Chevy SS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
As much as I hated to do it, I filed for Unemployment Compensation today.

Will have to wait a few weeks to see how that works out.
The new recovery bill they're working on in DC contains one provision to add approximately $600 per week to state-based unemployment payments Things like this help to sustain us because this is going to be unlike anything before.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Amazing how government are the ones who put people out of work and are the ones to "help".

Covid-19 is a concern but the situation is being taken advantage of by politicians.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Amazing how government are the ones who put people out of work and are the ones to "help".

Covid-19 is a concern but the situation is being taken advantage of by politicians.
It's really tough to live with so much paranoia and distrust, isn't it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't call his statement paranoia. Maybe skepticism but it is blatantly obvious that politicians are taking advantage of the situation, or at least trying to. Pelosi tried to wrap so much garbage in with the recently approved COVID-19 relief bill that had absolutely nothing to do with COVID-19 knowing that if republicans turned it down the narrative would be "Oh those terrible republicans... not being bipartisan again". I truly believe that most politicians at that level are corrupt and disconnected from normal human reality.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well, you can insinuate what you will about the man (I think it's needlessly judgemental), but I defy you to tell me that there isn't an enormous amount of pork in that stimulus bill with absolutely NOTHING to do with the problem at hand. Sooooo much excess that your grandchildren will still be paying for it. Sadly, it is all but inevitable that whenever ol' Uncle Sam is forced to open his big wallet nice and wide, there is a feeding frenzy where the vultures come out of the woodwork to feed. It is neither distrustful nor paranoid to see past the myopic view that this is all virtuous efforts required to defeat the pandemic.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I am working from home - and I feel like my work load tripled and my hours are still nuts [i have been working into the evening, just wrapping up with some items as i click between the forum and work to break it up]. I probably wouldn't be allowed into work anyway right now.

My wife works in the medical field and due to recent events is at home until further notice. I feel for her and anyone else in the field every day she has to go into work to deal with this situation.

I feel for everyone in the small business sector and pretty much every aspect of other life - which as we know it has halted.

Not much to do about it due to lack of prep, but that is another item all in itself.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Gents,
To posts #46 & #47 above which responded to my post #45 (sorry I don't know how to do the multiple quote thing):

1. Of course my response was judgmental... so was post #42 which triggered it. We are making judgments about everything we encounter every second we are alive.

2. As to politicians, there are always some bad apples in every barrel. I have seen my share of bad engineers, bad corporate business people, bad contractors, bad gardeners, bad doctors, bad drivers, bad musicians, etc. When I first heard about the attempts to include in the package credits for solar panels and tighter emission regulations for airlines I shook my head in disbelief. (I don't see them in the list below.)
But, to be honest, I would not want to be currently a politician in a leadership role with the enormity, complexity and gravity of the situation facing us. I do watch in admiration politicians rising to the occasion and providing compelling, humanistic, honest, fact based and tireless leadership. Someone has to do this; very very few can, and we do have some of those. ...And, it is us and our fellow Americans (not traitors, not morons) who elected them.
How can you live in one of the freest countries in the world and continually denounce and reject your freely and democratically elected government?? How would you deal with this crisis without federal and local government which can act, however imperfectly? How do you propose a nation of 330 million people survive and function without turning into a very large Afghanistan?

3. As to the amount of pork in the actual package, here is the summary copied over from one of the mainstream outlets - not Fox, not CNN.
  • Direct payments of $1,200 to most individuals making up to $75,000, or $2,400 for couples making up to $150,000. Each dependent child increases the amount by an additional $500. The amount decreases for individuals with incomes above $75,000, and payments cut off for those above $99,000.
  • Expanded unemployment benefits that boost the maximum benefit by $600 per week and provide laid-off workers their full pay for four months. Eligibility is extended to independent contractors and the self-employed.
  • $367 billion in loans for small businesses
  • $150 billion for state and local governments
  • $130 billion for hospitals
  • $500 billion in loans for larger industries, including $25 billion for passenger airlines; $4 billion for carriers; $3 billion for aviation contractors and $17 billion for "businesses critical to maintaining national security.
  • Creation of an oversight board and inspector general to oversee loans to large companies
  • Measure prohibiting companies owned by President Trump and his family from receiving federal relief
  • $25 million for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
  • $400 million for election security grants
Please point out to the pork items you see and clarify your concern. And please check first what exactly is behind the line items of concern and what problems they are designed to address.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I am working from home - and I feel like my work load tripled and my hours are still nuts [i have been working into the evening, just wrapping up with some items as i click between the forum and work to break it up]. I probably wouldn't be allowed into work anyway right now.
I feel that way now working from home. Still have deadlines but now i have a 2 year old crawling all over me needing attention as well. I make up time in the evening. Its impossible to separate work from family time now, don't get me wrong I feel very fortunate that I am still employed. The whole working from home thing wasn't what i always thought it would be.

Saving a lot on gas though.

·
Registered
2016 Mystic Green
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Kelly got a call back to work for today, not mandatory that she goes, there is a option to use vacation time.

She works for Joanne's Fabrics as the manager of their custom framing shop.

Will not be framing today, will be stocking some of the shelves and making masks to donate for the medical industry, first responders etc.

Kelly asked me my thoughts on whether she should go or not, tough question I answered with "do whatever your gut/heart tells you to do".

She was going to do whatever she wanted to anyway, so she is going to go in, even though she has not left the house for a week.

I fully support her decision, but am a little nervous for her well being.

We have made a great team together for well over 30 years, but honestly, if it came down to one of us getting ill, I would prefer it be me, she is basically the "rock", I am more of the "wild card", I would be a bit lost without her.

All else is O.K. on the home front, plenty of work to do around the house and in the yard to keep us busy.

Took the SS out yesterday for a nice cruise to nowhere :)

Take care everyone.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I feel that way now working from home. Still have deadlines but now i have a 2 year old crawling all over me needing attention as well. I make up time in the evening. Its impossible to separate work from family time now, don't get me wrong I feel very fortunate that I am still employed. The whole working from home thing wasn't what i always thought it would be.

Saving a lot on gas though.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'll be working in rooms the kid doesn't go in, so hopefully that will help. Actually, I'm more afraid I'll have a hard time focusing because I have so many local distractions pulling my attention away. I could go down and work on one of the cars. I could clean my garage. I could get a head start planting the garden. I could get on the tractor and go dig something up. Who knows? These are things I don't have to think about when I'm in the office. I don't think I'm a work-from-home person.

On that note, in re-reading the county mandates, my job could be construed as essential. I'm leaning towards staying home anyway.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have spent this week in Ft Myers staying at my son's house. He had some medical issues, and needed to be driven to a couple of appointments on Monday, and his girlfriend could not get off work to help, so I came over. Did a bunch of work on his house when time allowed, cleaned out the garage so I could get Miss Ruby parked inside, and that gave me some piece of mind. He is doing much better, so will be driving home to Miami later today.

It was nice to come over to the West coast of Florida for a while. At home my wife is working, and caring for her mother, who had a stroke two months ago, she is now a total invalid, paralyzed on her left side, and is bed ridden. Her mother had been getting physical therapy at home, and that had to be discontinued, as one of the therapists had been in a home with the virus and was quarantined. So we decided no more physical therapy until this threat is over, and it will pass.

Just hope we can all get thru this. I am an old fart, but have no existing conditions, so maybe I will survive. I remember my grandfather telling me in detail about the 1918 Spanish Flu. They stayed on their farm for about 8 months with no outside contact, but they had all they needed as far as food and water. They had chickens, cows, hogs, and horses, and a huge garden, as well as fields of corn. Made their own sour mash, and wine.

It is a busy crazy time for me, never a dull moment. Cherish your family, and hope for the best.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gents,
To posts #46 & #47 above which responded to my post #45 (sorry I don't know how to do the multiple quote thing):

1. Of course my response was judgmental... so was post #42 which triggered it. We are making judgments about everything we encounter every second we are alive.

2. As to politicians, there are always some bad apples in every barrel. I have seen my share of bad engineers, bad corporate business people, bad contractors, bad gardeners, bad doctors, bad drivers, bad musicians, etc. When I first heard about the attempts to include in the package credits for solar panels and tighter emission regulations for airlines I shook my head in disbelief. (I don't see them in the list below.)
But, to be honest, I would not want to be currently a politician in a leadership role with the enormity, complexity and gravity of the situation facing us. I do watch in admiration politicians rising to the occasion and providing compelling, humanistic, honest, fact based and tireless leadership. Someone has to do this; very very few can, and we do have some of those. ...And, it is us and our fellow Americans (not traitors, not morons) who elected them.
How can you live in one of the freest countries in the world and continually denounce and reject your freely and democratically elected government?? How would you deal with this crisis without federal and local government which can act, however imperfectly? How do you propose a nation of 330 million people survive and function without turning into a very large Afghanistan?

3. As to the amount of pork in the actual package, here is the summary copied over from one of the mainstream outlets - not Fox, not CNN.
  • Direct payments of $1,200 to most individuals making up to $75,000, or $2,400 for couples making up to $150,000. Each dependent child increases the amount by an additional $500. The amount decreases for individuals with incomes above $75,000, and payments cut off for those above $99,000.
  • Expanded unemployment benefits that boost the maximum benefit by $600 per week and provide laid-off workers their full pay for four months. Eligibility is extended to independent contractors and the self-employed.
  • $367 billion in loans for small businesses
  • $150 billion for state and local governments
  • $130 billion for hospitals
  • $500 billion in loans for larger industries, including $25 billion for passenger airlines; $4 billion for carriers; $3 billion for aviation contractors and $17 billion for "businesses critical to maintaining national security.
  • Creation of an oversight board and inspector general to oversee loans to large companies
  • Measure prohibiting companies owned by President Trump and his family from receiving federal relief
  • $25 million for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
  • $400 million for election security grants
Please point out to the pork items you see and clarify your concern. And please check first what exactly is behind the line items of concern and what problems they are designed to address.
The mere attempt to put things like solar panels and tighter emission regulations for airlines as well as relieving the US Postal Service debt to the treasury and laws mandating early voting and same day voter registration shows that... even in a crisis you can count on politicians to push that agenda at the expense of the american people. All of that ridiculousness added a few days to getting the bill approved. I am sure that someone, somewhere will perish as a result of not getting that check a day or 2 earlier to buy insulin or some other lifesaving drug.
I am actually surprised by the bill to be honest. The fact that it even attempts to help the everyman is pretty awesome.
As for politicians and "honesty" if you take a peep at some of the loudest players net worth and the salary they receive for their position... makes a feller wonder how you become that wealthy on that salary without a little bit of shadiness.
The founding fathers wanted every american to continuously question the government (and have the ability to fight it, but that's an entirely different topic) to prevent tyranny and oppression. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
There is always "pork" (i.e. Items not releated to the title of the bill) in any bill. It's just the way it works. Here are a few:

Arts: $150 million for federal grants to state and local arts and humanities programs; $75 million for Corporation for Public Broadcasting; $25 million for Washington, D.C., Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

Elections: $400 million to help states prepare for 2020 elections with steps including expanded vote by mail, additional polling locations.

Education: $31 billion. Includes $13.5 billion for states to distribute to local schools and programs, $14 billion to help universities and colleges.

Transportation: Includes $25 billion for public transit systems; $10 billion for publicly owned commercial airports, intended to sustain 430,000 transit jobs; $1 billion for Amtrak.

Social programs: Includes $3.5 billion in grants for child care and early education programs; $1 billion in grants to help communities address local economic problems; $900 million in heating, cooling aid for low-income families; $750 million for extra staffing for Head Start programs.

Congress: $93 million, including $25 million for the House and $10 million for the smaller Senate for teleworking and other costs; $25 million for cleaning the Capitol and congressional office buildings.

For anyone who wants to read the actual bill. It's available as a pdf here on a government site:

·
Registered
936 Posts
The mere attempt to put things like solar panels and tighter emission regulations for airlines as well as relieving the US Postal Service debt to the treasury and laws mandating early voting and same day voter registration shows that... even in a crisis you can count on politicians to push that agenda at the expense of the american people. All of that ridiculousness added a few days to getting the bill approved. I am sure that someone, somewhere will perish as a result of not getting that check a day or 2 earlier to buy insulin or some other lifesaving drug.
I am actually surprised by the bill to be honest. The fact that it even attempts to help the everyman is pretty awesome.
As for politicians and "honesty" if you take a peep at some of the loudest players net worth and the salary they receive for their position... makes a feller wonder how you become that wealthy on that salary without a little bit of shadiness.
The founding fathers wanted every american to continuously question the government (and have the ability to fight it, but that's an entirely different topic) to prevent tyranny and oppression. Just my .02.
Agree with most everything you said. However the fact that these idiotic items were #1 visible, #2 very small compared to the total, and #3 removed tells me that the political process works, however imperfectly.
As to the underligned portion (by me), 2 comments:
a) So why aren't all the people united behind the free press, which is one of our best tools to continuously question the government, but rather so many are falling for the government's propaganda against it.
b) Regarding the entirely different topic in parentheses, why are we so often forgetting the first 13 words.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I would agree that things do have a tendency of shaking out how they should. I also understand the concept of pushing for a lot in hopes that a little will make it through to the end. Just disgusted that politicians on both sides of the isle wouldn't look at the current economic situation and say "hey, no pork on this one guys. Lets get this done so we can help the most people in the quickest fashion" rather than positioning themselves in a way to make "the other side" look like they don't want to help the american people.
In response to your other topics
a) I personally try to ingest news from as many viewpoints as possible rather than having CNN or Fox be my primary or only info source like it appears most Americans do. I also can tell you that a lot of the stories that pop up daily on my google news feed have headlines that sound very factual and in reality the article is very bias one way or the other or a complete opinion piece. In an age where the New York Times endorses presidential candidates is the press really "free" anymore?
b) As far as I can tell its because most people these days do not hunt or grow up around hunting where you learn to respect and properly use a firearm. Anything can be made to sound terrifying if you don't understand it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Some good news form the New England Journal of Medicine:

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS"

Editorial: Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
On that note, in re-reading the county mandates, my job could be construed as essential. I'm leaning towards staying home anyway.
I think if you can (however difficult) work from home, then you should given the circumstances.

My boss is the only person in the office now. He's include his work station as part of his SIP and we are all being asked to respect it and not show up.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
But at some point all of us will have to catch the virus.

All these measures are just designed to SLOW the spread, so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. (And it's working as they aren't yet, despite the hype)

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.