Chevy SS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
@Smirnoff67

I don't live in fear, not sure what I've said implied that. And if the Department of Homeland Security considers it the most likely nation level impacting emergency to call it "scenario number one" then you should ask them what data and intelligence/surveillance leads them to believe that, not sure why you'd want to demand that from me, a civilian working in the private sector who knows little about the looking glass of a superpower... I didn't know adults needed safe spaces to be protected from dramatic fiction and knowledge of the reality of threats that have been facing the real world for many decades now... The "shock value" of my video is about as much news as being told water is wet.
Your friends at Homeland Security tell you that b.s.? Or did you just read it on Google and take it as the gospel truth? I'm not demanding anything of you, other than you delete that POS video you made. Why don't you go make a video about cars or women or surfing or the man in the moon? Anything but preaching about the big bad bomb...don't want to hear it because it's a waste of time talking about something that's never gonna happen. If we could get through the Cuban Missle Crisis, pretty sure we're good. Of course, being that you're a child, you probably don't know much about that. Maybe you should visit the library and check it out. Might learn something. And if your video has no shock value as you say, why bother making it? Still waiting to hear what you were hoping to gain by making it if you weren't preaching. Don't live in fear, huh? Hate to break it to you, but that video reeks of fear, which is part of what bothers me so much.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but that video reeks of fear, which is part of what bothers me so much.
Given that an astonishing percent of our population is infected with Gullibility Virus, yours and Beatrice's concern about the need for a prominent disclaimer through the entire duration of the video are well heeded.

·
Super Moderator
13,426 Posts
Let's all take a step back and a few deep breaths or this thread is going to vanish like it was at ground zero of a nuclear blast.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
... me, a civilian working in the private sector who knows little about the looking glass of a superpower ... I didn't know adults needed safe spaces to be protected from dramatic fiction and knowledge of the reality of threats ...
Hmm, shouldn't adults know how to read the first line of a thread? Let me recount it for you here (just in case you missed it in your zeal to show off your little piece of "dramatic fiction" here).
From post#1:
Okay I'll get the ball rolling and hopefully this will turn into a popular Thread. Just no politics is all I ask.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@Smirnoff67

I thought producing a realistic dramatization of an AES alert of a nuclear attack was a neat idea, especially if it could achieve a level of engagement and experience for the audience that the typical campy and cheesy attempts I've seen previously made could not. If that makes you think I'm some irrational fearmongering end-is-nigh crackpot then I don't know what to tell you :grin

And I've made a single 8 minute video that only took a handful of hours to make, if I had a YouTube channel that regularly followed and misinterpreted world news headlines and incessantly preached the world was going to end with nuclear war and I watched the Doomsday clock and DEFCON levels like a hawk then yeah I'd agree with your assessment of being fearful but to me it sounds like you're grabbing at nonexistent straws and just upset with me for a reason I can't pinpoint as being rational or called for.

And I have little creative interest in producing unoriginal car video content, immaturely, fruitlessly, and shallowly gawking over "women" as you seem to suggest (which sounds pretty childish to me yet you accuse me of being so), or surfing (since I'm in the PNW and my athletic interests are in court and table tennis), or space travel as I haven't been indulging in that interest since I was a teenager playing Orbiter and other space sims. As I said, I'm now working on a spiritual successor to SimCity4 (2003). Isn't that lighthearted enough for you?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmm, shouldn't adults know how to read the first line of a thread? Let me recount it for you here (just in case you missed it in your zeal to show off your little piece of "dramatic fiction" here).
From post#1:
When did I ever get political? And I didn't know sharing creative work was automatically considered being zealous? My video has less than a hundred views for goodness sake, not sure how high and mighty I could get with sharing it here.

And the title "Off Topic: The Nuclear Thread" seems pretty broad area of coverage to me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So is it an internal joke to tell someone that they engineered something so poorly they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn?
Close! It is a nod to the broadside of a barn.

When a neutron is incident on U-235, the probability of absorption is so high that it's like throwing a ball at the broadside of a barn.

More barns=more likely to absorb

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the smaller unit?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
@good2go

Disclaimer: I do not own or claim ownership of the media used to produce this video. All expressions and implications resembling or relating to real world events or processes are purely coincidental. This is a work of fiction intended for dramatic, thought-provoking effect on the audience. Viewer discretion is still advised.
The video is meant to be a generic (and arguably highly unlikely) but 'believable' enough scenario to elevate the suspension of disbelief as this provides a better viewing experience from a directing and producing standpoint. If you somehow thought I was making a political statement with this hypothetical scenario then you're mistaken.

Please quote me if I have made a political statement and I will redact and apologize.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
... If you somehow thought I was making a political statement with this hypothetical scenario then you're mistaken.

Please quote me if I have made a political statement ...

Seriously? Your message seems fairly agenda oriented to me there pal. :frown

... I think it's important people understand the threat of nuclear war.

The reality is in such a situation no one cares or needs to know about the nitty gritty scientific details and exactness of terms, ...
None of the inconsequential specifics matter when trying to reach dozens of millions of people with a simple short message. Better for the public to overreact than assume they're safe when they're actually not.
... a nuclear attack is "considered the most likely of fifteen emergency scenarios to impact the United States".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Response_Scenario_Number_One

Denial of this reality and fact is the problem. ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seriously? Your message seems fairly agenda oriented to me there pal. :frown
None of those statements are political? Insinuating a government agency's findings and statements are "BS" IS political and quite incendiary if you ask me... Advocating for or discussing public safety I would hope is not.

Your second quote is out of context, I was stating that as a rebuttal to the argument that a generic 400 mile radius wasn't an effective "well-rounded" message to having people seek shelter as people both in potential danger zones and all-clear zones could receive the same message given the limitations of targeted geographically specific instructions.

As for the third, quoting a source-cited Wikipedia article I would also hope is not considered making a political statement either. And then pointing said finding out as being contradictory to something someone else claimed as a fact is also not political...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
None of those statements are political?
Were you not paying attention to Martin? Will you feel better if you can get this thread locked? How about you take a breather? Go post something in an oil or MT v AT thread if you still feel the need for some action.

Here, I'm passing this box around for everyone on the last few pages:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Your friends at Homeland Security tell you that b.s.?
Now THIS sounds pretty political to me. But that's none of my business... /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_angel.png
No it's not. He said according to google, homeland security's biggest concern is a nuclear threat. I asked if he had friends at H.S. who told him that. How's that political?

·
Registered
96 Posts
And now there is yet more backtracking, strawmanning, and doubling down on the mocking... Trying to have civil discussion with such lack of intellectual integrity or maturity is not a great use of my time.

I'll refrain from defending myself from the continued irrational discourse being unreasonably thrown at me and let the broad scope of "Off Topic: The Nuclear Thread" resume with whatever the OP deems as "on-topic" on the inconsistent whims and exclusionary basis that he operates on.

Thank you to everyone who showed some appreciation of the video and to the rich knowledge that was shared about the related real world specifics. Also, much respect and admiration to the SS owners whose careers greatly contributed to national security and public safety.

Enjoy the rest of the thread guys. :grin

·
Super Moderator
13,426 Posts
Oh, it's not going to be just locked -- it's going to be vaporized.
Once again, as is all too common here, a thread on an interesting topic gets waylaid by stupid, petty ego arguments that no one else cares about anyway.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
241 - 260 of 279 Posts