Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased R1 Pro ceramic coating from my neighbor who is a detailer and was able to purchase the detailer strength version since he is a detailer. I spent 13 hours getting my paint flawless via my PC buffer then started applying the ceramic coat. I did 1x1 foot sections for applying/removal and repeating until I completed the car. I couldn't pull the car outside due to rain. The next morning, I noticed most of the panels had streaking on them. Being ceramic coating, the only way I could fix the blemishes was polishing the car with a light polish AGAIN! Screw it, I just applied some Collinite Marque d'elegance wax and called it a day. First, me screwing up the Holden Power Dome decal, than this **** show. I'm spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I understand completely, had a few bad experiences myself, and that is why I will not do them myself any more....

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think I spent over 20 hours from Friday to Monday. When I was young and dumb I would have seen my labor as easily dispensible. At 50, I see it as a precious commodity with all the other house projects and family engagement activities. Regardless, the car looks fabulous. Hopefully, this will be it for polishing the car as I have done it 3 times since I bought it and I want to preserve what's left of the clearcoat! Stupid ceramic coating cost me 2 of those polishes, too.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sorry that happened to you OP. Ceramic coating needs to be done by a pro. Good lesson for everyone.

Agreed, and even they will have to go back and buff out areas that get a haze on them.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I watched the pro that did my ceramic coating, he went left to right then front to back to ensure everything was covered and no streaks before wiping. Worth every penny having it done by someone with the knowledge and tools.

I'm over 50, I don't straighten nails and never dig holes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I watched the pro that did my ceramic coating, he went left to right then front to back to ensure everything was covered and no streaks before wiping. Worth every penny having it done by someone with the knowledge and tools.

The weird part is I ceramic coated my wife's black Audi Q7 and it's flawless. I mean I had zero streaks right from the beginning. So I don't think my technique was off.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
The weird part is I ceramic coated my wife's black Audi Q7 and it's flawless. I mean I had zero streaks right from the beginning. So I don't think my technique was off.

Maybe the mistake you made was doing it in the garage during a rain ???

Won't cure right in high humidity .....

Plus just because the surface appeared dry it might not have been because of the humidity.

Reactions: willy92 and ESindon

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts

Did you use the same product on the Audi?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes. I did the Audi in the garage in Decenber with the garage heater set at 68 when it was below freezing outside. I did the Chevy in garage with heat set to 65 and it was 55 outside. Too early for humidity in IL. I waited a few seconds for the chemical to flash than wiped out off. I must have just been lucky with the Audi as I just used my portable halogen lamp as well and had no streaking.

After going through all this hastle, I much prefer the simplicity of waxing.

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I always had a tough time with polishing my red F150 and before that my Dad's red 300zx. Something about red always gave me trouble. Also had some streaking on my Mom's old black Infiniti QX4 when using Zaino Clear Seal which is usually foolproof. Silver and white are much more forgiving.

The only ceramic coating I've applied myself was the old version of OptiCoat 2.0. I don't think it was the same exact formula the pros had access to, but it was super easy to apply and the results were great.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts

Yes. I did the Audi in the garage in Decenber with the garage heater set at 68 when it was below freezing outside. I did the Chevy in garage with heat set to 65 and it was 55 outside. Too early for humidity in IL. I waited a few seconds for the chemical to flash than wiped out off. I must have just been lucky with the Audi as I just used my portable halogen lamp as well and had no streaking.

After going through all this hastle, I much prefer the simplicity of waxing.

Maybe it happened because the paint and clear coat was different on the Audi??? Tough to say if that should even matter. I wouldn't think so, but I'm grabbing at straws here. Still sorry that happened to you bud. Definitely a bummer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sorry for the grief .

as durable as this stuff is on the paint, its just as hard to remove. buffer is the only way.

even though you can buy the PRO version from your friend doesnt mean normal people should apply it.

I've installed Quartz CQ 2.0 on my car and was very happy with the results. I feel for you man, it takes MANY
MANY hours and days to do the job right.

I'd never go back to sealants or waxing. i rather spend an entire weekend prep'n the car then detailing it monthly/yearly.

ppp

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe the mistake you made was doing it in the garage during a rain ???

Won't cure right in high humidity .....

Plus just because the surface appeared dry it might not have been because of the humidity.
This would be what I think. I did my own and there are specific temperature and humidity ranges to apply. Living in Houston made it challenging to find the right time to do it. I can imagine rain will throw the humidity too high anywhere.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This would be what I think. I did my own and there are specific temperature and humidity ranges to apply. Living in Houston made it challenging to find the right time to do it. I can imagine rain will throw the humidity too high anywhere.

I can't imagine why humidity when it's 60 degrees outside, though. I don't know if I removed it with my Lake Country blue/no cutting pad and 3M Ultrafina final polish, but I at least leveled it consistently across the entire car.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
I can't imagine why humidity when it's 60 degrees outside, though. I don't know if I removed it with my Lake Country blue/no cutting pad and 3M Ultrafina final polish, but I at least leveled it consistently across the entire car.

Humidity is VERY important for curing/drying.

Temperature is only one factor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts