281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
That would be friggin’ sweet

·
Registered
99 Posts
My console house coms and all of the plant info computers which only give info and no control function. Same console from the Apollo missions flight control

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you look at the pictures. It's not really a reactor "control" panel, but the stations for the camera operator(s).
It might be a remote monitoring station or part of one of the training simulators. Looks like at one point it was at Sizewell A based on the red placard; pictures 3 and 5 have a Reactor temperature display. Some of the other controls do look more like camera controls; remote monitoring is sometimes used on field indications, but it doesn't look like it was used that extensively for this particular design.

This is a video of Sizewell-A control room (
pictures are hard to find. Oldbury had a few panels that were pretty close in appearance but not that whole set. Plus, most of the consoles had a much tighter radius than these appear to have.

Neat find!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Indian point in ny. I'm an sro on unit 2 which shutdown permanently April 30th. Unit 3 shutdowns next year and then that's it.
I don't "like" that.....

Yeah, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. How long have you been there? Any post shutdown plans (if you don't mind me asking)?

I have a friend that's at Duane Arnold, which is also shutting down later this year. He didn't start in nuclear, and I think he's getting out of it to stay local to family.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't "like" that.....

Yeah, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. How long have you been there? Any post shutdown plans (if you don't mind me asking)?

I have a friend that's at Duane Arnold, which is also shutting down later this year. He didn't start in nuclear, and I think he's getting out of it to stay local to family.

Thanks, yeah it sucks. I've been here 12 years, engineering then non licensed operator and then license school/sro. It's been a ride.

Entergy is at least being real good a out offering everyone of us jobs down south at their other nuke plants in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi if they want them. I'm not really interested in those states so I'm going to be trying to get into their non-nuclear transmission/generation in the Houston area. I'm really tired of living in ny so kinda getting excited.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Indian point in ny. I'm an sro on unit 2 which shutdown permanently April 30th. Unit 3 shutdowns next year and then that's it.
Sorry to hear, I was going to guess IP since I know they are shutting both down and 2 just came offline. I grew up in Rockland County (live in Dutchess now) so lived within their vicinity for basically my entire life. Not so fondly remember the warning sirens malfunctioning at 2am once - we had one about 500' from our house.

Also worked at James A Fitzpatrick on an internship in the summer of '99 which was the sister to IP3 under NYPA back then. Thought it was strange Cuomo/NY subsidized that one to keep it from closing due to market conditions yet forced IP2/3 closed while profitable and located in a "capacity zone". Now they get replaced with a pair of natgas plants, one not far from me in Cricket Valley. That's NY for you...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think it was Sizewell A. I worked there many years ago.

Looking back, it's amazing but there was almost no security against terrorists etc. Certainly no armed guards and the like

Those reactors were a very unique British design (Magnox reactor). They used Carbon Dioxide as the primary coolant. Had no secondary containment and could be refueled while at full power. (Ran for years without outage)

Here is a (somewhat faded) picture I took of the older sister reactor at Berkeley in the UK. The main building houses the reactor itself. Those "pipes" are the primary cooling circuit and were tall enough to stand up in (which I did many times). The smaller buildings house the heat exchangers (boilers) that produce the steam.

It might be a remote monitoring station or part of one of the training simulators. Looks like at one point it was at Sizewell A based on the red placard; pictures 3 and 5 have a Reactor temperature display. Some of the other controls do look more like camera controls; remote monitoring is sometimes used on field indications, but it doesn't look like it was used that extensively for this particular design.

This is a video of Sizewell-A control room, pictures are hard to find. Oldbury had a few panels that were pretty close in appearance but not that whole set. Plus, most of the consoles had a much tighter radius than these appear to have.

Neat find!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry to hear, I was going to guess IP since I know they are shutting both down and 2 just came offline. I grew up in Rockland County (live in Dutchess now) so lived within their vicinity for basically my entire life. Not so fondly remember the warning sirens malfunctioning at 2am once - we had one about 500' from our house.

Also worked at James A Fitzpatrick on an internship in the summer of '99 which was the sister to IP3 under NYPA back then. Thought it was strange Cuomo/NY subsidized that one to keep it from closing due to market conditions yet forced IP2/3 closed while profitable and located in a "capacity zone". Now they get replaced with a pair of natgas plants, one not far from me in Cricket Valley. That's NY for you...
Small world I'm in Wappingers and I spent an outage up at Fitz right before they sold to excelon.

Don't even get me started on the upstate subsidy crap it drives me crazy. I don't even blame my company for giving up and shutting IP down. They spent over 200 million fighting river keeper/cuomo on relicensing in court over 10-15 years with no end in sight. Spent over 120 million on Fukushima mods and emergency equipment that will never be used. Then natural gas gets so cheap that IP is really just breaking even or making a small profit per mwh.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Small world I'm in Wappingers and I spent an outage up at Fitz right before they sold to excelon.

Don't even get me started on the upstate subsidy crap it drives me crazy. I don't even blame my company for giving up and shutting IP down. They spent over 200 million fighting river keeper/cuomo on relicensing in court over 10-15 years with no end in sight. Spent over 120 million on Fukushima mods and emergency equipment that will never be used. Then natural gas gets so cheap that IP is really just breaking even or making a small profit per mwh.
We must've crossed paths at some point, I'm in Lagrange with a white SS. Not to be confused with the one with the black hood running around on slicks who is making a name for himself as a street racer leaving marks on 84...although I can't say I've ever actually gone 55 on the Taconic either. Lived in Fishkill/Wappingers in the past though when the black T/A was the regular driver.

I don't blame Entergy for exiting either, NY clearly turned IP into a political game and was going to strong arm them out no matter what. Even if they had spent the millions on cooling towers to make Riverkeeper happy. So instead of a warm spot on the Hudson you get a few more million metric tons of CO2 emission from the natgas plants, go figure.

Reactions: Beatrice

·
Registered
99 Posts
We must've crossed paths at some point, I'm in Lagrange with a white SS. Not to be confused with the one with the black hood running around on slicks who is making a name for himself as a street racer leaving marks on 84...although I can't say I've ever actually gone 55 on the Taconic either. Lived in Fishkill/Wappingers in the past though when the black T/A was the regular driver.

I don't blame Entergy for exiting either, NY clearly turned IP into a political game and was going to strong arm them out no matter what. Even if they had spent the millions on cooling towers to make Riverkeeper happy. So instead of a warm spot on the Hudson you get a few more million metric tons of CO2 emission from the natgas plants, go figure.
I'm sure we have. I too have a white ss. We should try to cruise to bear mountain if the have any car shows this summer.

One of my co-workers is cousins with that guy and he's shown me a few videos of him getting rowdy. I get text messages here and there from friends asking me off I'm driving like an ass down route 9 and I assume it's him.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I though this was interesting given the situation we are all living through:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I though this was interesting given the situation we are all living through:

Hadn't seen that one; thanks for sharing! Would be really cool to see that applied to vaccines.

I shared the below on my FB; note that 1.5GY is not a small dose as a whole body dose (it's about 150 Rad). But, similar to targeted radiation therapy for cancer, a targeted dose can be higher with fewer negative effects, and. An be especially desirable if the benefits outweigh the potential risks.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts