Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two previous issues of overheat alarm conditions which have reoccured and remain unresolved Mac Mulkin Chevrolet has again called in GM Tech to have look for the third occurrence this Monday. T.A.C. case is open as well as escalated Customer Care case with senior GM care advisor. Frustrating, disappointing.
Anyone else who has exact problem please comment if they know root cause. Issue is: drive at highway speed, slow down to local road speed, temp Gauge pins to HOT and dash displays engine over heat warning with instruction to idle engine, bells go off and then temp gauge fluctuates wildly up and down. Car never boils over. Thanks all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some times it is just luck. We will see what happens Monday. They have to dig in too a much more significant degree.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Is the radiator hot (may be clogged)? do the fan turn on(disconnected/sensor)?

It could be as simple as a sensor problem. Temp gauge going wild is normally sensor related.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the highway to normal street transition is a stress point on the cooling system. You still have a large amount of heat in the engine and heads coolant passages, but change in air Flo thru radiator, so a cooling system needs to kick on a fan, and thermostat needs to open, water pump speed slows down with engine rpm, but doesn't seem usual cause of erratic behavior. I would be interested in loose electric fan connection, sensor connection, hose and radiator inspection and replace thermostat. Thermostats can be sticky, and they are a cost cut move lately to low cost manufacturers. Other ideas maybe the coolant air vent system. Usually there is a connection point up top with a hose back to the bottle. This is to give air bubbles a way to escape. Sounds like you are possibly making local boiling cause something isn't flowing or fan not cooling, then steam pockets surging through system causing temp fluctuations. This is if sensor is real and good.
I'm not a mechanic. I could be totally wrong in theory and practice of the system.

·
Registered
788 Posts
After going back and re-reading the original post concerning this over-heating problem, it would be hard to call the transition from highway speed down to street speed a "stress point." After all, the outside temp was in the 40's and taking the position his highway speed was say running around 2,000 rpm's down to something where engine speed was then running between 1,000 to 2,000 rpm's would be a stretch to call it working the engine.

They've now replaced both the cap and the sensor and the problem still exists. The OP says there are no visible leaks and that he's only added roughly 1/2 gallon of distilled water. (And I doubt being 1/2 gallon short would cause this extreme of a problem.)

The only other possible thing I can think of would be flow. (The collapsed hose previously mentioned sounds plausible.) I wonder if it's possible the water pump isn't circulating fluid at the rate it should or else some sort of blockage preventing flow other than the thermostat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The OP says there are no visible leaks and that he's only added roughly 1/2 gallon of distilled water. (And I doubt being 1/2 gallon short would cause this extreme of a problem.)

The only other possible thing I can think of would be flow. (The collapsed hose previously mentioned sounds plausible.) I wonder if it's possible the water pump isn't circulating fluid at the rate it should or else some sort of blockage preventing flow other than the thermostat.
This reminds me of a Ford 302 I had with a very similar problem. No leaks, had to add fluids (a little at a time), temp gauge would spike, and I also did not have any heat when I should. Changed the thermostat and checked all of the hoses to no avail. One day I looked the engine over and found one of the weep holes in the water pump barely leaking fluid. Swapped the pump, problem fixed. Turned out to be a bad bearing on the pump not allowing it to flow any water. Hope they get it figured out for you quick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It was mentioned in part 2. Have you temperature gunned the engine when is says its hot to verify its actually getting hot? Any good tech worth his salt should have one in his tool box. Trust me! I have been chasing an overheating machine (Cat D8R) for the past year and it ended up been a bad sending unit and guage.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Blocked radiator, low coolant, I don't think so because the temp would go up but would not come back down due to blocked radiator, low coolant...

Something crazy like the water pump impeller slipping on the shaft, I don't think so; again it would go up but not back down. Even a sketchy fan would not cause the gauge to swing wildly. Temps won't change that fast.

My money is still on electric/electronic cause, with a very outside chance of the thermostat (although a t-stat would not cause a gauge to move "wildly").

I would definitely "heat gun" it next, since you said it didn't boil over or "seem" like it was too hot.

Sender, gauge, or wiring/connection...

Good luck!

Take care.

·
Registered
789 Posts
These cars are normally bullet proof when it comes to heat, as with most cars built in the hottest and driest continent......even the LSA HSV GTS was modified to cope with much more heat than the Camaro.

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts
After two previous issues of overheat alarm conditions which have reoccured and remain unresolved Mac Mulkin Chevrolet has again called in GM Tech to have look for the third occurrence this Monday. T.A.C. case is open as well as escalated Customer Care case with senior GM care advisor. Frustrating, disappointing.
Anyone else who has exact problem please comment if they know root cause. Issue is: drive at highway speed, slow down to local road speed, temp Gauge pins to HOT and dash displays engine over heat warning with instruction to idle engine, bells go off and then temp gauge fluctuates wildly up and down. Car never boils over. Thanks all.
Your situation is the first and only overheat issue except for a bad rad cap if I remember correctly.

You do say that it is not "boiling over"... therefore:

Your issue will be electrical, sensor, computer related and not actually an overheating issue in the end. Very complicated interdependent commingled gremlin here.

Do not mess with it yourself. Let TAC, Holden and the experts deal with it; it is on the front burner.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They will be coming to get it out of my driveway tomorrow morning. They have not been able to reproduce it yet themselves. I have it on video 5 times in the past few days so the frequency in way up. I am hoping it occurs when then drive it the 50 miles back to Mac Mulkin Chevrolet in Nashua. I do not have a way to actually know if the engine in truly hot when this occurs. So I hope they can watch it happen now and determine that. This will drive you crazy, when you are a car guy it makes it worse. Here we are in prime driving season and I don't feel comfortable being able to drive my dam car. Invited to a car show on Monday, cant go, car in shop, trip out of state to see my buddies new vette, can't take my SS next weekend as I have no confidance in my new car. Getting old now real fast. We will see on Monday. Thanks guys. Need dealer and GM to up their game big time now.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Registered
217 Posts
Drive it? Wow. I guess they're not that worried about it. You'd think they would send a tow truck...

Don't worry sir, law of averages says that eventually a semi-competent mechanic will look at it and fix your loose wire connection. I feel for you though.

Most "mechanics" I know are so incompetent they can't even count their nuts twice and get the same number. I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle let alone my car.

You'll probably have your car back (fixed) sooner than you think!

Take care.

·
Super Moderator
7,388 Posts
We're all pulling for you SSLS3MD. I'm sure that what you're going through is quite disheartening. It will get sorted out, and your car will be good to go in the end.

Reactions: KenzSS and CB750

·
Registered
788 Posts
Drive it? Wow. I guess they're not that worried about it. You'd think they would send a tow truck...

Don't worry sir, law of averages says that eventually a semi-competent mechanic will look at it and fix your loose wire connection. I feel for you though.

Most "mechanics" I know are so incompetent they can't even count their nuts twice and get the same number. I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle let alone my car.

You'll probably have your car back (fixed) sooner than you think!

Take care.
Now that is pretty harsh. "Most mechanics are incompetent...." Come on there. Are you saying you wouldn't trust your dealership with your SS if you were unfortunate enough to develop an odd ball problem like this?

Back on the Part 2 posting of this problem I predicted this:
One thing is for sure, the problem will get worse over time - or, you could just let me drive it for awhile and I could get the problem to show up quicker..... :wink:
Odd ball problems like this are very tough on service departments. They have no codes to work with, a problem that only happens occasionally, with just the information from the customer, which many times may only be one of the results.

What many here may not realize is the mechanic is not paid (or paid very little) to spend time troubleshooting a problem like this. When given a work order, a mechanic's paid time is pretty much set and he will have specific steps to follow for that amount of time. Where they make their money is finding ways to finish that process quicker - which is where their experience kicks in. And GM sets the amount of time paid on warranty work like this - the dealership may eat some, but not much - but I certainly wouldn't expect the mechanic to be the one to take the pay cut over an oddball issue, having no procedure to follow and having all the liability of taking it between the eyes with a bad customer survey result. The mechanic is simply going to say "I'll pass on that ticket, thank-you."

I have complete faith this issue will get resolved. While it is interesting trying to figure out what this problem could be, it's not enjoyable seeing it at a customer's loss of use. It would be great if the dealership could give him an SS to use in the meantime, but we all know it wouldn't be the same and likely impossible to do.

All I can say is hang in there SSLS3MD, we're all pulling for ya and know you'll be back in your car soon giving us more great stories to read.

·
Registered
613 Posts
An overheat should store history codes. How many times has this happened?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok finally some progress! They of course were not able to have problem with alarms recreate themselves on the ride into the dealership today BUT GM Tech put car on lift and removed some under Engine panel, found some evidence of small coolant residue, also when they picked my car up from my home they had to add coolant, further investigation showed hose disconnected from coolant overflow reservior. Not are if where it went from and to. I have not seen car while in shop so I cannot describe what they say may be the cause. But they say this hose connection with "gromet" (not a clamp)was not connected to over flow tank and just hanging there. They also have some suspicions about some electronic component which controls electric fan on and off not functioning properly and new component being overnight air shipped from GM parts warehouse. The Ops Mgr and GM Tech very optimistic that they have root cause. They will finish repair and test coolant system for no air bubbles etc. First time in three service visits I have reason to believe they have it. But big concern about quality control with Holden at assembly point. I will reserve judgement until they finish work, road test etc, but they are on it. Next the car will head into their paint shop to repaint paint defect below clear coat on rear trunk lid deck about a 4 or 5 inch long smudge in the paint. Some thing else that missed QC. Guys at MacMulkin are listening and staying with it as pros. I will be OK driving the new Impala loaner in the meantime but will be happy if they can resolve mech and paint defect and get old silver back to me late in the week. I will keep you posted on problem details and out come of paint job. MacMulkin have been advocates on the issue with GM Tech and Brand Manager, we will see how they wrap this up. As you can imagine just and ongoing inconvience and confidence breaker. Update- Lator gators. MD

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Many of us here are eager to learn new reasons why cars give us problems.

The more crap you see = the more experience you have.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Sounds like some progress is being made at last. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts