·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^
Leningrad Naval Base in St. Petersburg?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Could be, do they have nuclear powered subs there?
It was just a WAG...maybe @Beatrice can share old Intel? Russians always breaking down and not telling public like their failed nuclear powered supersonic cruise missile test last August. They have other nuclear powered vessels besides their Subs like Icebreakers.

·
Registered
650 Posts
With the very limited data in the report, it's hard to make a good guess on the source. Commercial plant, nuclear sub, or one of the missiles are all possibilities. I have no doubt that we have surveillance planes or drones getting samples already.

The fuel type determines the fission yield probability, and the age of the fuel further changes the amount of different isotopes that can be expected. Time after release also affects what will be measured. So Pu-239 and U-235 will have slightly different signatures and the amount of each isotope seen (some by ratio, others by actual amount).

The three isotopes noted in the first article are common for all fission fuels, so it will be the lesser isotopes and any % or ratios available that will be more useful in analyzing this data.

I personally have a hard time believing they will get the missile propulsion to be fully successful. Unfortunately that doesn't stop them from trying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Finally had some time to do a little more reading on the area and possible sources. 2017 reports show similar isotopes believed to be from a reprocessing plant nearby. The isotopes are the same as those from commercial fuel as that is what is being reprocessed (appears to be the same for maybe some of the russian subs, but not as sure about those). Link to the 1957 release is in the article. Likelyhood of this release being from a reprocessing plant (with the commercial sites nearby) providing fuel to be recovered for missile/rocket uses or enrichment for russian 20w% military fuel is looking pretty decent.

(2019 article on the 2017 release)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
In 1982 I saw a group of decommisioned submarines sitting in Leningrad harbor. Not sure my picture survived the Harvey flood. I doubt subs that size were nuclear, but it would indicate a submarine graveyard nearby.

Reactions: Beatrice and Drone

·
Registered
650 Posts
@Sheffield Steve, here's a Forbes vote towards the missile or torpedo testing being the source.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^
Nuclear powered Torpedo? Putin is a madman... and now will be around until 2036? He is a Clear and Present Danger to the Planet. The Brits should get payback and have MI6 poison Vladimir with Polonium or Steven Seagal should come out of his CIA deep double agent cover, and break Putin's neck for lifetime immunity from SEC and IRS prosecution plus exclusive movie rights. Maybe Greta Thunberg will give him a Cerebral Hemorrhage from her secret mutant MK Ultra Mind Control powers disguised as Climate Change Global Activism. His head is already abnormally large...lol

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
^^^
Nuclear powered Torpedo? Putin is a madman... and now will be around until 2036? He is a Clear and Present Danger to the Planet.
Politiburo will soon pass law that only legal dog breed is the Vladimir Poochin. Months later voters will approve this law by a 92% margin. Meat shortages will alleviate for a while as law takes effect. Newspapers will praise the Leader for making meat prices more affordable with disclaimers buried 7 paragraphs down that rumors about the new dog breed law and meat supply are not related. Bloggers who posted these suggestions will be arrested for possession of Krokodil.

And I can post this because I don't plan on ever returning there.

VladimirPoochin.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Curious conclusion. The fact that none of the other isotopes have been publicly identified by an agency or article is interesting. Commercial fuel has very specific isotopic signatures that are decently well known. A reprocessing facility handles commercial fuel and would have the potential for a release with the same products as the original commercial facility. Whether the airborne products are scrubbed might give a clue if the release was underwater, though a filter, or held in a tank first.

Leaking fuel signatures are well known and well published. Number of fuel failures by location is relatively easy to confim. If that's true, I would expect to see the World Association of Nuclear Operatord (WANO) confirm the leaking fuel. There would also be no reason for a country to deny a release when it can be easily traced.

The lack of detail on isotopes other than those with the highest statistical production rate from all fissile materials is suspicious to me.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That made me chuckle.

I like how Mr. A notes that the explosion could have come from a diesel generator for supplying electricity....uh, no.

Stuxnet v2.0 doing its job apparently.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Not every thing that blows up in Iran can be blamed on Israel, still, if you had a neighbor shouting almost daily that they're going to kill you at what point do you begin to take them seriously?
Israel already responded to the water system cyber-attack by shutting down the computer network at a major Iranian port and halting shipping traffic for several days. Iranian nukes are a source of concern for not just Israel.
Here's an old map, ranges have expanded since, I may have already posted this up in this thread:

301 - 318 of 318 Posts