the things you did do (never hurts).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts