Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,067 Posts
I’m in the “gap” as well. Having not had any problems, I’m not anxious to have the dealer tear into a perfectly functioning car to fix something that might not break. I don’t put a lot of miles on the car so it could be years before I have a problem, if ever.

Any possibility to talk the dealer/GM into giving me the part and me eating the labor if I ever need it installed???? I’m guessing not since it is theoretically a safety-related recall.

I haven’t had the seat belt recall done either for the above reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.

Reactions: ESindon and CB750

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I’m in the “gap” as well. Having not had any problems, I’m not anxious to have the dealer tear into a perfectly functioning car to fix something that might not break. I don’t put a lot of miles on the car so it could be years before I have a problem, if ever.

Any possibility to talk the dealer/GM into giving me the part and me eating the labor if I ever need it installed???? I’m guessing not since it is theoretically a safety-related recall.

I haven’t had the seat belt recall done either for the above reasons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm of the same mindset as you. I can't stand anyone touching the car until something breaks. Wish I didn't think that way, but I've been burned so many times.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well nice that those of us in the gap period will now be covered.

I assume the couple individuals we read about on here having to fix it out of pocket would be eligible for reimbursement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Question: Is there way to check (without calling the dealer) online to see what, if any, recalls have already been performed? Curious to see if mine was ever previously involved with the PS recall.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
Question: Is there way to check (without calling the dealer) online to see what, if any, recalls have already been performed? Curious to see if mine was ever previously involved with the PS recall.
All '14's were on the recall list.

Go here, punch in your VIN and if the PS recall does not show it was done. You can also look at the P/N on the reack and compare to the recall docs posted on the forum.

To check warranty service history/warranty status you MUST call a GM dealer. You should have checked out this info before buying ANY used vehicle GM or whatever brand.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
All you folks are assuming the recall is for the "missing" VINS.

This has not been determined and will not until the docs and VIN list is released.

Never ASSUME.

Reactions: Headrat

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm not assuming mine will be covered. I'll be pleasently surprised if they do the right thing though and include the gap cars.

·
Registered
306 Posts
All '14's were on the recall list.

Go here, punch in your VIN and if the PS recall does not show it was done. You can also look at the P/N on the reack and compare to the recall docs posted on the forum.

To check warranty service history/warranty status you MUST call a GM dealer. You should have checked out this info before buying ANY used vehicle GM or whatever brand.
Thank you. I saw that link earlier on, but didn't know if it included past recall stuff.

I did check the VIN with the closest local dealer (generally haven't been the most competent for me) prior to purchase, and they either had no info, or showed no past warranty/ recall work done; hence why I asked about checking online for that type of info.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
Thank you. I saw that link earlier on, but didn't know if it included past recall stuff.

I did check the VIN with the closest local dealer (generally haven't been the most competent for me) prior to purchase, and they either had no info, or showed no past warranty/ recall work done; hence why I asked about checking online for that type of info.

It does not show completed recalls.

It only shows open recalls.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What about if he logs onto the my.chevrolet.com website? Will that give him the service records of the previous owner or just his records?

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
What about if he logs onto the my.chevrolet.com website? Will that give him the service records of the previous owner or just his records?
I just logged in.

All my vehicles I bought new except I never deleted my '14 SS and it shows my history but not 2nd owner history.

So I don't know if a second owner will see my history.

Reactions: Sheffield Steve

·
Registered
273 Posts
My car was manufactured in April 2015, and was excluded from the initial electric steering rack recall because it was part of the group that experimented with the secret grease. I just checked the Chevrolet recall website, and the steering rack recall still did not come up for my VIN. Maybe it is too early, if GM's decision to expand the recall is recent (?).

I have so far not had any issues with the power steering, but only have 10,000 miles on the car. I also have already purchased a new steering rack with the correct replacement p/n identified in the recall notice. My concern is that the U.S. (LHD) part is unique in the Holden empire, and may become scarce in the future. I was planning to install the replacement rack soon, but now see that there have been a few instances of power steering failure following rack replacement. Right now my plan is to wait until the steering on my car actually fails, which may never happen. I am disappointed on the one hand that my car was excluded from the recall as it - secret grease notwithstanding - still has the problematic dissimilar metal electrical contacts, but on the other hand don't trust the dealership mechanics to properly install the replacement. The shop manual requires that the engine be detached from the subframe and the subframe to be lowered, but I have been told that this is not how the rack replacement is being done.

·
Registered
870 Posts
500 cars in recall.... can you say needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The way I read the releases is that they are not adding vehicles to the list, only redoing the ones that were part of the original recall but the fix was not satisfactory. My car fits the production range but not part of the original recall. Fine by me, hands off my SS please.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The press release read nothing like the recall. The recall didn’t require inspection..if your car was recalled IT GOT a new rack. Also “defective“ part numbers were listed and these parts were said, “to be replaced“.

Quandry exists for me and others THAT HAVE those recalled part numbers, BUT never were recalled. We will see if we are picked up by this new action.

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
... wait for the details ... most likely after the new year.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Bumping this since the recall letters went out, I got one.

·
Registered
2015 Silver Ice SS w/ sunroof
24 Posts
Just took mine in today. Gave me a 2020 loaner silverado and said it should be done by monday. apparently a 4 hour job with lots of new parts.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts