Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone around the NYC area who has a stock 16/17 Auto with stock wheels and tires can take me for a spin? I recently bought Michelin A/S3+s for my SS and the noise (helicopter) is driving me insane. Trying to see if anyone else is having the same problem. I've gotten the tires balanced and rebalanced three times. About to get it road force balanced to see if that'll make a difference. I remember being on the Potenzas and they seemed quieter and smoother on the ride.

The LIE (I495) has recently gotten repaved from exits 22 to 29 eastbound and I've been driving on it to test the tires and it's definitely sounding like a Huey helicopter. Please help. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,555 Posts
You got one or more bad tires.

A/S 3's are quieter and smoother than the Bridgestones.

or ... the paving is the cause if you have only driven the new section on the Michelins and not the Bridgestones and other roads do not do it

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I was gonna ask if it was only on that section of road

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the section of the road I can hear the noise the most. It's newly paved and smooth so not much road noise aside from helicopter noise I hear going through certain speeds. I've driven on that stretch at different speeds, ranging from 30 to 80+ mph. 30 to mid 50s the tires are actually very quiet. From that point onward, I get the helicopter noise. Also, it seems like I feel every single bump, ridge, pebble on the roads with these tires. Tirerack is recommending a road force balance so I will do that when the tire shop they recommend is open.

I did notice that the tires have the excess material from the mold. Kind of like when you have a model airplane kit and it has excess material you have to file away? I don't know if this is what's causing the noise as well.

Lastly, no cupping on the tire treads. Ran my hand across the entire surface and all four are flat and smooth.

I also looked up other forums and cars that use A/S3+'s and they said that as they wear out, they'll sound better?

I appreciate you inputs. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My 2¢

Are the tires mounted to their correct staggered front and rear wheels?

This time of year miss getting apple cider and huge cookie from Jericho Cider Mill off LIE exit for 106/107

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
5,525 Posts
What tire pressure cold are you running should be 36 some folks read side of tire that says maximum pressure is like 42psi. Don't know if that will make noise but ride quality will suffer. As someone suggested are wheels and tires correct for there location.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's the section of the road I can hear the noise the most. It's newly paved and smooth so not much road noise aside from helicopter noise I hear going through certain speeds. I've driven on that stretch at different speeds, ranging from 30 to 80+ mph. 30 to mid 50s the tires are actually very quiet. From that point onward, I get the helicopter noise. Also, it seems like I feel every single bump, ridge, pebble on the roads with these tires. Tirerack is recommending a road force balance so I will do that when the tire shop they recommend is open.

I did notice that the tires have the excess material from the mold. Kind of like when you have a model airplane kit and it has excess material you have to file away? I don't know if this is what's causing the noise as well.

Lastly, no cupping on the tire treads. Ran my hand across the entire surface and all four are flat and smooth.

I also looked up other forums and cars that use A/S3+'s and they said that as they wear out, they'll sound better?

I'm on LI, office is in Garden City & live in Massapequa Park. Have a 2014 & don't have stock tires though. When did the noise start? Immediately after installing the tires?

Email me & we can try to catch up [email protected]

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,555 Posts

It is the paved surface.

The "excess material" has nothing to do with it.

Feeling every pebble means tire pressure is too high.

Road force balance will not make it better noise wise. It is the road surface. Just like some concrete road surfaces make a ton of tire noise.

Does the road surface have water grooves cut in it ???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Drone, the correct size wheels/tires are on the correct positions.
@z51vett, drove this morning, 35PSI cold, goes up to 37/38 hot. added air a week or so ago due to the colder outside temps.
@70BBVert, yes noise started with new tires. what tires are you on now?
@CB750, maybe paving is the wrong word. it's blacktop/asphalt. so, smooth as butter. no water grooves like concrete roads have. this is the kind of road that gets me excited when newly paved, smooth, quiet and no potholes, bumps, etc.

Some keys points:
- I went from Potenza's to A/S3+s
- I'm asking for someone with stock wheels/tires or something similar to see if I can replicate without having to get new tires shipped

Any advice on how I can minimize the helicopter noise if balancing isn't the issue? I originally wanted to go square but funds got tight and I only either had room for all-seasons or the set of front rims. NYC isn't kind to summer tires in the winter.

Again, every word is much appreciated. Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
13,555 Posts
Again; if it only does it on the one stretch of road it is the road surface. Period. Full stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts