Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep, have you ever noticed, some of the friendliest places to be is a gun shop and shooting range.
Picking up new 6.5 Creedmoor (CDNN Abilene, TX) from a Friendly local FD employee Saturday. Looking at an affordable fixed power scope with "Japanese" glass.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Yep, have you ever noticed, some of the friendliest places to be is a gun shop and shooting range.
"An armed society is a polite society" - R. Heinlein
Some of the public shooting ranges aren't so great as the RSOs are so jaded and disgusted by the gangsta wannabees and other morons those RSOs too often have a bad attitude. OTOH, the members of a large private club were so welcoming and helpful to my then teenage daughter that she kept coming back for matches and eventually represented our club at state & national competitions.

This thread is spinning off to some weird places...
Drift happens.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
"An armed society is a polite society" - R. Heinlein
My anthropology background has me curious if there's a positive correlation between those who take cold comfort in that phase and those who grew up in a society that was coming to terms with the concept of mutually assured destruction. I hypothesize its largely generational.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I hypothesize its largely generational.
It's also a generational thing that we all (here in Texas) grew up with guns or easy access to them and it never occured to us to go shoot up innocents. If you told gym coach you had a new shotgun he'd ask you to bring it so he could come out into the parking lot and see it. Shoot up a school? Unimaginable!
If one had a beef with someone then you'd duke it out after school, one-on-one, no weapons. No drive by or 6 jumping on 1...even at the toughest schools.
What changed?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Times have indeed changed. There was a time where the worst thing you could imagine was The Christmas Story "you'll shoot your eye out" with the bb gun. That world doesn't exist any more for vast parts of this country. We gotta adapt to what we see and not what we remember.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If one had a beef with someone then you'd duke it out after school, one-on-one, no weapons. No drive by or 6 jumping on 1...even at the toughest schools.
What changed?
We grew up in a different world..... :( I miss it....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I certainly do not disagree with this statement as I've experienced it myself. But I do not think it scales.

"An armed society is a polite society" relies on mutual assured destruction for the politeness. Given mental illness, drug (inc. alcohol) addiction, enormous debt, marital problems, too short of tempers, etc. and you have people where destruction (perhaps momentarily) isn't such a big issue. Of course smaller society structures have this but as population density increases, isolation of individuals does as well. Combine these and then mix in an immediate "solution" that comes with constantly carrying, and I got to believe violent episodes greatly increase. Those episodes might be better mitigated as the good guys respond, but the total toll will be high.

With smaller or tighter knit societies (e.g. family, military), it's easier for others to feel the shock, then rationalise, and then put the violent events behind because "they were part of it" or "they should have saw it coming", etc.. In dense populations, these rationalizations don't hold.

I have no magical solutions as there are pitfalls everywhere but I'm quite certain that having every person eighteen and older pack heat with 40 round magazines 24-7 isn't the answer. In short order, the protection of MAD will dissolve into survival of the fittest.

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Well some of "todays" solutions proved a big failure and going back to the "past" which worked:

Ok, yes. Not everyone learns the same way. Being friends with quite a few teachers has taught me that. Common core works for some but not others. We need a system that responds to kids strengths in order to overcome challenges. No sense beating ones head against a wall when there is another proven option that works.

And by the way I never said ALL today's problems require today's solutions. I said IN LARGE PART.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Those days aren't coming back. Eventually they will only exist in media libraries and senior homes. Today's problems in large part require today's solutions.
I don't know. Today parents don't or seldom discipline their children. Schools, the same.

In my day you thought twice about doing something stupid. In school you could get a good paddle, and when you got home more of the same, or worse. Today bulling gets put on YouTube with little or no consequence. Today's solutions don't seem to be the answer. Today you see people sucker punching senior citizens trying to knock them out, other cruel pranks which can seriously injure, such as the current craze, getting someone to jump as high as they can, then kicking their feet out from under them. Kids today live more in a virtual world, than the real world, and seem to like it.

Sorry, rant over.... and get of my lawn!!!!! 😁

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't know. Today parents don't or seldom discipline their children. Schools, the same.

So so true.

2 true stories:

1- My parents were in Walmart 2 days ago in Florida. A yuppie mother with a 3-4 year old girl put her kicking and screaming at the top of her little lungs fit throwing daughter in the cart in the parking lot and proceeded to go thru the store. The girl was flailing and never stopped to take a breath. Everybody was staring and security was following her around talking about if they could "do anything" because the mother was oblivious to it. My parents as well as many other shoppers left because you could hear it throughout the store. Obviously this was "normal" behavior in Mama's eyes and she was completely numb to it.

2- Back in the early 90's my local progressive award winning school district started teaching "what your parents can't do" lessons. No hitting, no verbal correction, no "you can't do that", no punishment like taking away TV etc. The kiddies were taught this was "child abuse" and to report it to your teacher so your parents can be investigated, arrested and you can be put in a proper foster home free from "abuse". So my ex 10 YO step daughter was acting up as usual. I tell her to stop, sit in her room silently thinking about why she was being punished and she tells me I am abusing her mentally like they taught in school and she was going to report me because I can be arrested for punishing her. I handed her the phone and told her to call 911 and get the State Police to arrest me now. She refused and never "reported me". Not long after I caught her Mother cheating red handed so they were gone right quick. They still teach the same crapola empowering the kids to ignore their parents.

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, yes. Not everyone learns the same way. Being friends with quite a few teachers has taught me that. Common core works for some but not others. We need a system that responds to kids strengths in order to overcome challenges. No sense beating ones head against a wall when there is another proven option that works.

And by the way I never said ALL today's problems require today's solutions. I said IN LARGE PART.
Don't give me that crapola.

Florida standardized test scores are in the toilet since Common Core was instituted. They can't do simple arithmetic because they are not taught it. They cannot count money or make change because they are not taught how to. They can't read. They do not teach cursive handwriting so they can't read it !!! They cannot sign their name; they only know how to print it!!!

So tell me how it works ???

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
And your parents probably thought the things your generation were doing were nonsense and too.

The cycle will continue.

So to will the hubris...

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
In my day you thought twice about doing something stupid. In school you could get a good paddle, and when you got home more of the same, or worse. Today bulling gets put on YouTube with little or no consequence. Today's solutions don't seem to be the answer. Today you see people sucker punching senior citizens trying to knock them out, other cruel pranks which can seriously injure, such as the current craze, getting someone to jump as high as they can, then kicking their feet out from under them. Kids today live more in a virtual world, than the real world, and seem to like it.

What are you gonna do though, shut down the digital age so that everyone magically goes back to growing up like boomers. No amount of back-in-my-day stories are going to roll the clock back.

That doesn't stop us from learning lessons from the past but society is changing fast. There are several problems today that didn't have a solution back then.

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And your parents probably thought the things your generation were doing were nonsense and too.

The cycle will continue.

So to will the hubris...
Great answer !!!!

The 3 R's are not nonsense.

Neither are the basics; because if you don't have the basic knowledge how you gonna survive???

I find it sad that today's kids can't read let alone understand the Declaration of Independence and Constitution. Oh; another thing that is coming back that was cut in Common Core ... history and Social Studies !!!!

·
Premium Member
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What are you gonna do though, shut down the digital age so that everyone magically goes back to growing up like boomers. No amount of back-in-my-day stories are going to roll the clock back.

That doesn't stop us from learning lessons from the past but society is changing fast. There are several problems today that didn't have a solution back then.
The basics never change nor are unneeded in the digital age.

I see it all the time; why does Johnny have to search for a calculator to subtract 37 from 100 ????

Answer: because he was never taught how to.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The "when I was young..." or "back in my day..." etc. (followed by a rant about the idyllic state back then vs. the total calamity and apocalypse today) is as old as the world itself. I've heard it ad nauseam as a "delinquent youth" really long ago (I qualify as a senior boomer). Things were great AND $hitty then, and they are great AND $hitty now. This thread reads a bit like a bunch of grumpy old men rattling over eggs and bacon, only thing missing is stories of prostates and catheters.
I am not belittling the serious issues facing us, but things "back then" were nowhere near as pretty as our dimming nostalgic eyes are trying to paint them.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
The "when I was young..." or "back in my day..." etc. (followed by a rant about the idyllic state back then vs. the total calamity and apocalypse today) is as old as the world itself. I've heard it ad nauseam as a "delinquent youth" really long ago (I qualify as a senior boomer). Things were great AND $hitty then, and they are great AND $hitty now. This thread reads a bit like a bunch of grumpy old men rattling over eggs and bacon, only thing missing is stories of prostates and catheters.
I am not belittling the serious issues facing us, but things "back then" were nowhere near as pretty as our dimming nostalgic eyes are trying to paint them.
Contraction!!

The more things change,,,, The more they remain the same!!!!

There,,,, Fixed it for YA!!!

😐

21 - 40 of 48 Posts