Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
...still waiting for my recall notice. I don't think I'm getting one. GM bean counters win.
If it doesn't show up on the recall site when you plug in your VIN you ain't getting one.

It has nothing to do with "bean counters".

It has everything to do with the non-sequential VINs and lack of attention to detail by the recall guys.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Reactions: 16PB6MT

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If it doesn't show up on the recall site when you plug in your VIN you ain't getting one.

It has nothing to do with "bean counters".

It has everything to do with the non-sequential VINs and lack of attention to detail by the recall guys.
Sounds like you’re saying my ‘16 in the VIN gap is at risk of failure like all the others, but GM is unaware that this group of potentially bad racks remains??? If so, how does one get GM’s attention that there is a possible problem? Maybe I misunderstand your post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like you’re saying my ‘16 in the VIN gap is at risk of failure like all the others, but GM is unaware that this group of potentially bad racks remains??? If so, how does one get GM’s attention that there is a possible problem? Maybe I misunderstand your post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is just somebody’s wild imagination (you know, an assumption) and remains as such until proof is provided. Which will never happen.

How can Holden/GM know what caused the issue but still not recognize the issue? If the “cause” of the gap VINs has really been identified as a computer glitch or some other far fetched tale, we’d have recall letters in hand. We don’t. Because GM is trying to save a half million dollars.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
this is just somebody’s wild imagination (you know, an assumption) and remains as such until proof is provided. Which will never happen.

How can Holden/GM know what caused the issue but still not recognize the issue? If the “cause” of the gap VINs has really been identified as a computer glitch or some other far fetched tale, we’d have recall letters in hand. We don’t. Because GM is trying to save a half million dollars.
Too funny.

Believe what you want.

I know better. Facts.

... another "proof" guy.

You should know better by now. Some never learn.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My car was manufactured in April 2015, and was excluded from the initial electric steering rack recall because it was part of the group that experimented with the secret grease. I just checked the Chevrolet recall website, and the steering rack recall still did not come up for my VIN. Maybe it is too early, if GM's decision to expand the recall is recent (?).

I have so far not had any issues with the power steering, but only have 10,000 miles on the car. I also have already purchased a new steering rack with the correct replacement p/n identified in the recall notice. My concern is that the U.S. (LHD) part is unique in the Holden empire, and may become scarce in the future. I was planning to install the replacement rack soon, but now see that there have been a few instances of power steering failure following rack replacement. Right now my plan is to wait until the steering on my car actually fails, which may never happen. I am disappointed on the one hand that my car was excluded from the recall as it - secret grease notwithstanding - still has the problematic dissimilar metal electrical contacts, but on the other hand don't trust the dealership mechanics to properly install the replacement. The shop manual requires that the engine be detached from the subframe and the subframe to be lowered, but I have been told that this is not how the rack replacement is being done.
To my complete surprise and amazement, I received a letter today from GM informing me that my 2015 SS manufactured in April 2015 was being recalled to replace the electric power steering rack. The NHTSA Campaign ID number was given as 20V254. The GM recall is N192285350. Not sure if this is a new campaign to pick up the remaining orphans, or a continuation of the original recall. I did not think this would ever happen. Now I have to decide if there is a local dealer I can trust to do this install. My search a couple of years ago when I was prepared to pay to have a replacement EPS rack installed was unsuccessful.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I just got the letter as well. I've called my dealer who has to order the parts before we can get it scheduled. I haven't had any issues in my ~82K miles of ownership, knock on wood.

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
To my complete surprise and amazement, I received a letter today from GM informing me that my 2015 SS manufactured in April 2015 was being recalled to replace the electric power steering rack. The NHTSA Campaign ID number was given as 20V254. The GM recall is N192285350. Not sure if this is a new campaign to pick up the remaining orphans, or a continuation of the original recall. I did not think this would ever happen. Now I have to decide if there is a local dealer I can trust to do this install. My search a couple of years ago when I was prepared to pay to have a replacement EPS rack installed was unsuccessful.
Got mine yesterday as well for 2015 Alchemy....parts ordered this morning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got mine yesterday as well for 2015 Alchemy....parts ordered this morning.
I received letter for my 2015 yesterday as well. I asked about the steering rack recall while at my local dealer 2 weeks ago and wasn’t showing up at that time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The notification letter for my April build 2015 came in the mail yesterday as well, while the car was at the dealer having the power steering changed out under the safety recall. My first notification about the recall was from Carfax a couple of weeks ago, which I confirmed on the Chevy website. I then asked my dealer to order a rack which arrived at the beginning of this week.

The dealer tech that is doing the job has done a couple of other SS’s previously as well as a PPV. According to the GM recall document, GM is only paying for a front end alignment instead of a 4 wheel alignment. I told the service advisor to have a 4 wheel alignment done and I would pay for it.

The service advisor called this evening to say that the tech had replaced the rack and was re-programming the steering module before doing the alignment tomorrow morning.

Then I get to see if they got it right by trying out the automatic parking feature. Should be fun since I have never used that feature in 48K miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
10/16/20 Update

The dealer called this morning to say that the SS was ready. I picked it up over lunch and drove around the dealer lot trying to get the auto parking assist to work (perpendicular and parallel). The system would find the parking spot, give instructions to stop and put the car in reverse and then each time I would shift into reverse, it would show “steering error” in the DIC even without me touching the steering wheel. After showing the error in the DIC for a few seconds, the system would kick out of auto parking assist mode.

The tech that worked on the car had gone home for the day, so the service writer thought that he would show me that the auto park assist system was working properly. Of course, it did the same thing for him.

So, I will be taking it back to the dealer on Monday. In the mean time, I get to enjoy the SS at Cars & Coffee tomorrow morning.😊

·
Registered
62 Posts
I received letter for my 2015 yesterday as well. I asked about the steering rack recall while at my local dealer 2 weeks ago and wasn’t showing up at that time.
Steering rack replaced today at Mac Haik Chevrolet. They turned it around in one day as promised. The car felt very smooth the entire way home. Pleased with the results thus far!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Steering rack replaced today at Mac Haik Chevrolet. They turned it around in one day as promised. The car felt very smooth the entire way home. Pleased with the results thus far!!
So you're happy with them overall? That's probably where I'll take mine. Does G still work there? If not, anyone specific to ask for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So you're happy with them overall? That's probably where I'll take mine. Does G still work there? If not, anyone specific to ask for?
I worked with Eric after speaking with jim on the phone last Saturday. They mentioned that a past service rep had owner an SS. Perhaps G? Eric was great at keeping me advised of the progress the entire day. I drove plenty in the freeways today and it felt great. Prior to the recall, the car had an odd resonating vibration last couple years I was unable to identify. It seems to be gone. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I worked with Eric after speaking with jim on the phone last Saturday. They mentioned that a past service rep had owner an SS. Perhaps G? Eric was great at keeping me advised of the progress the entire day. I drove plenty in the freeways today and it felt great. Prior to the recall, the car had an odd resonating vibration last couple years I was unable to identify. It seems to be gone. I am very pleased.
Yes, G was a service advisor and owned a 2014 SS. I only took my car in once for a free oil change and he watched after it for me.

Thanks for the names.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mac Haik Houston? Did they have all the parts in stock or did they order them in for you?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts