Chevy SS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
OOOOOOHHHHH!!! Dats NICE @15SuperSport !!!

EXPENSIVE TOO!!! WOW!!

A very nice Festivus gift to self!!!!

(y)
Actually very reasonable considering the hardware included. Considered a high end "entry level" AR, I got in it for $799.99, with a $100.00 gift card back from Scheels. I also got a Romeo 5 red dot for half price. 👍

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Hmm, this could make an interesting sub-topic: Guns you don't regret selling. Most of us who've sold have remorse for the departed.
My Colt 1911 Combat Commander 9mm with .22 conversion kit was a real mistake to let go, not that I'm a 1911 fan but because it was such a rare combo and the conversion kits are worth much more today.
The Charter Arms .44 Bulldog (Son of Sam Special) is the one I was glad to see go.
Couple of Safe Queens that aren't going anywhere.
My 6 inch Colt Python goes in the regret, and not regret, selling columns. I loved that pistol but hated it at the same time. I had a 357 snub Taurus go out of synch once and really enjoyed the feel of hot copper being deposited on my hands every time it decided to spit. The factory took care of that but just try getting a Python worked on if it decides to have an attitude. They are definitely not the easiest to work on an most of the true experts are either underground or out of the biz these days. Seems like everyone could work on them 30 years ago.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm, this could make an interesting sub-topic: Guns you don't regret selling. Most of us who've sold have remorse for the departed.
My Colt 1911 Combat Commander 9mm with .22 conversion kit was a real mistake to let go, not that I'm a 1911 fan but because it was such a rare combo and the conversion kits are worth much more today.
The Charter Arms .44 Bulldog (Son of Sam Special) is the one I was glad to see go.
Couple of Safe Queens that aren't going anywhere.
I don't regret selling my Benelli MR-1. Was a nice concept (piston driven semi auto instead of DI as found in most AR's, "feature less" semi auto, accepted most typical AR mags) but in reality I could never get it to feed properly and it was VERY picky as to ammo that it liked it to eat. Sold it to a guy in NY who was ecstatic to get it. Win win.

Actually very reasonable considering the hardware included. Considered a high end "entry level" AR, I got in it for $799.99, with a $100.00 gift card back from Scheels. I also got a Romeo 5 red dot for half price. 👍

Start building your own AR's. You can make that $799 go a LOT further and it's WAY more fun. I've never bought an assembled AR in my life. You've acquired one of them now, so you've opened pandora's box....have fun on your 2nd, 3rd, etc. AR. I know I have. :devilish::p

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Building your own certainly gives you more flexibility. All you need is the parts, the tools, the time, and the money. Warning: Similar to modding your SS, the skies' the limit and you may never be done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Building your own certainly gives you more flexibility. All you need is the parts, the tools, the time, and the money. Warning: Similar to modding your SS, the skies' the limit and you may never be done.
View attachment 278437
True. However, I always thought of them more like Legos for adults. I actually think I enjoy building them more than shooting them. I certainly have more time to build them to go shoot them.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
View attachment 278437
in my case I'm kind of a middle-of-the-road guy. Kind of like cars, I don't build it from scratch myself in my garage, but I also don't go to Barrett-Jackson buy one fully done and show up at the car show the following week. In the case of the AR-15 I won't build my own from scratch, but I also won't go spend two grand on the top of the line and call it even. I bought the base model m400 tread, and now so far I've customized with a Romeo 5, iron sights and have a couple other upgrades like an upgraded trigger, a skeletonized hand guard, vertical hand grip etc. in mind to kind of make it my own and I'll be good. I don't really have time to do anything more than that as time is my most valuable asset and rarest commodity.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
True. However, I always thought of them more like Legos for adults. I actually think I enjoy building them more than shooting them. I certainly have more time to build them to go shoot them.
All I know is that after buying Faxon 416SS barrel, Spikes Tactical billet upper/lower, Geissele trigger group, ALG Modular rail, LANTAC Dragon Muzzle brake, Diamondhead night sights, 1x8 scope, Failzero EXO coated M16 Bolt carrier group, etc, I could have bought another Lewis Machine Tool AR for considerably less. But I wouldn't have my long range AR sniper fun gun, that I'm building, would I?

·
Registered
107 Posts
All I know is that after buying Faxon 416SS barrel, Spikes Tactical billet upper/lower, Geissele trigger group, ALG Modular rail, LANTAC Dragon Muzzle brake, Diamondhead night sights, 1x8 scope, Failzero EXO coated M16 Bolt carrier group, etc, I could have bought another Lewis Machine Tool AR for considerably less. But I wouldn't have my long range AR sniper fun gun, that I'm building, would I?
Nice SAPR build. You definitely went upper shelf on a lot of those items. Any reason you went with billet upper and lowers?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Nice SAPR build. You definitely went upper shelf on a lot of those items. Any reason you went with billet upper and lowers?
Yeah it was just one of those "just because" moments. At least this wasn't an automotive "just because" moment. Those tend to be bank account breakers.

I have a Lewis Machine Tool and Daniel Defense AR, plus an Armalite AR10. This build will be my high end long range AR for sure. My AR10 has a 16" SS barrel and the muzzle blast is spectacular to say the least.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah it was just one of those "just because" moments. At least this wasn't an automotive "just because" moment. Those tend to be bank account breakers.

I have a Lewis Machine Tool and Daniel Defense AR, plus an Armalite AR10. This build will be my high end long range AR for sure. My AR10 has a 16" SS barrel and the muzzle blast is spectacular to say the least.

View attachment 278442
Gotcha. Totally acceptable to be a "just because" decision. Just curious.

Cool looking AR10. Any issues getting on point with that red dot? Looks like it would be obscured by that rail? I'm just starting a "top shelf" build on a AR10 of my own. Contemplating barrels right now. Between BHW and Chrsitensen Arms.

Muzzle blasts can be fun. Best one I have for that is a 1929 Mosin Nagant. Thing shoots fire like a damn flame thrower. Best thing is, I can shoot it all day and night for pennies. 7.62x54R is dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Gotcha. Totally acceptable to be a "just because" decision. Just curious.

Cool looking AR10. Any issues getting on point with that red dot? Looks like it would be obscured by that rail? I'm just starting a "top shelf" build on a AR10 of my own. Contemplating barrels right now. Between BHW and Chrsitensen Arms.

Muzzle blasts can be fun. Best one I have for that is a 1929 Mosin Nagant. Thing shoots fire like a damn flame thrower. Best thing is, I can shoot it all day and night for pennies. 7.62x54R is dirt cheap.
Actually that Aimpoint is dead on with the stock sights at 100 yards. The Aimpoint's mount is hollowed out in the middle so I look through the peep, see the red dot, then the front post and it covers the 100 yard bull on a standard target. Without magnification, it will cut a single hole at 100 yards. I like the 110 grain Hornady TAP and this is a head shot wonder for a 308 AR. I actually bought it to cull feral hogs on a friends farm, you can get on target really quick, and they fall instantly to even the 110 grain 308. Most people move away after a couple of rounds at a range so I rarely take it to one. Not very friendly to bystanders.

I got out of the purchase mode on rifles before everyone went to the Mosin, and I was the first of my group to get an AR10, way back in 1999. I liked having my AR10 during Y2K even though I didn't buy into the sky is falling hype. Had a crazy neighbor with an AK so I wanted the AR10 in case he went batshit on me.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Updates done. Romeo 5 red dot, 13" skeletonized hand guard, vertical grip kit, iron sights. Wife got a little companion for my nights on the road as well.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
My only comment is if I can hit my target repeatedly why screw with it colt AR with grenade launcher barrel the heavy one.
z51vett
Doug

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Gun cleaning mat and t-shirt from my girls for me b-day 👍

281 - 300 of 314 Posts