Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, curious as to what everyone is seeing in terms of oil consumption. Stock M6 here, purchased new, and broken in gradually through the RPM ranges. Last changed with Mobil1 back in February. In 1,900 miles, I’m just under half a quart low. Normal for the LS3? Or are there those here who don’t lose a drop?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Before you get worried about consumption . . .
Be aware that many people seem to have a bit of trouble getting an accurate read off of the goofy twisted dip stick. If not done with some caution (far more than should be necessary), it is easy to misread the stick. If I want a perfect read off the stick, I pull it, wipe it, and then wait and come back the next morning to reinsert it (quickly) and take a reading. Always read it to the lowest dry point on the stick. Until you have that level of assurance about the actual level before and after to make your comparison, I would not trust the results.
$.02

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,797 Posts
Before you get worried about consumption . . .
Be aware that many people seem to have a bit of trouble getting an accurate read off of the goofy twisted dip stick. If not done with some caution (far more than should be necessary), it is easy to misread the stick. If I want a perfect read off the stick, I pull it, wipe it, and then wait and come back the next morning to reinsert it (quickly) and take a reading. Always read it to the lowest dry point on the stick. Until you have that level of assurance about the actual level before and after to make your comparison, I would not trust the results.
$.02
Stick shifts can use more oil, based on how they ae driven...the LS3 powered Corvettes do.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Stick shifts can use more oil, based on how they are driven...the LS3 powered Corvettes do.
Yep, that too, especially with heavy engine braking and downshifting. That is also a very good reason for an oil catch can. Better to catch that oil in a can than running it through the intake. I wasn't going to mention that yet though, as think first order of concern is to get an accurate measurement on actual consumption. No need to to be troubled unless trouble is found.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Did you check the level after the last oil change? i.e. Was it filled correctly?

Under-filled at a dealer oil change is not unknown and has happened to me.

p.s. I have never added any oil in 5+ years. (Approx 8K per oil change)

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I would just keep driving and monitoring it overall. I'd be more concerned with more of a drastic change / increase than half a qt.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
1/2 qt in ~2k miles isn't terrible. I'd plumb a catch can if you haven't already and see how much you capture.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine ate alot of oil when new (1Q+) but now at 24K it seems to use about 1/2 a quart...... Mobil 1 5/30 48R gold filter. keep the level "in the dots" on the twisted oil stick contraption thingee....

·
Registered
825 Posts
@ 55,000 miles on 2016 manual SS. I do down shift for engine breaking living in the Rockies...a LOT of steep down hill runs here. Car runs mostly highway miles and M1 or similar oil changed out at around 7000 miles. Never had to add oil yet.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I generally followed the break-in procedure, but the pedal hit the mat for short intervals many times. I know this might be horrifying to certain OG members, but I also changed the engine oil at 500 miles and the diff/tremec at 6,000 miles. I use no oil and collect just a few ounces in the catch can between changes (though my changes are always time triggered, not miles or OLM). As I've said before, you need to be military disciplined about how you check your oil if you're verifying usage. I'll check at the gas pump just to make sure something registers on the stick, but its at home after an overnight rest on a very flat garage floor that I will check the level.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The new replacement cable + swaged level indicator dipstick is much more repeatable than the original twisted sheet metal dipstick. Plus it doesn't put metal shavings from the inside of the dipstick tube in your oil. P/N is 12669528. I paid $20.11 including shipping. I change oil at approximately 3,500-4,000 mile intervals with Mobil 1 5W30. Oil level is down a little less than 1/2 quart at change. The car is a 6MT, engine is more-or-less stock. I typically get 2-3 tablespoons of oil out of my Mishimoto catch can with sintered bronze filter element. Interior of intake manifold is completely dry.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback guys. I changed the oil myself, it was exactly full. I check the level after the car has sat overnight in the garage as well. Yes, I am measuring from the lowest dry point in the stick.
36thEVACVet, are you the original owner? Curious as to how the car was broken in. That’s the thing, I engine brake when downshifting when I’ll be making a turn. If coming to a stop from a high gear I may downshift to 5th, and 4th, then ride it down to a stop. I broke this car in from the beginning gradually taking it up through the RPM range, engine braking back down. I’ll be honest it bothers me that I’m loosing a little bit (just under 1/2QT) after nearly 2K miles. After seeing at least one person with an M6 doesn’t loose a drop, perhaps getting a compression and leak down test just to see the numbers would be peace of mind?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I changed the oil myself, it was exactly full. I check the level after the car has sat overnight in the garage as well. Yes, I am measuring from the lowest dry point in the stick.
36thEVACVet, are you the original owner? Curious as to how the car was broken in. That’s the thing, I engine brake when downshifting when I’ll be making a turn. If coming to a stop from a high gear I may downshift to 5th, and 4th, then ride it down to a stop. I broke this car in from the beginning gradually taking it up through the RPM range, engine braking back down. I’ll be honest it bothers me that I’m loosing a little bit (just under 1/2QT) after nearly 2K miles. After seeing at least one person with an M6 doesn’t loose a drop, perhaps getting a compression and leak down test just to see the numbers would be peace of mind?
Bought new at Classic Chevy in grapevineTx. Broke in on 700 miles of rural highway to Ruidoso NM. Speeds and loads varied with frequent small towns on the way to break up the RPM & highway speeds. Did NOT engine break during “break in”...the owner’s manual says not to. Your oil loss is not abnormal and needs no investigation. A % of oil is lost as volatile components are subjected to heat. (See “Noack #“). Also that 1/2 quart of loss in 2000 miles may not be a linear consumption. Let it stay 1/2 qt down on the dipstick and it may not show additIonal consumption.

I may loose 1/2 qt on the dipstick in 7000 miles. Never added oil yet. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum used so far (5W-30). I may eventually go to M1 0W-40 when my “stash” of rebate oil in the basement is gone.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you’re looking for something to be concerned about, then sure do the tests. But, what you describe is within the norm for an LS3. A dealer will likely just send you on your way as a non-issue. Kinda like I have to add air to my tires occasionally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction, my SS I did not engine brake during brake in. On my other car (also a manual, zero consumption) I did engine brake.
What would cause a non-linear consumption rate? 1/2 QT after 7K compared to 2K is quite a difference. But if what you’re saying is the case I may be still at 1/2 after 7K as well.
That’s what I’m also concerned about, if I did do a compression/leak down, would I find anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts