Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good for you, turn those wrenches! And log your mileage/date of work on a piece of paper to keep with the car.

Autozone or O'Reilly will take used oil, a local mechanic may give you a hard time. O'Reilly and autozone have corporate guidelines. So the associate may not want to help you, but they have to. A mechanic could feel compelled to charge you a "disposal fee" or flat out refuse to take "outside oil".

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
From now on either go to the dealer, or find a trustworthy independent to change your oil. Stay away from quick change places with a revolving door of underpaid techs who's sal plan includes commissions on upselling services such as change the power steering fluid on a car with an electric rack. If unwilling to do your own oil, at least learn how to read the dipstick and check once a week.
Agreed, but regardless where you go ALWAYS double-check the levels (oil, coolant, whatever) that were serviced, preferably before leaving the shop. TOO many examples in this forum of dealer and other shops getting these basic services on the SS wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
From now on either go to the dealer, or find a trustworthy independent to change your oil. Stay away from quick change places with a revolving door of underpaid techs who's sal plan includes commissions on upselling services such as change the power steering fluid on a car with an electric rack. If unwilling to do your own oil, at least learn how to read the dipstick and check once a week.
You mean just in case the car computer isn't performing correctly regarding fluid alerts and warnings?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
It may have been said but when you're inexperienced don't pay for any extra service and make one trip to the Dealer. You should be good from that point. Then leave it a while on a very flat surface (I prefer to park it on the curb in front of my house and check everything in the AM) and check it. Assuming they did everything right this is now your base line. Make note of it. It doesn't sound like you drive it hard or that often and in that case check everything the same way every two to thee weeks and you're fine (and before any road trip).

Cheers,

This is why I love this community! You guys rock!! Thanks for some chuckles too. I will try to make it a better habit to check under the hood and the dip stick on a regular basis.

I think this was a push for me to start looking into doing my own oil changes, at least this precious one. Follow-up question to that, what's the best way to dispose of used oil, take it to any mechanics shop?

Reactions: phoenician117

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agreed, but regardless where you go ALWAYS double-check the levels (oil, coolant, whatever) that were serviced, preferably before leaving the shop. TOO many examples in this forum of dealer and other shops getting these basic services on the SS wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First dealer oil change only received 6 quarts. It was an easy decision to buy some ramps and do myself. It doesn’t hurt to have a look under the car once-in-a-while. I also found a different dealer for service on my precious SS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having a bit of anxiety right now. I went to get my oil changed at a Valvoline drive through supplying my own oil (Kirkland full synthetic) and filter (ACDelco). The tech informs me that there was no oil on my dipstick and recommends doing an engine flush. I initially agreed and I didn't like the sound of there not being any oil on the dipstick, but for whatever reason I decided to look it up in the OM. From the OM: "Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty." I then told them not to do the flush and just change the oil. The tech then recommended an alternative to flush/clean the fuel system. I declined that as well and I wanted to ask the collective SS hive mind here. Is that something that should be done as well? They recommend fuel treatment every 3mo/7500mi, fuel system service every 15k mi, and a fuel filter every 30k mi. Bonus recommendation was to also service my power steering fluid as well (recommended every 30k mi). No where in the OM are these things recommended...

My anxiety is worried something may be wrong. My last oil change was done at ~46k mi and I'm at ~54k (<12months). I change the oil when the car tells me too, I assume it's smart enough to tell me when it wants to be changed. It's my daily and I'm basically changing the oil 1-2 times a year. An additional point that was brought to my attention, the engine coolant was really low (no overheating messages ever appeared). Could there be something causing these issues? There seems to be nothing leaking on my garage floor to indicate to me that there is an issue.

I'm looking to be put at ease and make sure I'm doing the right maintenance that's actually required for the car and not recommended by a random service tech. Sorry for the brain dump and any advice/reassurance is greatly appreciated in advanced!

My stats should be in my sig, but car is 2017 M6 54k mi with a CAI and tune.
Everyone already hit it on the head, seedy quick lube joints are never a good idea. Find you a reputable and locally owned general repair shop to handle your basic maintenance. Meet the owner first, then trust your gut if the place feels right.
As for fuel treatment, the OM lays it out in black and white- TECRON. I buy 1 bottle ($11 at any parts store) and pour it in every 3k miles during a fill up. Best (and cheapest) investment you’ll ever make for preventative maintenance on our cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should be checking your oil every time you fill the tank, you'll never have to worry. As for the rest of it, go by the owners manual recommended service intervals. You could tell them to change the power steering fluid, but who knows where they'd put it since your car doesn't take any.
I'm having a bit of anxiety right now. I went to get my oil changed at a Valvoline drive through supplying my own oil (Kirkland full synthetic) and filter (ACDelco). The tech informs me that there was no oil on my dipstick and recommends doing an engine flush. I initially agreed and I didn't like the sound of there not being any oil on the dipstick, but for whatever reason I decided to look it up in the OM. From the OM: "Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty." I then told them not to do the flush and just change the oil. The tech then recommended an alternative to flush/clean the fuel system. I declined that as well and I wanted to ask the collective SS hive mind here. Is that something that should be done as well? They recommend fuel treatment every 3mo/7500mi, fuel system service every 15k mi, and a fuel filter every 30k mi. Bonus recommendation was to also service my power steering fluid as well (recommended every 30k mi). No where in the OM are these things recommended...

My anxiety is worried something may be wrong. My last oil change was done at ~46k mi and I'm at ~54k (<12months). I change the oil when the car tells me too, I assume it's smart enough to tell me when it wants to be changed. It's my daily and I'm basically changing the oil 1-2 times a year. An additional point that was brought to my attention, the engine coolant was really low (no overheating messages ever appeared). Could there be something causing these issues? There seems to be nothing leaking on my garage floor to indicate to me that there is an issue.

I'm looking to be put at ease and make sure I'm doing the right maintenance that's actually required for the car and not recommended by a random service tech. Sorry for the brain dump and any advice/reassurance is greatly appreciated in advanced!

Isn't your steering rack electric?
More importantly find another mechanic cause these people sound like their taking you for a ride.
Although another topic, My HSV Senator has electric steering and it feels weird. I'd much prefer the hydraulic type.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Don’t use Kirkland oil that **** burns fast blew the motor in my daily 2016 Honda Accord sport m6 after switched from mobile 1 I had the motor replaced and I’m sticking with mobile 1 and I would do a coolant replacement and replace the fluids that also go bad after time

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum @HSV340 . The SS is indeed EPS, hence the last line in the post you quoted (y)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Don’t use Kirkland oil that **** burns fast blew the motor in my daily 2016 Honda Accord sport m6 after switched from mobile 1 I had the motor replaced and I’m sticking with mobile 1 and I would do a coolant replacement and replace the fluids that also go bad after time
I highly doubt it was the oil that caused it. Regardless, it is fine to use in our cars:

"Kirkland Signature™ Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is formulated to reduce wear on critical parts and maximizes fuel economy. Our 100% synthetic formulation provides long-lasting engine protection and performance.

For use in gasoline, flex-fuel or gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles requiring SAE 5W-30 API SN PLUS, SN, SL and ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 or previous standards.
Approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2 5W-30."

·
Registered
640 Posts
Find a local service person / shop that enjoys working on cars, maybe even determines what cars they want to work on or specialize in. It may cost a bit more, there may be a wait, they may not have loaners but you will receive service from someone who has passion for preserving a cars performance and either researches or knows from experience. Someone who knows LS engines and modern transmissions is probably easy, finding someone who knows the Holden Commodore chassis and related uniqueness is even better. You can really hurt this car jacking it up wrong...you can really hurt this car doing a 5 qt oil change. The last time I had my SS into the Chevy dealer (a good story.) the tech stood over my engine bay and didnt like what it sounded like. None of the other techs liked what it sounded like. It was in there for a faulty/int. oil pressure sensor but ended up getting new lifters and a new camshaft, I thought it sounded like a "typical LS engine with sewing machine valvetrain and a wobbly balancer". They said, "NO, it sounds like a typical LS engine with sewing machine valvetrain and wobbly balancer with 200,000 cop car miles on it....not 22,000 miles" .

21 - 32 of 32 Posts