Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Well, I went to America's today to get a price on some new treads. Michelin is running a discount right now which takes about 200 bucks off the price. I also got a price on some Continentals. The price difference is not that much really. BUT, I can't decide which tire to go with. The store told me they are both fairly equal. Any thought guys? Thanks. B.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,173 Posts
If you're in SoCal, or any place with decent weather, go with the Michelins, other wise go with the Continentals.

Reactions: 4033 and ESindon

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'd go with the Michelins. I can't wait for the Potenzas to wear out so I can put a set of those
PS4S's on.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No experience with these Contis. Have had the Michelin PS4S on the SS for about 6,500 miles - awesome tires in all respects. Currently have another set of PS4S (different sizes) on my wife's car, and have had multiple sets of the previous iteration (PSS) on performance cars and they have always been excellent.
Great grip, great steering response, excellent braking, very good in the rain, low tread noise and good sharp bump isolation considering the performance, and they run really smooth (balance very well). Highly recommended.
P.S., I live in SC.

·
Registered
484 Posts
These are the two that most run. I have the older Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and very happy. One mention, I saw you are upping the front size to 255 but leaving the rears at 275 (I know that is the spec widest on the rear) but it will cause a very slight mismatch in sidewall and overall tire height. Highly unlikely it would be noticeable and I think others here have done your set up but I did go with 255 on front and 285 on rear for that reason...seems to fill wheel well a bit better but that is subjective. I’m not at all worried about being slightly out of spec on the rim.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
255 F and 275 R sounds interesting; may make the car a bit more oversteer; can dial most of it to taste with tire pressures. Wouldn't worry about slightly larger rolling radius at the front. Speaking of "slightly out of spec", the OEM 275 tires on 9.0" rims is just about "out of spec" per common rim/tire compatibility recommendations.

Reactions: Boudin

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
another vote for the Michelin's. I'm running the prior AS/3's and love them. Good in what rain we get, blackice, gravel roads, and I'd say 90% of the grip of a summer only tire on dry pavement. What I also like is you can feel when the start to loose adhesion, so you know to correct things before the a-end comes around.

Reactions: CB750

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
another vote for the Michelin's. I'm running the prior AS/3's and love them. Good in what rain we get, blackice, gravel roads, and I'd say 90% of the grip of a summer only tire on dry pavement. What I also like is you can feel when the start to loose adhesion, so you know to correct things before the a-end comes around.
YUP

Just got the last of the A/S3+ before they were gone to replace my 6 year old A/S3 that were age cracking.

They are just as you said.

Reactions: rjcalif

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have the Michelins on my SHO and like you guys have said, they grab the road like velcro. I have also heard that some guys love the Conti's and I'm deeply considering them. I'm at the base of the Sierra Foothills east of Stockton, where temps commonly drop into the low 30's and high 20's, but only at night. At those times I'm home on bed anyway. But in the middle of winter, is is not uncommon for day time highs to be in the upper 40's.

Can any of you guys chime in who have gone with 255's in front and left the 275's in the rear and how your rides responded?

Thanks guys. B.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In my opinion the 4S's are the top dog. If the price is that close, it's a no-brainer. I have the Conti's, the 4S's were out of stock in 275s back in the early spring when I ordered so I went with the Conti's and no regrets, they are still light years ahead of the stock Potenzas. Price didn't matter to me but they were about 300 cheaper then.

The Conti's and the last gen Pilot Super Sports were about equivalent. The new 4S is one step forward so seems to be universally regarded as the best summer tire out there.

Reactions: 4033

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
689 Posts
I have AS3+ tires on my car and will easily pay the premium when they were out to replace them with another set of Michelin tires. They are that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Continental ExtremeContact Sports and ready to need another set of tires soon. The Contis were superior to the Michelin PSS in the rain, which was important to me. With the new 4S supposedly being superior in the wet and dry now, I'll likely go that route with the same 255/285 split. I'm not happy that the 4S weigh so much more than the ECS, but they're supposed to provide better wear and better fuel efficiency. I guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 6.2/10 speed
8 Posts
Mp4s is a superior tire for grip. I'm not certain their life expectancy, but I'm seeing about 27k rear life and 35k life on fronts with the Continental DWS06. This is in respect to mostly Texas highway driving (concrete Temps above 115-130 degrees May through end of October).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good guys. I drive the car year round, and sometimes in the rain. But I don't get snow. And only possible black ice in the middle of the night in dead of winter. Which I'm home by that time anyway. So really, only summer or cold or wet grip is really important. B.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I literally almost died when I had continentals on my SS. Two things: The road feel is gone. It's like wearing a condom. You can't tell what the tires are doing. That would be bad enough but their breakaway is unpredictable as well, especially in the rain.

In my experience they tend to hydroplane quickly and without warning.

Michelin all the way. They're great.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I literally almost died when I had continentals on my SS. Two things: The road feel is gone. It's like wearing a condom. You can't tell what the tires are doing. That would be bad enough but their breakaway is unpredictable as well, especially in the rain.

In my experience they tend to hydroplane quickly and without warning.

Michelin all the way. They're great.
The ExtremeContact Sports?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The ExtremeContact Sports?
Yeah man. I mean in their defense I shouldn't have been too cheap to just pull the fronts off before they wore out. It was like a year and a half of driving my SS with mittens on. Toward the end was when they sent me backwards of a road hydroplaning at 65 MPH. In their defense again I shouldn't have been driving that fast in the rain on tires I don't trust.

The only thing I don't like about the Michelins is that they're TOO sticky. I rather like to steer with the back end sometimes, but you have to be going too dangerously fast to unstick the Michelins. They still break away progressively and grab the road as soon as you let off the throttle.

I'm also the guy that blew 8 sidewalls on 5 stock Potenzas in the first two years of owning my car. I'd say the continentals are much better than the Potenzas, but the Michelins are awesome.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I gotta kick outta this when I re-hooped mine just before tucking the car away for a long cold sleepie.........

The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
and
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

C7
CR (SS reference!)
I heard that the 3 or 4 tires found with cracking were on the back of a freight train at 0 degrees unloading in the middle of Nebraska or something, else these tires would have been socially media black balled to all heck, no matter how well they perform.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts