Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm about to take the plunge, waiting on my kit to arrive and in the meantime I have also ordered the HPTuners setup.
My car is bone stock right now and will go under the knife when I get both time and all the parts. I have some question for the experts:

1. Has anyone here got personal experience tuning our ECM for this? (seems to be an E38 ECM).

2. Anyone buy a bigger MAF Sensor?

I read many many posts about the LSA conversion, prohcarger, whipple, etc and finally decided on the LSA because it is 99% stock GM parts. I'm wondering if anyone has recent experiences of do's/dont's about the install or the tuning.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't give you much advice on the tuning side-I'm lucky to have a very good tuner local to me. But if you need any advice on the install feel free to reach out. When I did the LSA only and no other power mods the car felt totally perfect. The way it should've come from the factory. Mine made 525whp 500wtq with the lsa through a manual trans

The install is an absolute joy if you are a halfway decent wrench. Most everything is very bolt on. I would suggest buying the legit tools for removing and installing the crank pulley. Check your new pulley for being straight. It took me three tries to get a good one (and all were purchased new). Pinning the crank sucks it seemed to take forever. You will need a right angle drill.

I would upgrade to the bigger ls7 MAF as you will run out of room with the ls3 eventually if you keep building the car. You will need an iat breakout harness as well as swap two pins on the maf plug if you decide to upgrade to the ls7 style.

Where did you get your kit?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I second everything there

And don’t think cuz I’m rockin a Kong now that the LSA wasn’t a blast - it was!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to reach out as i encounter problems. So you think the LS7 MAF is sufficient? Are there flow ratings on the GM MAFs?

I ordered through West Michigan and have so far had good communications. Looking forward to getting started.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to reach out as i encounter problems. So you think the LS7 MAF is sufficient? Are there flow ratings on the GM MAFs?

I ordered through West Michigan and have so far had good communications. Looking forward to getting started.
Yes the LS7 is fine. It has enough resolution for tuning, you’ll just need a MAF tube. Spectre makes one and I think they sell it at the local parts stores.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tuned my own LSA SS with hptuners. The car was 100% stock when I bought it now it runs 10s fairly easy. For the MAF I have the ls3/7/LSA maf whatever you want to call it with a roto-fab for a 5gen ZL1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to decide about the MAF sensor and tube once I fit the parts and see what the intake is looking like.
By the way the HP Tuners kit came this weekend and I pulled in the stock tune. Do you know what the maximum airflow vs. frequency is for the LS7 MAF? In either Kg/hr or lbs/min (or whatever you are used to)?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
15,000hz - my tune has a max of 1,610.34 grams/sec or 12,780 lb/h with the LS7 MAF

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15,000hz - my tune has a max of 1,610.34 grams/sec or 12,780 lb/h with the LS7 MAF
That's a lot higher range than our stock MAF. 12,780/60 = 212.5 lbs/min, whereas our stock SS MAF curve is maxed out about 67.5 lbs/min according to the data pulled from my stock tune. Here I have calculated max airflow requirements for stock N/A and various boost levels, with the yellow squares highlighting the stock sensor maximum.
Either I just transition to speed density above 4000 rpm or I get an LS7 MAF sensor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I'm 85% complete on the install. Finally had time this weekend to begin the work, but the rest of it will wait until next weekend for me to finish. I have yet to install the intercooler pump and heat exchanger lines but overall this LSA install is not too bad outside of pinning the crank. Here's a couple of photos.
SS-LSA in place.jpg
SS-LSA with lid in place.jpg
pinning the crank.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks good. Here is one I did. I do recommend that you swap to the LS7 style MAF, we maxed the stock one in this car at 9psi of boost. The LS3 maf in my camaro supports 1000rwhp without maxing out in a 3.5" tube (vortech tube) it supports more than that in a 4" tube.
You would have a hard time transitioning to SD over 4000 rpm, as GM strategy is the opposite. you can raise the transition RPM to MAF only to keep it SD all the way up, but then you lose the benefits of the MAF at high RPMs anyway (adaptation to current atmospheric conditions) which is why GM does it that way.
Ive tuned a couple hundred Gen4 ECU cars/trucks, if you have issues just ask, happy to help.
20170619_145210.jpg
20170619_180419.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes that looks great! I notice you and several others have mounted the TB in reverse. The TB extension I have would have to be lengthened again so I opted for the stock orientation, but it literally only has 1/8" clearance beyond the belt...which I suppose will be fine. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I did buy the LS7 MAF card for future tuning but I will initially start with the stock MAF. Did you mean LS3 MAF in your camaro supports 1000HP, or is that a typo? If so, I wouldn't have ordered the LS7...

What air intake piping did you use to connect to that airbox? it looks like a tight turn and a short run for the MAF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LS3 and LS7 maf are the same in my reference, as the 5th gen camaro uses the card style. I just said LS3 because it was my OEM sensor in that car.
the elbow is just a universal silicone elbow, there isnt a lot you can do about that with the airbox location on the SS, but after the MAF isnt as important as before the MAF. The card style does a good job close to the air filter even without an airflow straightener, but so does the OEM tube style.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And the TB touched the belt when I tried it on this car with a Gates RPM belt. We switched to a smaller ZPE pulley later anyway that gave more clearance, but I had already extended the harness.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah, okay I understand now. I ordered my LS7 MAF based on the part number 15865791

LS3 and LS7 maf are the same in my reference, as the 5th gen camaro uses the card style. I just said LS3 because it was my OEM sensor in that car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do appreciate the willingness to help. I have some more questions now that I've gone down my task list for this weekend.

1. there is a hard line under the supercharger connecting the both heads across the valley. It has a single hard tube that was below the supercharger snout and I had to bend it down and angle it slightly to get the clearance. Where did you hook that up?
2. My valve cover vent inlet line on the passenger side head is open and I plan to insert it into the intake after the MAF. The other side (drivers side valve cover) is plugged with a rubber boot in the back. Should I leave it this way or also hook that up to the intake?
3. fuel vapor vent solenoid. The old plug is too far away as is shown in your picture, and the original hard plastic line has to make a 180 bend. How did you solve those issues?
4. Is that the old MAP sensor used to just plug off the port in the superchager snout, and do you just leave it that way? I see the new Map sensor on the lid and that is what I plan to plug in. Also I heard the new Map sensor may be 3 bar, but I haven't had a chance to compare part numbers and won't be able to until the weekend. I'm just wondering if I have to change any settings in my tune to compensate for that.
5. For the MAF and my tuning: I plan to use the MAF for the whole RPM range, but I'm concerned that it will have low resolution at idle and part throttle use. I also read that I have to get the VVE tables right first. How do you normally solve this?

Looks good. Here is one I did. I do recommend that you swap to the LS7 style MAF, we maxed the stock one in this car at 9psi of boost. The LS3 maf in my camaro supports 1000rwhp without maxing out in a 3.5" tube (vortech tube) it supports more than that in a 4" tube.
You would have a hard time transitioning to SD over 4000 rpm, as GM strategy is the opposite. you can raise the transition RPM to MAF only to keep it SD all the way up, but then you lose the benefits of the MAF at high RPMs anyway (adaptation to current atmospheric conditions) which is why GM does it that way.
Ive tuned a couple hundred Gen4 ECU cars/trucks, if you have issues just ask, happy to help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1) That is the steam line, goes to radiator. See picture.
2) I ran the fresh air hose from the intake elbow and ran it to the rear of the driver valve cover. Plugged the passenger side. 2 reasons, one is that the driver's side has a restrictor in it to limit airflow into the crankcase, allowing a little more vacuum to pull crankcase vapors out from the valley cover. Two, a little cleaner install. This car has a catch can on the passenger side (not shown) so it kept that hose off the passenger side.
3) See picture for evap solution. Basically extend the wires a couple inches (solder), and use a heatgun to gently reform the evap hard line.
4) Two black sensors are unused, red sensor on the lid is 3 bar MAP.
5) The LS7 MAF is designed around a 4" tube anyway, so you wont lose any resolution at idle. I had mine in a 4.5" tube and it was also fine even with a pretty large cam. For the VVE tables, disable the MAF in the tune AND unplug it to ensure it stops reading the MAF. When disabled in the tune but still plugged in, it still reads the frequency and can throw off the fuel trims sometimes even if you have most of the MAF parameters disabled and zeroed, and the CEL is on for the MAF being failed in the tune.
20201116_125150.jpg

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
yes that looks great! I notice you and several others have mounted the TB in reverse. The TB extension I have would have to be lengthened again so I opted for the stock orientation, but it literally only has 1/8" clearance beyond the belt...which I suppose will be fine. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I did buy the LS7 MAF card for future tuning but I will initially start with the stock MAF. Did you mean LS3 MAF in your camaro supports 1000HP, or is that a typo? If so, I wouldn't have ordered the LS7...

What air intake piping did you use to connect to that airbox? it looks like a tight turn and a short run for the MAF.
I had my TB in the original position for a few years, then I got the Glanzer tank, had to flip it to clear

Reactions: jebrant
1 - 20 of 24 Posts