1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
670 Posts
The thing I can't understand is what would they do with the information? Sure it may locate some dissidents they are after but i would expect they would discard the stuff they don't want.

·
Registered
159 Posts
LMAO "discard". Storage is cheap. At 200$ for about 12tb of storage there's no reason to ever discard anything. Especially if you want to review or sell it. Let me know if & how you get your $6 from Equifax!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The thing I can't understand is what would they do with the information? Sure it may locate some dissidents they are after but i would expect they would discard the stuff they don't want.
Should China get tired of the US, it has the full ability to throw everything in turmoil. Start with a few weeks or months of identity theft to half of the American population, then go for shutting down government infrastructure, followed up by utility and telecommunications being shut down. With no power, no infrastructure and no communications, China will be set to take over whatever they want. Obviously, the government has back-up systems for all of these, but the domestic chaos otherwise would take up a lot of government resources.

Just saying, China hasn't been working it's way through these private-sector company computer networks for no reason.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Should China get tired of the US, it has the full ability to throw everything in turmoil. Start with a few weeks or months of identity theft to half of the American population, then go for shutting down government infrastructure, followed up by utility and telecommunications being shut down. With no power, no infrastructure and no communications, China will be set to take over whatever they want. Obviously, the government has back-up systems for all of these, but the domestic chaos otherwise would take up a lot of government resources.

Just saying, China hasn't been working it's way through these private-sector company computer networks for no reason.
What @speedrye is saying could be a lesson in reality. Read the book"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It involves how the Chinese Government, in the case of the book, the North Koreans, could take us, the United States, back to the dark ages with one EMP device. This would be the ultimate destruction of our existance as we know it. When they, the Chinese Government, get tired of not being the ultimate 'World Power', they could do this in an instant. And make it look like a 'rogue' nation, such as North Korea did it!! "Domestic chaos" is putting it mildly. Just look at the 'high lights of the book, 'One Second After'. In the book it mentions that after a period of time, after the EMP has had it's full effect, they, the Chinese, are on our West Coast already. You think the spread of locusts in Africa is bad. Just saying. Frightening-----------

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
One likely goal is to locate Americans with the worst credit scores. These Americans are more likely to be desperate and more willing to commit acts of espionage or treason in exchange for a hand out from China that will help to them get out of debt. The old "i did it to support my family" character conflict from numerous TV shows.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheesh ... the article states the most viable reason; but you have to read to the end !!!

Officials say the information could be used to create "targeting packages", establishing which individuals have access to sensitive information and potential vulnerabilities which would allow them to be approached.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Sheesh ... the article states the most viable reason; but you have to read to the end !!!

Officials say the information could be used to create "targeting packages", establishing which individuals have access to sensitive information and potential vulnerabilities which would allow them to be approached.
Yep everyone I've heard has said that as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the US can build cars that can drive themselves, Spaceships for joyriding, and build weapons that can strike anywhere in the world with pinpoint accuracy. Why in the Hell can't we solve the cyber security issue. Since the US depends so much on the Stock Market /Banking Industry why can't the government or private sector do a better job in protecting the data? Let’s start with Microsoft & Apple I'm just saying.... We're only one major hack away of shutting everything down. Remember the movie "Live Free or Die Hard" it has some truth to think about.

Sorry guys another sore subject of mine :mad:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If the US can build cars that can drive themselves, Spaceships for joyriding, and build weapons that can strike anywhere in the world with pinpoint accuracy. Why in the Hell can't we solve the cyber security issue. Since the US depends so much on the Stock Market /Banking Industry why can't the government or private sector do a better job in protecting the data? Let’s start with Microsoft & Apple I'm just saying.... We're only one major hack away of shutting everything down. Remember the movie "Live Free or Die Hard" it has some truth to think about.

Sorry guys another sore subject of mine :mad:
Well, we're outsourcing a lot of software and security development to the same foreign countries that "somehow" find "holes" in it to exploit later... Makes hacking really easy if you just have to login and not actually hack, haha.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EVERYONE EVERYWHERE is only one major hack away of shutting everything down; not just us here in the US.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Computer security sucks because today's programmers suck, today's programming languages (more like environments that completely hide any semblance of a real computer language) suck, the commercial insanity to push crap out to the consumers before it's ready because they have to beat the other guy with some new feature to market --- and then the consumers that have to have that new feature so they can go look down upon all the rest that don't have it yet with their smug air of superiority. The rush for new features is so insane that new versions are released before they can even fix the bugs of the previous version! I'm looking at you Chrome! (and Firefox now too)

Add to it that the younger generations today won't even look at anything that isn't a smart phone app and internet connected -- and it's a recipe for societal disaster. The thread on the Iowa caucus app is pretty much proof of everything above!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Overlooked is how most of our chips and ASICs are made in China. Would be very easy to put a backdoor into the silicon that is virtually undectable. Who needs a software hack when you've got the hardware hack? How many of those chipsets end up in our military hardware?
BTW, Chinese would be safer landing in California. As they move west will be the "American with a rifle behind every blade of grass". Pols and gullible who are voting for 'gun safety' and demilitarization sort of forget that most of the world doesn't love us near as much as we love them.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Overlooked is how most of our chips and ASICs are made in China. Would be very easy to put a backdoor into the silicon that is virtually undectable. Who needs a software hack when you've got the hardware hack? How many of those chipsets end up in our military hardware?
BTW, Chinese would be safer landing in California. As they move west will be the "American with a rifle behind every blade of grass". Pols and gullible who are voting for 'gun safety' and demilitarization sort of forget that most of the world doesn't love us near as much as we love them.
I think the Chinese have already done the hardware hack, but of course they would never admit it.

My wife grew up in Cuba, and remembers very well the overthrow of the government, and Castro taking over. She was terrified to walk to school during that time, because those who opposed the gorillas were shot or hung, and left along busy roads as an example of what happens to the opposition. Then the disarming of the civilian population.

The only gun free zone I want to see is court rooms , and prisons, anywhere else a citizen should be allowed to carry. I feel right at home when everyone is armed, everyone seems a little more civil. I always wondered why I felt so good driving thru Texas, and other gun friendly states.

Just my opinion, I know some may not agree. Just don't come to my house and try to disarm me, it won't end well.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I think the Chinese have already done the hardware hack, but of course they would never admit it.

My wife grew up in Cuba, and remembers very well the overthrow of the government, and Castro taking over. She was terrified to walk to school during that time, because those who opposed the gorillas were shot or hug, and left along busy roads as an example of what happens to the opposition. Then the disarming of the civilian population.

The only gun free zone I want to see is court rooms , and prisons, anywhere else a citizen should be allowed to carry. I feel right at home when everyone is armed, everyone seems a little more civil. I always wondered why I felt so good driving thru Texas, and other gun friendly states.

Just my opinion, I know some may not agree. Just don't come to my house and try to disarm me, it won't end well.
Could save a lot of tax dollars if you arm prisoners...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Could save a lot of tax dollars if you arm prisoners...
You do have a good point, but I was thinking of the few wrongly convicted inmates, that need a chance to survive.

But then again, collateral damage.....

·
Registered
670 Posts

Why would China want to take over anywhere? The closest they have come to doing that is Tibet which has on and off been part of China for centuries. China hasn't taken Taiwan so they have no track record of wanting to take over anyone. If China wanted to cause problems in the US then they could have sent 100 corona-virus infected people to the US before they announced the epidemic and used them to bring the US (or any country they chose to) to its knees fighting an epidemic which would have rapidly turned in to a pandemic. The US seems to think that you need military to fight a war when you don't. As you allude to with your comment regarding utilities - bring down the power network and disrupt the water supply and sewerage and you cause an awful lot of trouble without using any troops. China is more likely to do such a thing as a retaliation and so are prepared.
The main reason countries try and get info from US is they know the US has been using Crypto to 'listen in' on what countries politicans have ben saying to their diplomats (Russia and China smelt a rat and didn't buy the Swiss product).

·
Registered
876 Posts
feel right at home when everyone is armed, everyone seems a little more civil. I always wondered why I felt so good driving thru Texas, and other gun friendly states.
Yep, have you ever noticed, some of the friendliest places to be is a gun shop and shooting range.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts