Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
So, parked in the garage I started from a cold engine (90 degrees ambient) and let it run with the rad cap off, watching for coolant flow as the car heated up. Monitored coolant temp sensor via OBDII. At about 190 - 200 degrees I could see steady flow of coolant, fans came on at low speed and temps stabilized at 212 degrees. Actually went down a little when I put the old rad cap on and ran it for a couple more minutes. I will take it for another test drive tomorrow.

Question: There is coolant in the overflow tank but how much (if any) should be “standing” above the radiator core at the fill cap opening???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
10 to 1 it is the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
14,277 Posts
@copacetic1 , now that I finally have mine full there's maybe 3/4 inch of coolant under the cap. The top of the hose neck is just visible. These cars are a real pain in the catoochie to get full when the tech that flushed the system does not follow correct procedure when refilling.
Ask me how I know.
It took me a dozen or more "drive, cool down, open cap, add a few ounces, repeat" until it took almost a gallon before it stabilized.
Mine did it after a flush-fill at the dealer. Got hot, all the bells, lights and sirens went off, got it home and cool enough to check, filled and took it to the dealer. They kept it two days checking everything they could think of with no solution. That's when i started the ritual I mentioned until it finally stays full and has never been hot except that one time just a short time after the flush.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Excellent - Thanks for this Pinetree. So there is zero coolant visible from the fill opening, just the top of the rad core…I’ll put in more to cover but keep below the neck.

I may have the same dealer-induced issue you did and ambient temps are just now getting high enough to cause an issue.

Hard for me to understand dealer service getting basics like this wrong. My dealer also didn’t tighten the oil filter tight enough on its first free oil change (leaked, twice) and also failed to remove the shipping blocks on delivery. I had to point them out to them.

I should have known better…don’t trust, verify.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Is it just me or does the coolant look like mostly water here? Do the dealers use a non-orange mix? The Dexcool Premix (with water) is way more orange than this….

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Agreed. As Pinetree mentioned I topped it off to get the very orange Dexcool above the core while the engine was cold and then ran it until the thermostat opened; at best it’s kinda orange but certainly not what Dexcool premix looks like.

I talked to the service advisor and he said they “only” use Dexcool premix, so I’m wondering if I’m seeing whatever they use to flush it during service and it was never actually filled with coolant??? I could kinda sorta accept not getting it quite full, but this looks like a total miss.

Going out of town for a couple of weeks so I’ll take it back to them to get this resolved, then probably try another dealer from here out.

On the positive, while on hold for the service advisor they had a “commercial” for the Chevy SS Performance Sedan with 415hp and said to “come on down to the dealer to see one today”. No lie.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Do you have a multimeter?

If so, you can sort of test the anti-freeze by measuring the voltage differential:

You put your negative probe to the negative post on the car. You then place the positive probe in the neck of your radiator, making sure that the positive probe touches nothing but the antifreeze.

Make sure the coolant is warm but not HOT. Your readings could be:

0.2 V to 0.5 V - antifreeze is still good
0.5 V to 0.7 V - antifreeze is borderline
0.7 V or greater - antifreeze is unacceptable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Drain that fluid out Cope! It looks like my last Colonoscopy pics! and maybe have a look at the T-stat when its drained and get it all filled (painstakingly) with fresh DexCool. (pure) Water makes a fine cooling medium, better than antifreeze. Antifreeze has alot of buffer to keep the system from scaling, PH balance, etc... so if what you have in the system is just mostly water and weak antifreeze, it should still cool quite well in this non freezing season. if what you have in there is something other than water and antifreeze components perhaps there's precipitation / clogging going on??

Reactions: Patmico
41 - 51 of 51 Posts